When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Does this guy on twitter have a name?

*Not being facetious, I would like to see/know who it was that said it.

It kind of makes sense if you ask me, 27 other NHL teams could have announced a Yawney hiring by now, but if he's agreed to join Mclellan and the Oilers it makes sense to keep it under wraps, especially if Viveiros is coming aboard too.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Does this guy on twitter have a name?

*Not being facetious, I would like to see/know who it was that said it.

It kind of makes sense if you ask me, 27 other NHL teams could have announced a Yawney hiring by now, but if he's agreed to join Mclellan and the Oilers it makes sense to keep it under wraps, especially if Viveiros is coming aboard too.
Joshua Marshall tweeted it out, so don't hold your breath. He's the Eklund of Western Canada.

Reactions: McFuhryous

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Some guy on twitter saying we have hired Yawney, Gulatzan and the Swift Current head coach. Says will be announced after memorial cup.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I've heard this for a while as well but, yes, take it with a grain of salt for now

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Heard from a Source (not twitter) that Gulutzen signed a 3 year deal. Yawney signed as well but no word on length.

I do see it mentioned in here but I heard from someone very close to the situation.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Heard from a Source (not twitter) that Gulutzen signed a 3 year deal. Yawney signed as well but no word on length.

I do see it mentioned in here but I heard from someone very close to the situation.

Interesting.

I'm curious the reasons around Yawney's availability? As far as I can tell, his contract expired and the Ducks chose not to bring him back.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's it foolish to hope that new assistants can change the strategy/philosophy of the head coach? That's what I'm stuck hoping for for next season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It's it foolish to hope that new assistants can change the strategy/philosophy of the head coach? That's what I'm stuck hoping for for next season.
I’m sceptical new assistants change Mclellan. He is who he is. Unless the assistants are matching lines and making in game adjustments themselves, I don’t see how his coaching changes. Those are the big issues. If that ends up happening then what need is there for Mclellan?

The assistants made be able to help players with skills and systems and that will help. Unfortunately, the games still need to be played and that’s where Mclellan struggles the most.

Reactions: oobga

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I have too (and not from twitter).

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I’m sceptical new assistants change Mclellan. He is who he is. Unless the assistants are matching lines and making in game adjustments themselves, I don’t see how his coaching changes. Those are the big issues. If that ends up happening then what need is there for Mclellan?

The assistants made be able to help players with skills and systems and that will help. Unfortunately, the games still need to be played and that’s where Mclellan struggles the most.

Maybe new assistants indicates that McLellan is willing to change or at least the message has been sent that he needs to change. Assistant coaches that actually do their job well might allow McLellan to actually focus entirely on his job rather than having do the jobs Woodcroft and Johnson were supposed to.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe new assistants indicates that McLellan is willing to change or at least the message has been sent that he needs to change. Assistant coaches that actually do their job well might allow McLellan to actually focus entirely on his job rather than having do the jobs Woodcroft and Johnson were supposed to.
We can always hope right? He’s still the coach so there isn’t much choice. Most people have no trouble changing who they are and how they do things.;)

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
We can always hope right? He’s still the coach so there isn’t much choice. Most people have no trouble changing who they are and how they do things.;)

I was supportive of hiring McLellan but became less supportive when he decided to bring Woodcroft and Johnson along. The issue in San Jose of course was their playoff results and I felt the players, coaches and management all deserved some level of blame for the results. By keeping Woodcroft and Johnson as his assistants it made me think that maybe McLellan didn't see or didn't want to admit that coaching was part of the problem in San Jose. So one of the major issues I had with McLellan seems to be remedied, as long as the new assistants do their job well, and it is unlikely he will survive another poor season. Considering that his career is on the line that is pretty good incentive for him to change how he does things.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Worst case scenario is they make the postseason, beat an inferior opponent in round one, lose to an equal or better team in round 2, and everyone returns. Personally, I'd give him the boot (Depending on injuries) if they don't make the conference finals. But my standards are pretty high. Others will differ.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Worst case scenario is they make the postseason, beat an inferior opponent in round one, lose to an equal or better team in round 2, and everyone returns. Personally, I'd give him the boot (Depending on injuries) if they don't make the conference finals. But my standards are pretty high. Others will differ.
Anything is possible. Maybe new assistants change everything for Mclellan. I personally don’t think this will make a difference for him. We’ve got a big sample size to draw from figuring out what kind of coach he is, three seasons here plus all that time in San Jose. He’s a decent systems guy which helps his team in the regular season when other coaches don’t game plan much for individual teams. He’s not a very good head to head tactician which is why he’s struggled so much in the post season when other coaches devise specific game plans. Maybe he gets this team playing a little more structured next year and the team gets in a playoff race. I thought we were at that place last year and we weren’t. No guarantees evidently but even if he improves the team to that point, I think that’s the ceiling for him.

Reactions: PulYou

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Anything is possible. Maybe new assistants change everything for Mclellan. I personally don’t think this will make a difference for him. We’ve got a big sample size to draw from figuring out what kind of coach he is, three seasons here plus all that time in San Jose. He’s a decent systems guy which helps his team in the regular season when other coaches don’t game plan much for individual teams. He’s not a very good head to head tactician which is why he’s struggled so much in the post season when other coaches devise specific game plans. Maybe he gets this team playing a little more structured next year and the team gets in a playoff race. I thought we were at that place last year and we weren’t. No guarantees evidently but even if he improves the team to that point, I think that’s the ceiling for him.

I guess it all depends on what this team's expectations are. If they want to just make the playoffs and take a
"Anything can happen approach", McLellan is their man. If they are serious about being a cup contender, he isn't the man.

Personally, I think the bar should be third round at minimum ( Without injuries). I fear just making the playoffs will be enough for the front office to say: " See there's lots of improvement"!!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Indeed.

This is especially true when you are replacing the entire assistant coaching staff.
Room full of yes men or guys who think the same can let the coach be complacent. Move that around and it can fix things. Get some guys with different idea and who aren't afraid to have different thoughts.

Reactions: McCupofOil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Room full of yes men or guys who think the same can let the coach be complacent. Move that around and it can fix things. Get some guys with different idea and who aren't afraid to have different thoughts.

Completely agree.
I do not subscribe to the 'McLellan is an idiot' group like many posters on here. I do however (from my limited coaching experiences) understand that its tough not to stubbornly hold to the things that always worked in the past and if the voices around you arent strong enough to challenge that (when need be) then its a big problem.

So I think you raise some strong points.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It should also be mentioned that Mclellan delegated the lions share of game planning to Woodcroft (said so himself) and apparently took over the anemic PK from Johnson when it was at its worst and improved it so it does appear that the assistants played a big part in the demise of the Special Teams last season.

I expect with these new assistants, that Mclellan will have an open mind and be willing to change systems and player approach as need be.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we get the short end of the officiating stick again someone needs to grow a pair and say something. That is one of my many beefs with Todd.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->