When do we stop overdoing it with reminiscing the golden days?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I’ve secretly always had a soft spot for the OBC despite their obvious lack of ability to get the job done. Something about glory year Oiler legends leading this team into a new age has a certain romance to it. But then I just watched this clip from MoneyBall:

In that clip they talk about there’s Rich teams, poor teams, and worse. And the Oakland A’s are worse, an unfair league, where they can’t get or keep good players. I feel the same way about these Oilers and this City. Yes , there’s a cap, but our free agency attractiveness will always be ZERO. Our players will always have the least amount of rest, relaxation, and fun away from the rink. And the highest chance of getting the flu along with **** travel and **** weather. Something in the water indeed.

So we gotta stop doing it the way we’ve been trying to for the last 15 years. Keith Gretzky or any old time GM (like Chia was) is not going to solve ****.

I want fresh new blood in the GMs office with fresh ideas. Even Arizona’s analytics based GM and even Dubas who is an analytics guy. I want an entirely new view of how to view player acquisition. Someone who will think outside the box to give our disadvantaged city a chance at having a money ball type advantage that no other teams have seen yet. To have this chance, we need someone new with radical ideas and the balls to try them.

The vibe in that room (minus Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill) is eerily similar to that Bruins video of them discussing the Seguin trade.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I’ve secretly always had a soft spot for the OBC despite their obvious lack of ability to get the job done. Something about glory year Oiler legends leading this team into a new age has a certain romance to it. But then I just watched this clip from MoneyBall:

In that clip they talk about there’s Rich teams, poor teams, and worse. And the Oakland A’s are worse, an unfair league, where they can’t get or keep good players. I feel the same way about these Oilers and this City. Yes , there’s a cap, but our free agency attractiveness will always be ZERO. Our players will always have the least amount of rest, relaxation, and fun away from the rink. And the highest chance of getting the flu along with **** travel and **** weather. Something in the water indeed.

So we gotta stop doing it the way we’ve been trying to for the last 15 years. Keith Gretzky or any old time GM (like Chia was) is not going to solve ****.

I want fresh new blood in the GMs office with fresh ideas. Even Arizona’s analytics based GM and even Dubas who is an analytics guy. I want an entirely new view of how to view player acquisition. Someone who will think outside the box to give our disadvantaged city a chance at having a money ball type advantage that no other teams have seen yet. To have this chance, we need someone new with radical ideas and the balls to try them.

Not sure I agree with all you say, but can get aboard most.

It hasnt been working for a long long time. Stop trying the same approach over and over again.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
It’s great to have a strong and active alumni club but it’s a whole other thing to hire a bunch of the guys in made up head office roles.

What does Kevin Lowe do? He’s apparenty not involved in hockey operations so what’s left that he could offer any competence in?

I bleed copper and blue and have been there since the beginning. I partied with all the different clubs over the years and have a lot of fond memories but these unending tributes are becoming more and more a self congratulatory circle jerk with the Old Boys stroking each other off. It’s time for the new guys to take the baton and build something worth stroking off to.

Egg zac a tact ly

I cant think of any reason anyone wouldn't want a strong alumni around to promote and celebrate, espescially one as distinguished as ours.
But that's not what's happening here. You are very right in saying the difference is that these people are not in the customary PR roles, but are in fact in decision making positions that they are incompetent at.

As a fellow member of the most fortunate fans ever, having experienced the greatest players ever play the game as they unwind and - yes - party, I find it continually depressing what is going on today.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
unfortunately, as sad as it seems it might be time for the obc to go. not sure if katz will let them go though. i hope katz doesn't listen to "Jack"....

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I know I'm in the minority, but I thought the orange crush was a good dinsquishing and distancing move.
How? The jersey was never the problem and it certainly wasn’t changed to distance the team from its past. It was changed to generate revenue and that’s been happening pretty much every other season in the last several years. We all know what the team needs to distance itself from.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
How? The jersey was never the problem and it certainly wasn’t changed to distance the team from its past. It was changed to generate revenue and that’s been happening pretty much every other season in the last several years. We all know what the team needs to distance itself from.

Oh yeah - absolutely agree about revenue generating. And of course that is priority and reason #1.

But it was also introduced as the new era. The new regime. The new building. The new saviour in McD.
But to your point, yeah money above everything.

Reactions: rboomercat90

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
unfortunately, as sad as it seems it might be time for the obc to go. not sure if katz will let them go though. i hope katz doesn't listen to "Jack"....

Man...thats some scary s***. :nod:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Hmmm, need a voice analyzing expert. I swear that is Bob Nicholson with a cold trying to do a fake voice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad