When do you think Hall re-signs or goes UFA?

When do you think Hall re-signs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
the way i look at it is this:

we are destined to experience the full gamut. we've been here before. we have a very "new york market" existence.

if he pulls a parise, we're gonna land a good free agent to replace him straight up and go on a cup run while he misses the playoffs with whoever he signs with. it's different this time. we have a lot of quality in this organization now and won't fall apart if he leaves.

he would be walking away from a chance to be a marquee new jersey devil for eternity. that's his f***ing problem.

Reactions: Bet the Over

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
the way i look at it is this:

we are destined to experience the full gamut. we've been here before. we have a very "new york market" existence.

if he pulls a parise, we're gonna land a good free agent to replace him straight up and go on a cup run while he misses the playoffs with whoever he signs with. it's different this time. we have a lot of quality in this organization now and won't fall apart if he leaves.

he would be walking away from a chance to be a marquee new jersey devil for eternity. that's his ****ing problem.
Only way he's still a Devil on June 30th without a new contract is because he got hurt again before the trade deadline.

It will be a tough pill to swallow but Ray won't let him play here past the deadline without a deal on a extension in place. Regardless of positioning in the standings you can't lose a asset that valuable for nothing.

Look at what just happened to the CLB

Reactions: New Jersey

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Only way he's still a Devil on June 30th without a new contract is because he got hurt again before the trade deadline.

It will be a tough pill to swallow but Ray won't let him play here past the deadline without a deal on a extension in place. Regardless of positioning in the standings you can't lose a asset that valuable for nothing.

but that was a clown show with multiple players involved that will set them back hard…they went all in…...it's a bit strange looking on hockey reference and seeing that one measley playoff series victory stand out…

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

If Ray let’s him play in the regular season without an extension I just can’t imagine how if we are in a playoff spot (which I believe we will), he would trade Hall. The fan outcry would understandably be overwhelming.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If Ray let’s him play in the regular season without an extension I just can’t imagine how if we are in a playoff spot (which I believe we will), he would trade Hall. The fan outcry would understandably be overwhelming.

the “fan outcry” when shero did nothing last year was a bit overwhelming and look how that turned out. i doubt he lets the idiots in the peanut gallery dictate the management of this team.

unless we are favorites to win the cup at the deadline (lol) an unsigned hall should be traded. shero has to know that

Reactions: Taylor Hall

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Or what happened with Carlson in Washington last year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
the “fan outcry” when shero did nothing last year was a bit overwhelming and look how that turned out. i doubt he lets the idiots in the peanut gallery dictate the management of this team.

unless we are favorites to win the cup at the deadline (lol) an unsigned hall should be traded. shero has to know that
I think what is funny about that statement is the idea of favorites at the deadline.

Obviously you need to let the season play out, but from here I don't think the idea of us being a legit playoff team is that crazy. And if you are a legit playoff team you have a chance at making a run.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

there is absolutely NO WAY that the devils trade hall if the team is in the middle of a playoff race or even in a playoff spot. i would bet anyone any amount of money they want that they don't ship him off. it would go against everything that they have done this summer to try and win NOW not necessarily a cup but at least some type of playoff success. what possible return would they even get for a hall rental? a meh first round pick and maybe a meh prospect? that is really worth it to the team morale? the fans? lol so much for building a "winning culture" i constantly hear from people in here you can't teach these kids to constantly lose (edmonton) it will take root or something like that. so yeah they will just up and ship off the mvp from a year ago if they are in a playoff spot? lol please tell me you will bet me on that

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We’re not a finish product by any means and losing an asset like Hall for nothing is like throwing away assets for our unfinished rebuild.

With the way some are head over heals about losing 1st round picks in a proposed trade, one would think that adding just that would be a major plus despite losing our star player.

Reactions: MartyOwns

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
We’re not a finish product by any means and losing an asset like Hall for nothing is like throwing away assets for our unfinished rebuild.

With the way some are head over heals about losing 1st round picks in a proposed trade, one would think that adding just that would be a major plus despite losing our star player.

playoffs with hall > first round draft pick in the 20's

can't break it down any simpler then that. great lesson to the young kids on this team though if we do end up trading him and the team is in a playoff spot/race lol.

Reactions: glenwo2

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I think what is funny about that statement is the idea of favorites at the deadline.

Obviously you need to let the season play out, but from here I don't think the idea of us being a legit playoff team is that crazy. And if you are a legit playoff team you have a chance at making a run.

i’m saying the difference losing hall makes might be us losing in the first round rather than the second, or is losing in the second round rather than the third...at most. of course, if we are on a 120 point pace by the deadline, by all means keep him. but the likelihood of that is low, that’s what i meant by favorites. of course anything can happen, but the odds are we aren’t winning a cup this year (before anyone accuses me of being pessimistic: take it up with vegas) and letting hall walk for nothing would be piss poor asset management unless we get a cup out of it.

i already saw that movie, it was called ‘the fisting of the blue jackets’ and i want no part of it. granted, that was on a much bigger scale

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i’m saying the difference losing hall makes might be us losing in the first round rather than the second, or is losing in the second round rather than the third...at most. of course, if we are on a 120 point pace by the deadline, by all means keep him. but the likelihood of that is low, that’s what i meant by favorites. of course anything can happen, but the odds are we aren’t winning a cup this year (before anyone accuses me of being pessimistic: take it up with vegas) and letting hall walk for nothing would be piss poor asset management unless we get a cup out of it.

i already saw that movie, it was called ‘the fisting of the blue jackets’ and i want no part of it. granted, that was on a much bigger scale
Did you see the movie with John Carlson hoisting the cup?

I think the one with Parise is another example. Now that team didn't win the cup and then fell apart quickly there after. But that was also an old team with little in the talent pipeline, the current devils are a young team with a strong prospect pool.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Here's the argument's for keeping Hall at the deadline.

1)First and foremost, he could resign after the season. Yes there are examples of guys walking and the teams get nothing, but there are also examples of teams resigning that player in the offseason. Skinner is an obvious recent one, but Carlson and Stamkos are others.

2)Keeping Hall is analogous to making a deadline trade to improve the club. Let's say Hall resigned tomorrow and come February we look like a solid playoff team. Would you be willing to make a deadline trade for a rental to upgrade the defense? It is common practice to make such a trade. Even in hindsight Maroon was a good trade right? And that got us what? A playoff berth, but also a first round exit.

3)As an extension on the point above, a playoff birth is good for a young team. I thought it a valuable experience for Nico, for Sev's, for Wood. And it would be a good experience for the plethora of young guys likely on the roster this season. While the converse, trading a top player in the midst of the playoff hunt can be deflating. Especially when coming off an awful season like we just had. So you back last year up with trading away your best player which possibly leads to missing the playoffs again? I think that sends the wrong message.

4)If you make the playoffs you have a chance. Tampa was the clear favorite at the deadline last year. While St. Louis was fighting for a spot. We saw how that turned out. So to me, to say you only keep him if you are a clear favorite is a shaky premise. As "clear favorites" often prove to be paper tigers.

So add in some supporting premises to the points above and imo there is a solid argument for keeping Hall.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
playoffs with hall > first round draft pick in the 20's

can't break it down any simpler then that. great lesson to the young kids on this team though if we do end up trading him and the team is in a playoff spot/race lol.

Jake Muzzin got a 1st and a prospect and other "ok" players have returned similar packages. Taylor Hall, who’ll be on a joke of a contract around the deadline, will get a very solid package imo. I can see something like a 1st and a very solid prospect or possible even 2 first round picks. If Tavares would’ve moved when he was with the Islanders, it would’ve gave us an idea of the type of return to expect but a player of his caliber hasn’t been moved at the deadline in years.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Jake Muzzin got a 1st and a prospect and other "ok" players have returned similar packages. Taylor Hall, who’ll be on a joke of a contract around the deadline, will get a very solid package imo. I can see something like a 1st and a very solid prospect or possible even 2 first round picks. If Tavares would’ve moved when he was with the Islanders, it would’ve gave us an idea of the type of return to expect but a player of his caliber hasn’t been moved at the deadline in years.

Mark Stone was just moved to Vegas this deadline. Matt Duchene went to Columbus. Yes these guys are not quite in Hall's class but it's possible that Hall is no longer in Hall's class anymore.

The package you describe is not very solid. A 1st rounder around where teams who will trade for Hall pick is about 25% to become an average player or better. That's a pretty high percentage and is far from nothing, but whether or not the Devils trade Taylor Hall and he walks is unlikely to be franchise-altering. 5 years later there will probably on average be a 1-2 win difference between these two outcomes.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

and YET i'm called the negative one on this board lol. absolutely amazing (not just you martyowns) but the majority of the board. would be ok with trading hall while the team is in a playoff spot/chase? i just don't get it i really don't. you guys love first round picks sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much its absolutely amazing!

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

and YET i'm called the negative one on this board lol. absolutely amazing (not just you martyowns) but the majority of the board. would be ok with trading hall while the team is in a playoff spot/chase? i just don't get it i really don't. you guys love first round picks sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much its absolutely amazing!

Making the playoffs and getting our teeth caved in isn’t all that enticing other then for the owners I guess since they’d be making extra revenue.

If the return is a late 1st round pick, you keep him, no questions asked but you can actually get a significant package, it’s definitely something to think about.

Where we’ll be in the standings when the time will come to make that decision is what will facilitate this dilemma.

Trading Hall might have a negative effect but it might also do the opposite and spark guys like Gusev or Bratt to elevate their game by taking Hall’s spot on our top line.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why are we assuming we'd get our teeth caved in in the playoffs....? I bet you thought Columbus was gonna get their teeth caved in in round 1 too? How about St. Louis winning the Cup, I bet you saw that coming in January

get into the tournament and then you never know what can happen in a 7 game series

I dont see him getting traded at the deadline if we're in a safe playoff spot

Reactions: Hisch13r

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Making the playoffs and getting our teeth caved in isn’t all that enticing other then for the owners I guess since they’d be making extra revenue.

If the return is a late 1st round pick, you keep him, no questions asked but you can actually get a significant package, it’s definitely something to think about.

Where we’ll be in the standings when the time will come to make that decision is what will facilitate this dilemma.

Trading Hall might have a negative effect but it might also do the opposite and spark guys like Gusev or Bratt to elevate their game by taking Hall’s spot on our top line.

Will we? i mean everywhere i turn on the board people bash wingers and say they aren't worth this or that. is there going to be a team at the deadline willing to trade for hall and either 1 pay the price of him as a rental? or 2 like stone have a sign and trade in place that will increase the return? not sure about that either. like i said people constantly on here put down the winger position so a team will have to pay a heavy price and then give him 10/11/12? a year? don't think many teams will be beating down the door for that when they can just wait til july and get him for free?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Why are we assuming we'd get our teeth caved in in the playoffs....? I bet you thought Columbus was gonna get their teeth caved in in round 1 too? How about St. Louis winning the Cup, I bet you saw that coming in January

get into the tournament and then you never know what can happen in a 7 game series

I dont see him getting traded at the deadline if we're in a safe playoff spot

I agree with you and if we're firmly in a playoff spot I wouldn't even want him to be moved. It's not like just because he isn't signed by the deadline that means he is going to leave. I'd much rather take the risk and hold onto Hall if we're good rather than move him for a Stone like return

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Fan outcry was a horrible way to put it since I hate the outcry and the term itself but my whole point is I don’t see Shero trading Hall if we are in a playoff spot come trade deadline and I believe we will be. If Hall isn’t signed before the season starts this ends up being a really bad situation for us.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Fan outcry was a horrible way to put it since I hate the outcry and the term itself but my whole point is I don’t see Shero trading Hall if we are in a playoff spot come trade deadline and I believe we will be. If Hall isn’t signed before the season starts this ends up being a really bad situation for us.

hall won't resign before the season starts he would've done that by now if he wanted to. he won't resign during the season either because again why wait? maybe he wants to see where the team is heading? even if this team is in a playoff spot and makes the playoffs he will still go to july 1. guess what? thats fine! as long as this team plays hard makes the playoffs and can generate some noise even a 7 game round 1 loss. i am 1000000000000000% convinced hall stays july 1.

let me put it another way. the only way hall doesn't resign here is if this team bottoms out bigly and finishes like they did last year. then i believe he will walk and i believe the devils will shop him at the deadline

since everyone says this about my posts i get to finally say it about this. i can't really believe this is even being discussed the two scenarios i posted are how it will all shake out. make the playoffs hall stays. miss the playoffs he leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad