When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah, just finished reading it. A fairly candid interview from him.

He's not necessarily wrong about the things he says about how PBP guys are "recommended" by their Sportsnet paymaster to accentuate the positive, but it should be noted that all the Sportsnet broadcasts are like this. It's not specifically an Oilers thing.

It's also laid bare, if it weren't blatantly obvious already, that he would quite literally jump on a grenade for TM and Woodcroft. If those two ever perished in a plane crash or whatever, Remenda would be the one giving the tearful eulogy. It's also fairly plain that he's no big fan of the Oilers organization in general, and their fans in particular...he knows he's not popular with them, and he really couldn't care less.

I have to wonder if Sportsnet is going to be a bit miffed with Remenda after this off the cuff interview he did with his SJ homeboys. It's not exactly flattering on either Sportsnet or the team they have a partnership with.

Bring back Debrusk!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah, just finished reading it. A fairly candid interview from him.

He's not necessarily wrong about the things he says about how PBP guys are "recommended" by their Sportsnet paymaster to accentuate the positive, but it should be noted that all the Sportsnet broadcasts are like this. It's not specifically an Oilers thing.

It's also laid bare, if it weren't blatantly obvious already, that he would quite literally jump on a grenade for TM and Woodcroft. If those two ever perished in a plane crash or whatever, Remenda would be the one giving the tearful eulogy. It's also fairly plain that he's no big fan of the Oilers organization in general, and their fans in particular...he knows he's not popular with them, and he really couldn't care less.

I have to wonder if Sportsnet is going to be a bit miffed with Remenda after this off the cuff interview he did with his SJ homeboys. It's not exactly flattering on either Sportsnet or the team they have a partnership with.

Honestly I cant imagine why Sportsnet would be miffed by this.
Its one thing to disagree with him but I really dont see a single thing in that interview that was contentious.

Actually....I dont really like listening to his color commentary but I agree with a lot of what he said in the interview.

I also understand why he would love the Bay area over the brutal winters in Edmonton...thats a no brainer.
It was an honest interview which IMO was refreshing.
So again I am still not really a fan of his (and wouldn't complain if he was replaced on Oiler broadcasts) but I cant fault him for his honesty in that interview.

Reactions: McFuhryous

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Something I bumped into... Got me worried Oiler's are headed to a similar season when sticking with McLellan.

Reading this article it's like deja vu, starting with "Hockey is so much about finding that chemistry. But darn it, the coach spent far too long trying to find each a better fit."

And "They realize it was not the coach who failed to do anything of substance in free agency or at the trade deadline."

"...this season saw little growth in key young players, especially last season’s rookies, Tomas Hertl and Matt Nieto. Too many players regressed, only Tommy Wingels really seemed to advance." And so on...

https://thehockeywriters.com/the-demise-of-todd-mclellan-in-san-jose/

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Something I bumped into... Got me worried Oiler's are headed to a similar season when sticking with McLellan.

Reading this article it's like deja vu, starting with "Hockey is so much about finding that chemistry. But darn it, the coach spent far too long trying to find each a better fit."

And "They realize it was not the coach who failed to do anything of substance in free agency or at the trade deadline."

"...this season saw little growth in key young players, especially last season’s rookies, Tomas Hertl and Matt Nieto. Too many players regressed, only Tommy Wingels really seemed to advance." And so on...

Man, you are really dedicated to researching all things Oilers/Pulju! Next, I'm expecting to see you find some article about Chiarelli his first season in Boston, lol.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This is an interesting critique worthy of discussion IMO.....

Burning players out is nothing new for McLellan. Defenseman Dan Boyle played huge minutes for the Sharks, even finishing 7th in the league in ice time at age 35, when he was years older than anyone else with similar minutes. As skilled and determined as Boyle was at the time, less would have been more. And now, at age 35, Patrick Marleau is among the league leaders among ice time for forwards. Joe Thornton, also 35, would also be pretty high up in ice time if not for missing a few games with injury. Joe Pavelski, who works as hard as anyone and spends plenty of time battling in the paint with his modest frame, is another near the top in minutes. All three were among the top 30 forwards in ice time last season. Is it any coincidence their play in the postseason last year dropped as soon as the games went every other day? Less is more, something lost on the coach.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
This is an interesting critique worthy of discussion IMO.....

Burning players out is nothing new for McLellan. Defenseman Dan Boyle played huge minutes for the Sharks, even finishing 7th in the league in ice time at age 35, when he was years older than anyone else with similar minutes. As skilled and determined as Boyle was at the time, less would have been more. And now, at age 35, Patrick Marleau is among the league leaders among ice time for forwards. Joe Thornton, also 35, would also be pretty high up in ice time if not for missing a few games with injury. Joe Pavelski, who works as hard as anyone and spends plenty of time battling in the paint with his modest frame, is another near the top in minutes. All three were among the top 30 forwards in ice time last season. Is it any coincidence their play in the postseason last year dropped as soon as the games went every other day? Less is more, something lost on the coach.

Yeah. Definitely still a habit of his - look at Talbot especially, but his also usage of McDavid and Drai. Drai definitely could have used a cut in playtime I think, he looked pretty worn out by year's end.

Reactions: PulYou

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Man, you are really dedicated to researching all things Oilers/Pulju! Next, I'm expecting to see you find some article about Chiarelli his first season in Boston, lol.

Believe it or not, this was not intentional. :laugh: I was reading twitter and honestly just bumped into this. Of cource I had to read it... :laugh: And while reading it, got worried once again...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeah. Definitely still a habit of his - look at Talbot especially, but his also usage of McDavid and Drai. Drai definitely could have used a cut in playtime I think, he looked pretty worn out by year's end.

Talbot's usage was the first thing that came to mind although he really didnt have another option. So that might be more on Chiarelli.
The extra playing time not surprisingly didnt seem to affect McDavid at all. I am sure a lot of other coaches would have played the best player on the planet the same way so I dont have an issue there.

Driasaitl is an interesting case...I need to dig into his minutes a bit more.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Talbot's usage was the first thing that came to mind although he really didnt have another option. So that might be more on Chiarelli.
The extra playing time not surprisingly didnt seem to affect McDavid at all. I am sure a lot of other coaches would have played the best player on the planet the same way so I dont have an issue there.

My only issue with his usage of McDavid was that he didn't cut Connor's playtime after he came back from his awful flu. Otherwise, yeah. McDavid seems to thrive on ridiculous minutes and he's flat out amazing so why not.

Drai I'm not certain was overplayed but it just seemed like a lot of his 'laziness' was exhaustion to me. Plus he's had past years where he clearly burned out as the year wound on. But he was fine last playoffs so who knows.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My only issue with his usage of McDavid was that he didn't cut Connor's playtime after he came back from his awful flu. Otherwise, yeah. McDavid seems to thrive on ridiculous minutes and he's flat out amazing so why not.

Drai I'm not certain was overplayed but it just seemed like a lot of his 'laziness' was exhaustion to me. Plus he's had past years where he clearly burned out as the year wound on. But he was fine last playoffs so who knows.

I didnt have time to check Leon's usage but his overall TOI wasnt really all that different from last season. Approx 25 seconds per game. So really its just an extra shift per game.

I am inclined to think that Leons problem was that he got a little too self satisfied with the contract he signed. Like many other players he looked self satisfied and lazy far too often.
Hopefully he re-commits himself next season.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I don’t see much of an issue with McDavid’s ice time. At 21 and in great shape he can play all night. We do see the pattern repeating, though, with the minutes handed to Lucic and Letestu before he was traded.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don’t see much of an issue with McDavid’s ice time. At 21 and in great shape he can play all night. We do see the pattern repeating, though, with the minutes handed to Lucic and Letestu before he was traded.

Agree on McDavid.
As for Lucic and Letestu...I was referring more to the article about players being played to the point of exhaustion.
I dont think that applies to Lestetu and Lucic.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I know it's a completely different sport and situation, but Casey getting fired shows just how lucky McLellan is to still have a head coaching job, imo.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I know it's a completely different sport and situation, but Casey getting fired shows just how lucky McLellan is to still have a head coaching job, imo.

Considering he survived a 25 point drop in the standings, he is damn lucky. I still think they were waiting to pounce on Qunneville but once he was given the thumbs up by Bowman to return, the Oilers (coincidentally) announced Mclellan would be returning a few weeks later. Their "forensic audit" must have concluded there wasn't anyone available who would be "better" than what they currently have for a head coach.

Reactions: PulYou

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Do fans think they beat Anaheim with a different coach last season? Some of his decisions were mind boggling. That should've had him on notice.

Yeah they would've been off facing the Preds, Game 5 would've been won. Can't believe we're going to suffer another season of this idiot koala. gonna ask my Dr to up my blood pressure meds.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Do fans think they beat Anaheim with a different coach last season? Some of his decisions were mind boggling. That should've had him on notice.
They had the ducks beat by a country mile. It was the zebras they couldn't outperform.

But yes , a coach with some balls would have called out the league the first time they got jobbed, not bent over a 2nd time.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There goes Bob name dropping the Swift Current Broncos head coach's name again, saying several Pacific teams are interested in bringing him aboard as an NHL coach. He then closes it by saying "...so we'll see what happens there." with a quite audible double-tap of his pen on the desk.

Reactions: KYams17

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Considering he survived a 25 point drop in the standings, he is damn lucky. I still think they were waiting to pounce on Qunneville but once he was given the thumbs up by Bowman to return, the Oilers (coincidentally) announced Mclellan would be returning a few weeks later. Their "forensic audit" must have concluded there wasn't anyone available who would be "better" than what they currently have for a head coach.
Mclellan was so awful last year that you wouldn’t have to look too hard to find someone better. It’s not as if he’s had the same results here as he did in San Jose or Casey did with the Raptors where he’s winning division titles every year but just falling short in the playoffs so you hope to find a guy to get the team over the last bump. The Oilers finished in 24th place for crying out loud. There’s a lot of room for improvement. The “find somebody better” excuse doesn’t hold much water.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Some guy on twitter saying we have hired Yawney, Gulatzan and the Swift Current head coach. Says will be announced after memorial cup.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Some guy on twitter saying we have hired Yawney, Gulatzan and the Swift Current head coach. Says will be announced after memorial cup.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I just hope that coaching will be a strength this upcoming season and not a weakness like it was this past season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad