When did you first become fans of wrestlers who turned heel?

GoHabsGo57

Feb 8, 2008
Cornwall, Ontario
It's a bit blurred to me because I was an nWo mark as a kid, and they were meant to be the "bad" guys, but at the same time they were mega popular and the "cool" guys as well. So it's kind of weird labelling them as heels to me because although they were bad, half the audience loved them.
I agree, but in their WWE return, they tried so hard to make Hogan a mega heel even though the fans loved him. Remember the attempted murder of The Rock? Lol

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
It's a combination of things for me. I've never liked heels and always root for the face, but the big exception is if they're really good in the ring. Bret, like many in here, is my all-time favourite, but I was also a huge fan of Mr. Perfect because of his in-ring skill. If a wrestler oozes wrestling talent, I'll be a fan regardless.

If someone has more of a brawling style and is much less technical (Hogan, Warrior, Andre), then I've always preferred the face to win, though over the past decade I've become very appreciative of the tweeners because of their general badassery and entertainment factor.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I was always a fan of funny wrestlers that gave good promos. Rowdy Roddy Piper probably would be the first one that I really got behind(when he was a heel in the WWF)

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Superstar Billy Graham - NWA, AWA and WWWF in the seventies.

Man looked like he was carrying footballs on the front of his upper arms....

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's a bit blurred to me because I was an nWo mark as a kid, and they were meant to be the "bad" guys, but at the same time they were mega popular and the "cool" guys as well. So it's kind of weird labelling them as heels to me because although they were bad, half the audience loved them.
It's also weird because I remember seeing some documentaries that said how Hogan's character of always being good was getting booed by the WCW fans and it's why Eric Bischoff talked him into turning heel and starting the NWO. So in a effect what turned him into a heel made the fans like him again.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's also weird because I remember seeing some documentaries that said how Hogan's character of always being good was getting booed by the WCW fans and it's why Eric Bischoff talked him into turning heel and starting the NWO. So in a effect what turned him into a heel made the fans like him again.

yup, its a really good example of good heat and bad heat.

leading up to the flip, Hogan had bad heat...as in "go away we arent buying this crap" heat

and after the flip, he had good heat...as in "i hate you and want to see you lose" heat

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Roman Reigns is getting the reverse Hogan treatment from the fans lol

Like him or not, Hogan was Mount Rushmore level

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Hogan joining the nWo or DX (hated them at first because I was a huge Bret mark but then they grew on me cause they were hilarious).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think it was when I got back into wrestling in the 90s during the Monday night wars. Jericho and Raven were the two guys who did it for me. Although I thought the NWO was pretty lame, or at least how far they took it. I just never liked heels as a kid. I think what bothered me were the wins that weren't clean. In hindsight I appreciate a lot of heels who when I was younger I never liked.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hulk Hogan turned me off of faces, around the buildup for WM 8. I knew that he screwed Sid Justice out of the WWF title, and hoped Sid would get his revenge and destroy Hogan. But in one sense, I was still cheering for the one who I thought was right, so it might not count. Sometime around 91 or 92 I started to cheer the guys I liked, whether they were "good" or "bad". That included Vader and Cactus Jack in WCW, and mostly faces in WWF still, but I did like Bam Bam Bigelow and for some reason, Ludvig Borga. Probably just because he was from Finland, and I always cheer for the Finns when Canada is out in hockey - unless the Finns beat us. By the time the Attitude Era rolled around, I cheered for just as many heels as faces.

I do remember always cheering for Demolition though, until their last feud with the Hart Foundation. I'm from Alberta, Canada, so anyone who had beef with the Harts I loathed.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think it was when I got back into wrestling in the 90s during the Monday night wars. Jericho and Raven were the two guys who did it for me. Although I thought the NWO was pretty lame, or at least how far they took it. I just never liked heels as a kid. I think what bothered me were the wins that weren't clean. In hindsight I appreciate a lot of heels who when I was younger I never liked.

good call with Jericho, especially his feud with Dean Malenko

ARMBAR!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad