OT: When do you trade PLD (MOD WARNING to non-CBJ fans post 745)

When do you trade PLD

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I think Columbus will be a top 3 team in Finland

I don't think so. NHL isn't so popular in Finland at the moment compared to for example those times when Selänne was popular but those who follow the game, have mostly already chosen a team to support. Then if we consider potential new fans who are growing up, there are kind of so many other interesting sports that are also popular and in hockey the national team and Liiga teams dominate. Therefore it's very difficult to make a team popular here unless it starts to win Stanley Cups and gets more coverage. Dallas and Carolina currently have that kind of potential because they have several Finnish players and have played quite well. I don't see how Columbus could be popular in Finland in a short term because most people don't even know that a city called Columbus exists. It's probably with Ottawa the most EVVK team right now. The most popular teams in Finland are those ones that have been around for a long time. They either had Finnish players and succeeded or had players like Gretzky or Lemieux that everyone in the hockey world followed. Even Red Wings with that Russian style of play attracted a lot of people to follow them because it was based on skill. It requires quite a lot to get things to change and people suddenly to start to follow a new team.

The problem with Laine is that he hasn't done anything yet that makes him really popular in Finland. He needs to win World Championships or Olympic medal or something like that or at least to dominate the goal scoring statistics in the NHL for a longer period of time. It's not enough that he is fighting for that no. 1 spot for a season and then scores less goals in the following seasons. Especially in this situation where there are so many other Finnish players who do well like Rantanen, Aho, Heiskanen, Teräväinen, Barkov etc. and the national team wins medals and championships based on the team, not individuals. In this situation one player doesn't have a monopoly situation when it comes to fame like it was when Kurri or Selänne played. Especially now when games aren't in Free-TV and they are played at night, the NHL teams don't get very much publicity here. People might know that Laine has scored goals but they don't know whether Winnipeg has done well or not.

For Laine it'd be the wisest choice to move to Florida because Barkov is one of his closest friends, Miami is a destination with flights from Finland, which means that families can have holidays together there when boys or dads want to watch NHL games and they also have a jersey with a nice logo that kids like. In addition to that he likes to play golf and enjoys driving sports cars like also Selänne does. So he would enjoy his life in a warmer climate. In Winnipeg he is just bored because there is nothing to do that he likes to do.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Are you familiar with Laine's complaints in Winnipeg?

Any clue why he wanted a trade in the first place?

I'll give you a hint, he doesn't like being on a second line.

If this trade happens there's a good chance the drama around here is just getting started.

Why would you say that? When he gets to play on our top line with our All Star C & LW he'll be happy evermore in Columbus. Add in Torts' style of personalizing his managerial style to accommodate different personalities and its a sure fire winner. :sarcasm:

While I have always longed for a player of Laine's goal scoring abilities I don't know about the fit here. Trading head cases is dangerous.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Are you familiar with Laine's complaints in Winnipeg?

Any clue why he wanted a trade in the first place?

I'll give you a hint, he doesn't like being on a second line.

If this trade happens there's a good chance the drama around here is just getting started.

Why?

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
I don't think so. NHL isn't so popular in Finland at the moment compared to for example those times when Selänne was popular but those who follow the game, have mostly already chosen a team to support. Then if we consider potential new fans who are growing up, there are kind of so many other interesting sports that are also popular and in hockey the national team and Liiga teams dominate. Therefore it's very difficult to make a team popular here unless it starts to win Stanley Cups and gets more coverage. Dallas and Carolina currently have that kind of potential because they have several Finnish players and have played quite well. I don't see how Columbus could be popular in Finland in a short term because most people don't even know that a city called Columbus exists. It's probably with Ottawa the most EVVK team right now. The most popular teams in Finland are those ones that have been around for a long time. They either had Finnish players and succeeded or had players like Gretzky or Lemieux that everyone in the hockey world followed. Even Red Wings with that Russian style of play attracted a lot of people to follow them because it was based on skill. It requires quite a lot to get things to change and people suddenly to start to follow a new team.

The problem with Laine is that he hasn't done anything yet that makes him really popular in Finland. He needs to win World Championships or Olympic medal or something like that or at least to dominate the goal scoring statistics in the NHL for a longer period of time. It's not enough that he is fighting for that no. 1 spot for a season and then scores less goals in the following seasons. Especially in this situation where there are so many other Finnish players who do well like Rantanen, Aho, Heiskanen, Teräväinen, Barkov etc. and the national team wins medals and championships based on the team, not individuals. In this situation one player doesn't have a monopoly situation when it comes to fame like it was when Kurri or Selänne played. Especially now when games aren't in Free-TV and they are played at night, the NHL teams don't get very much publicity here. People might know that Laine has scored goals but they don't know whether Winnipeg has done well or not.

For Laine it'd be the wisest choice to move to Florida because Barkov is one of his closest friends, Miami is a destination with flights from Finland, which means that families can have holidays together there when boys or dads want to watch NHL games and they also have a jersey with a nice logo that kids like. In addition to that he likes to play golf and enjoys driving sports cars like also Selänne does. So he would enjoy his life in a warmer climate. In Winnipeg he is just bored because there is nothing to do that he likes to do.

Well that was crap. I have been CBJ fan over a decade and at start nobody doesnt give a shit about Columbus. Now you can find CBJ fan stuff for somemarkets. Podcasts talks about CBJ, hockeypersons knows Jarmo. Ville Siren is big name in Finnish hockey culture. Nicklas Bäckström, Jarkko Ruutu is part of CBJ organization. Time when Selänne played his best season there wasnt much to watch NHL. Now you can watch every NHL game live for under 40euros/month. NHL has more Finnish talent than ever.

Laine havent done anything to be popular in Finland?

U18 WJC allstar
U18 WJC most goals
Finnish player of the year
Jari Kurri award in sm-liiga
Sm-liiga champion
Sm-liiga most goals by rookie
Sm-liiga most points by rookie
U20 WJC Gold medal
U20 WJC most goals
U20 WJC All star
WJC all star
WJC silver medal
WJC best forward
WJC MVP

Theres some of his "prices"

Have you ever watched hockey? Expect the 15minutes of sport from tv in saturday night?

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Why would you say that? When he gets to play on our top line with our All Star C & LW he'll be happy evermore in Columbus. Add in Torts' style of personalizing his managerial style to accommodate different personalities and its a sure fire winner. :sarcasm:

While I have always longed for a player of Laine's goal scoring abilities I don't know about the fit here. Trading head cases is dangerous.
Not to mention he’s on the last year of this contract at $6.75m, He’s still an RFA but I can’t think at all he’s going to sign a contract longer then will get him the UFA. And is JK really going to sign him for probably close to $8m since that’s probably around what he’ll be wanting since he’s already making almost $7m?

There is no way he’s a good fit with torts, and if torts is going to be gone at the end of the season, this whole blow up is stupid that we will lose PLD for a reason that’s going to be gone soon. The rest of the GMs out there know this is more about Torts then it is about PLD. Classic CBJ drama

Spude

Jan 23, 2021
Well that was crap. I have been CBJ fan over a decade and at start nobody doesnt give a shit about Columbus. Now you can find CBJ fan stuff for somemarkets. Podcasts talks about CBJ, hockeypersons knows Jarmo. Ville Siren is big name in Finnish hockey culture. Nicklas Bäckström, Jarkko Ruutu is part of CBJ organization. Time when Selänne played his best season there wasnt much to watch NHL. Now you can watch every NHL game live for under 40euros/month. NHL has more Finnish talent than ever.

Laine havent done anything to be popular in Finland?

U18 WJC allstar
U18 WJC most goals
Finnish player of the year
Jari Kurri award in sm-liiga
Sm-liiga champion
Sm-liiga most goals by rookie
Sm-liiga most points by rookie
U20 WJC Gold medal
U20 WJC most goals
U20 WJC All star
WJC all star
WJC silver medal
WJC best forward
WJC MVP

Theres some of his "prices"

Have you ever watched hockey? Expect the 15minutes of sport from tv in saturday night?
Well this is just nonsense. I bet list of top10 or even top20 most popular NHL teams in Finland won’t include CBJ. Of course every team has fans but at the moment CBJ is not so popular. But if this deal comes true CBJ will gain lot of new fans in Finland.
And sure, now you can watch NHL for 40euros/month but still the number of NHL viewers in Finland is decreasing year by year. But this applies to Liiga too.

I think Laine is a mixed bag, not just in Finland. Some people really love him, and others don’t like (or even hate) him. I personally think he has grown up and this deal might be on good for both Laine and CBJ.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Well this is just nonsense. I bet list of top10 or even top20 most popular NHL teams in Finland won’t include CBJ. Of course every team has fans but at the moment CBJ is not so popular. But if this deal comes true CBJ will gain lot of new fans in Finland.
And sure, now you can watch NHL for 40euros/month but still the number of NHL viewers in Finland is decreasing year by year. But this applies to Liiga too.

I think Laine is a mixed bag, not just in Finland. Some people really love him, and others don’t like (or even hate) him. I personally think he has grown up and this deal might be on good for both Laine and CBJ.

NHL is more popular in Finland than ever before! And that is a fact. I have a lot of friends who dont follow our own Liiga or KHL. They follow only NHL as do I. And ofcourse international hockey...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If we get Laine & Roslovic, I would try something like :

Foligno - Domi - Bjorky
Laine - Tex - Atkinson
Jenner - Grigorenko - Roslovic
Foudy - Nash / Koivu - Robinson

I think it is better to have 2 strong / skilled first lines, and it's well balanced overall
If we put Laine - Domi - Bjorky together there is not much skills left (except Tex, and Grigorenko at times)
Here you can still have Domi feeding Bjorkstrand, and Tex for Laine/Cam

Just saying, there are others options for sure !
Torts ... is that you ... Foligno on the top Line :help::help::help:..

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I just want the guy off the Jackets at this point. I do not think I could even root for the Jackets anymore if a man, I mean, boy, of such low moral character as PLD is skating on the ice wearing a CBJ sweater.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

Now give me facts where NHL viewers are decreasing in Finland? In USA there are but in Finland they dont. And where did i say CBJ is top10 team in Finland? Nowhere. Where did i say its top20? Nowhere. Orginal post where i commented says "with Ottawa, Columbus is most EVVK team"
You really think that if Columbus is "blah" team in Finland NHL tryed to get Columbus and Colorado start to season in Helsinki? There was 28other team so why Columbus? Oh! There is Finnish players and Finnish GM and Finnish stuff members. So should we put Columbus there cause its great marketing for Finnish people? No lets go with Arizona!

If i go budget sport i can find CBJ fanstuff, same intersport and topsport cant know if in every city but here it is.
So can you please tell me what was nonsense? And with facts not with skoda cup mentality.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Now give me facts where NHL viewers are decreasing in Finland? In USA there are but in Finland they dont. And where did i say CBJ is top10 team in Finland? Nowhere. Where did i say its top20? Nowhere. Orginal post where i commented says "with Ottawa, Columbus is most EVVK team"
You really think that if Columbus is "blah" team in Finland NHL tryed to get Columbus and Colorado start to season in Helsinki? There was 28other team so why Columbus? Oh! There is Finnish players and Finnish GM and Finnish stuff members. So should we put Columbus there cause its great marketing for Finnish people? No lets go with Arizona!

If i go budget sport i can find CBJ fanstuff, same intersport and topsport cant know if in every city but here it is.
So can you please tell me what was nonsense? And with facts not with skoda cup mentality.
Stick to the topic guys .. the Finland comment was made in jest because of Jarmo , and Laine being the connection ... we could care less if the cbj are the top team in Finland

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Rumour that ANA has offered Rakell or Lindholm with Comtois or Steel + 1st round pick. PLD is out before next game starts.

Reactions: The Bread Man

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Rumour that ANA has offered Rakell or Lindholm with Comtois or Steel + 1st round pick. PLD is out before next game starts.

I’ve seen this same offer on HF and I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now

Only if the 1st is unprotected do i grudgingly accept it

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't see the Jackets immediately "winning" this trade unless it involves another somewhat disgruntled player (Laine) and even then it will be awhile before it is known. Pretty sure there won't be a bona fide 1C coming back.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Anaheim is like Montreal in my mind... neither team has a realistic package deal that I’m interested in without the supposedly “off-limits” player

So if it’s not Zegras or Suzuki coming back... we riot! Simple as that. :D

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
This morning I’m back to not liking any of the rumored deals. Laine is an amazing winger but our center depth would look so gross. We need a center in any deal and I don’t think Roslovic counts. The Anaheim deal just sounds like a bunch of magic beans. Montreal I don’t want to deal with on general principle. Any chance another team jumps in????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad