When Do you get your Best Workouts?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
For me it's a few hours after work. I normally come home, relax for a bit, eat, then workout. I can't do it in the early morning because I never feel like I have much energy in the morning. And I don't do it before work period because I feel like I don't have as much mental focus knowing I have to go to work after, it just kills the high for me.

I feel you on the morning part. I've tried everything to motivate myself to work out in the morning. It doesn't matter if I get 4 hours of sleep or 10, my mind is just not mentally ready to do a workout. When I did it, it never felt like it went as good as it does now.

That said, I'm completely the opposite about the mental focus at work. I LOVE working out at lunch because I feel sooo much more confident when I come back. My endorphins are going, and I still have that "pump" feeling. I actually request all my meets with vendors to be in the afternoon, because I feel so much more confident during the meetings.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I feel you on the morning part. I've tried everything to motivate myself to work out in the morning. It doesn't matter if I get 4 hours of sleep or 10, my mind is just not mentally ready to do a workout. When I did it, it never felt like it went as good as it does now.

That said, I'm completely the opposite about the mental focus at work. I LOVE working out at lunch because I feel sooo much more confident when I come back. My endorphins are going, and I still have that "pump" feeling. I actually request all my meets with vendors to be in the afternoon, because I feel so much more confident during the meetings.

Funny enough I've actually become a bit more of a morning person since I posted that. Working 5 am shifts has kind of forced me to adapt a bit. Now I work out around 10 or 11 am.

How do you have enough time to work out at lunch? Do you get a super long one? Personally I feel like I have to reserve 3 hour spaces for working out just because I hate feeling rushed and I'm going all for strength right now basically.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Funny enough I've actually become a bit more of a morning person since I posted that. Working 5 am shifts has kind of forced me to adapt a bit. Now I work out around 10 or 11 am.

How do you have enough time to work out at lunch? Do you get a super long one? Personally I feel like I have to reserve 3 hour spaces for working out just because I hate feeling rushed and I'm going all for strength right now basically.

No. That's most definitely the biggest negative to working out at lunch. I generally get like 7 exercises done. Basically my intervals between sets are shorter, and I don't "stand around" as much as I use to when I'd work out after work, for about an hour. Funny enough, it seems to have helped a bit, because I sweat a lot more because I'm going a lot faster. Not the rep speed, but the lack of down time between exercises seems to have increased my calorie burning.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
No. That's most definitely the biggest negative to working out at lunch. I generally get like 7 exercises done. Basically my intervals between sets are shorter, and I don't "stand around" as much as I use to when I'd work out after work, for about an hour. Funny enough, it seems to have helped a bit, because I sweat a lot more because I'm going a lot faster. Not the rep speed, but the lack of down time between exercises seems to have increased my calorie burning.

Yeah that would certainly be ideal for burning calories and building up endurance. Would drive me crazy personally though.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
I do my workouts between 6-8am. I find that's the best time for me to do my workouts and I feel so much better throughout the rest of the day. I also have the most energy to do my workouts at that time after a great night of sleep.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I do my workouts between 6-8am. I find that's the best time for me to do my workouts and I feel so much better throughout the rest of the day. I also have the most energy to do my workouts at that time after a great night of sleep.

I'm with you slush.

Try to get to the gym between 7-8 am

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Kinda curious if there's any kind of science backed information out there supporting when people are at peak energy. It would obviously vary by person, but could be interesting to see.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Right after work because I work in an office.

I love working out in the morning but I'm a night owl so it just wrecks my sleep pattern: I get home at 6, pass out and wake up at 2 am.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
After work, I have the energy from the days work plus the gym isn't so crowded after.
Keep in mind, I have a gym in my building..small but super efficient.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Nothing has changed - except my wake up time - but 2-3 hours after I get up is still the sweet spot.

I think that would make for an incredibly interesting study Larking - even if I'm a bit late to the party:D

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
7am on a 9am work day for me is perfect. And I like how it makes me more crunched for putting my back against the wall to fit every workout in w/o taking longer than needed breathers. And following it up with a quick schvitz and ice cold shower makes me ready and energetic for the work day ahead.

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Gotta be first thing in the morning for me, however I have a tendency to overtrain. Really need to start forcing myself to cut back on the sets and reps.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
On a student's schedule, it's usually on the weekdays between 7-9:30 for ~2 hours.

Weekends, same timeslot or afternoon (2-4:30) if I have plans etc

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I'm fine working out anytime of the day before 6pm. My body doesn't seem to have a preference, but I do like following a pretty strict schedule with whatever time(s) I choose. Trying to start a workout after 6 though just doesn't seem to work well.

GreggT

Jun 26, 2020
Peak hours. And yes, its a f***ing battle royale, but only the strong survive.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Over the years, it's most often been when I felt the worst (tired) going in. Kicks the focus into extra high gear, I guess.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->