OT: When Do The Pens Visit The White House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
People all over the world care about who the US President is, specifically this one.

This has zero to do with politics though.

When Obama gave Stephen Hawking the Presidential medal of freedom on 2009 were either of them making a political statement? Did it win or lose the president a single vote?

Some things just are feel good celebrations of human achievement and to tarnish them with politics is on so many levels just wrong.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This has zero to do with politics though.

When Obama gave Stephen Hawking the Presidential medal of freedom on 2009 were either of them making a political statement? Did it win or lose the president a single vote?

Some things just are feel good celebrations of human achievement and to tarnish them with politics is on so many levels just wrong.

See, I'd argue that your example is, in fact, a political statement, in that it's saying that these are contributions deserving of our highest civilian award. Most people might see it as apolitical or at least non-partisan because Stephen Hawking is awesome, but it still makes a statement about our nation's values, goals, and priorities, in a symbolic way. All of which is politics.

My definition of "political" is admittedly more expansive than most people's, though.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't accept an invitation to meet this president. Nothing to do with politics and everything to do with decency and personal morals; he's a revolting waste of blood and organs, and it would make me physically ill to be in his general vicinity. I have no respect for him as a human being, long before I even get close to judging him on any kind of political basis.

Morehouse said they'd go if invited, but also said that no such invite has been extended. Hopefully, it never is.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't accept an invitation to meet this president. Nothing to do with politics and everything to do with decency and personal morals; he's a revolting waste of blood and organs, and it would make me physically ill to be in his general vicinity. I have no respect for him as a human being, long before I even get close to judging him on any kind of political basis.

Morehouse said they'd go if invited, but also said that no such invite has been extended. Hopefully, it never is.

Geez. I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I just don't know how some people have become so unhinged they have to express their angst in all forums, even hockey ones. Should lock this up and throw away the key.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I genuinely don't give a ****.

giphy.gif

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Yes they should go. Is the divisiveness and hysteria so extreme that this totally apolitical tradition need be suspended? I don't like the pres, didn't support him or his opponent, but the line of our partisanship needs to be drawn somewhere.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I don't care either way. I never cared that Tim Thomas didn't go, either. It's his choice what he does in his free time. Then again, I hate politicians in general and probably wouldn't go myself even if the President is a great guy just because I really don't care about Presidents or Prime Ministers, just another person I don't know or care to.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
to go to this white house is an open endorsement of white supremacy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad