When do we call up Timmy?

Timmy up

• Total voters

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Not going to happen. He has played barely half the AHL games over the past two years. While point production is not everything his is very low - even compared to fellow draft picks that had much lower offensive up side. He has never had a tear like Sandin is on right now, and like Dermott had just before he was called up. There is no evidence to suggest that he has put things together enough that a coach like Babcock would consider him for a game this year. I would be surprised if he plays more than one NHL game next year.

Here is the AHL PPG this season among D drafted in 2017:
Valimaki (16OA): 0.765
Jikiharju (29OA): 0.765
Brannstrom (15OA): 0.667
Vaakanainen (18OA): 0.500
Hague (34OA): 0.403
Fleury (87OA): 0.396
Foote (14OA): 0.381
Liljegren (17OA): 0.353

For comparison Sandin is at 0.639 right now and Kylington (who Liljegren was compared to a bit by his detractors around draft time) was 0.450 during his D+2 and is finally getting some low minute 3rd pairing deployment with the Flames in the second half of his D+4.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Jesus guys. So you're ok with having the current group of 3 that cant take a job? I'm not saying call him up keep him up. I'm saying give him a look, while Rosen heals, because it's a guarantee he gets called up when hes better.

You know what. Maybe for a few games. We’re not getting home ice advantage against Bruins. So maybe a few game look. Just not too long as I wouldn’t want to see them thrown to the wolves and hurt their confidence. I may have misread your post. Maybe they do well. I guess I’m open to it on a game by game basis.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Not going to happen. He has played barely half the AHL games over the past two years. While point production is not everything his is very low - even compared to fellow draft picks that had much lower offensive up side. He has never had a tear like Sandin is on right now, and like Dermott had just before he was called up. There is no evidence to suggest that he has put things together enough that a coach like Babcock would consider him for a game this year. I would be surprised if he plays more than one NHL game next year.

Here is the AHL PPG this season among D drafted in 2017:
Valimaki (16OA): 0.765
Jikiharju (29OA): 0.765
Brannstrom (15OA): 0.667
Vaakanainen (18OA): 0.500
Hague (34OA): 0.403
Fleury (87OA): 0.396
Foote (14OA): 0.381
Liljegren (17OA): 0.353

For comparison Sandin is at 0.639 right now and Kylington (who Liljegren was compared to a bit by his detractors around draft time) was 0.450 during his D+2 and is finally getting some low minute 3rd pairing deployment with the Flames in the second half of his D+4.

I keep seeing this; yet what was Liljegren's ppg in the AHL in his rookie year?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Jesus guys. So you're ok with having the current group of 3 that cant take a job? I'm not saying call him up keep him up. I'm saying give him a look, while Rosen heals, because it's a guarantee he gets called up when hes better.

Why do you put up a poll if you're not really interested in finding out what people think?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I keep seeing this; yet what was Liljegren's ppg in the AHL in his rookie year?

It was 0.386 which was pretty decent for an 18 year old - especially one who was concentrating on defensive and physical play. But, as Liljegren himself said after they won the Calder, his production was not where it should have been and he felt he needed to be far more productive this year. It has actually gone down. And Liljegren has played a lot of PP time - both last year and this year - with minimal point production during that time. Sandin didn't get much PP time at all until recently (essentially when Rosen was injured) and yet during those few games he must have close to as many PP points as Liljegren has had in two seasons.

I love Liljegren, and watched him a lot last year in the AHL. I felt he did very well - exceeding my expectations defensively and physically. Offensively, it seemed like he was always on the verge of making things happen, but it never seemed to result in points. He scored only one goal his first year, but in one game alone that I watched him that year he hit the post 3 times. I have only watched him play once this year in the AHL, and again I thought he played really well. Even without point production he is brilliant at controlled exits and entries, with his stretch passes being far and away beyond anyone on the Marlies (and Wheeler has said only Gardiner is better at that in the whole organization. One of his stretch passes in first pre-season game for the Leafs in 2017 was astounding - with the only problem being that it was to Matt Martin). But, after like 80 games the level of point production can't simply be bad puck luck. His shots and OZ passes have to be far too easy for opposing skaters and goalies to read. I said last summer that if his production did not go up, and go up quite a bit, that I would have to change my assessment of him. I don't like doing that because I love watching him play, but something doesn't seem to be clicking.

As a comparison:
Dermott was 0.683 in the AHL the year he got called up.
Rosen is producing at 0.846 this year (and would be called up right now if he wasn't injured).
Holl was 0.467 last year.
Borgman is only 0.385 this year, but I doubt he gets much PP time.
Even Marincin produced at 0.400 in the AHL over the last 2 years and he was used in a pretty defensive role.
Nielsen was 0.527 during his D+2 year in the AHL.
Carrick was 0.55 - 0.6o in the AHL.
Corrado was 0.67 in the AHL during the year he was given a shot with the big club (and then traded to the Pens).

Again, point production is not everything. But really he should spend the whole year in the AHL next year - hopefully healthy - and hopefully actually controlling the games like others have done. And I remain hopeful that it will happen. Rosen, for instance, was 0.355 PPG last year for the Marlies (and looked like a train wreck defensively for much of the season, whereas Liljegren doesn't) before having a great playoffs (0.688 PPG) and stepped it up further this year (0.846). Dermott's production wasn't high during his first year, and wasn't any better the start of his second year until he went on that incredible tear that resulted in him being called up.

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I was never a Carrick lover, but when they chose Holl and Marincin over him, I knew it was mistake. Carrick was a legit 7, could come in with an injury. These two, neither is NHL calibre...now we're reduced to arguing we need to bring in a kid who isn't ripe enough.
I'm not sure it was about choosing them over Carrick, and more so allowing him to leave so he could have a chance at playing, similar to Leivo. There's no sense in keeping him in the press box and hurting his development when he still has a good chance at making an NHL roster. Justin Holl and Martin Marincin are both 27 year old players, you kind of know what you got with them so they could theoretically afford to stay in the press box. I'm not a huge fan of Holl being scratched so much, but it is what it is. I doubt either guy sticks around for next season

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
With Dermott and Gards out, we should try Rosen/Oz as a bottom pair, they’d compliment each other well IMO, and Rosen is way ahead of Liljegren at the moment.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
With Dermott and Gards out, we should try Rosen/Oz as a bottom pair, they’d compliment each other well IMO, and Rosen is way ahead of Liljegren at the moment.

Rosen is still injured at the moment. Rumour has it he is about a week away but after being out for 4 or 5 weeks I would suspect that they would want him to play a game or two for the Marlies before being called up.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dubas does seem like the type of guy who likes making players feel rewarded and valued. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Sandin or Liljegren called up to reward them and give them a taste of the big leagues, maybe get some practices in. Sort of like with Moore back earlier in the year on the California trip, even though he didn't play. I think Sandin is more likely though

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Rosen is still injured at the moment. Rumour has it he is about a week away but after being out for 4 or 5 weeks I would suspect that they would want him to play a game or two for the Marlies before being called up.
Ah touche, thought he was back.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We don't

Keeping them expansion exempt should be a top priority

We could call him up unit Dermott and Rosen are back and he’d still be expansion exempt. Give him a look, give us another d-man that move a damn puck.

Not saying it should/could/would happen, but expansion isn’t a factor here.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
We could call him up unit Dermott and Rosen are back and he’d still be expansion exempt. Give him a look, give us another d-man that move a damn puck.

Liljegren's exempt I believe since he's a u20 player in the AHL, and his elc doesn't start until next season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

We're making the playoffs, the teams a raging tyre fire right now and you want to bring up a developing defenseman, that just missed significant time with injury and throw him into the fire

For what exactly? So we can still finish 3rd in our division still? You want to risk his development for that?

That's a ******* terrible idea

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Shortsighted folks who think calling up undeveloped kids is going to somehow save the defense are in for a surprise. They're not ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad