when did the song "na na hey hey" was sung in the NHL playoffs?

puckhead103*

does anyone when this song was sung during the NHL playoffs?

its been part of sports history where the losing team faces elimination, the winning team's fans begin singing "na na hey goodbye" song.

i looked at wikipedia which stated the song was started in the mid 1980s when hab fans began to sing it....

i think it started when the bruins won their cup in 1970..

does anyone know?

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
does anyone when this song was sung during the NHL playoffs?

its been part of sports history where the losing team faces elimination, the winning team's fans begin singing "na na hey goodbye" song.

i looked at wikipedia which stated the song was started in the mid 1980s when hab fans began to sing it....

i think it started when the bruins won their cup in 1970..

does anyone know?

The first time I can recall is during a Habs/Nords series in 1982.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Chicago White Sox fans in the 70s started it when opposing pitchers were knocked out. You heard it a little bit after that but it was picked up for hockey by Habs fans in the 80s and spread here and there before mostly dying out. If Bruins fans did it, it was probably in Montreal games in one of their many playoff wars.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
the first I heard it was Canucks playoff run in 1982

http://www.canuckscentral.com/h82playoffs.html

In the second round, the Canucks would take advantage of a huge upset, drawing the Los Angeles Kings as opponents instead of Edmonton. The teams would split the games in Vancouver, both games by 3-2 scores. The Canucks won the first, thanks to two power-play goals by Ivan Hlinka and C Gary Lupul's third period tiebreaker, and then the Kings won the second on Steve Bozek's goal in overtime. Game Three at the Forum would be eventful in that D Colin Campbell, who had gone goalless in 54 regular-season games, tallied to open the scoring and then scored again in overtime to give the Canucks a 4-3 win. The real hero was Brodeur, though, who stopped 41 shots in victory and stopped 33 two nights later in a 5-4 win. The Canucks now lead the series 3-1 and had the opportunity to claim the series at home on April 21. Late in Game Five, with the Canucks leading 4-2 and Los Angeles calling a time-out, organist David Foster began piping out the chorus to Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Good-Bye, a long-forgotten single by the Swedish group Steam. The crowd of 16,413 began "Na"ing, "Hey"ing and "Good-Bye"ing along with him, and a new Vancouver playoff tradition was born. The singing changed to deafening cheers as the time ran off the clock on a 5-2 victory. The Canucks had advanced to the Campbell Conference Finals.

I suspect that it might have been the first appearance in hockey.

Last edited:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
David Foster was doing the music for Canucks games? For real? As in THE David Foster?

that kinda stuck out at me too but that name sounds pretty common. However, The David Foster is originally from Vancouver but there's no record of him ever being an organist for the Canucks that I can find from my 5 minutes of searching.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
It was done by the Bruins vs. The Habs in the late seventies...I was there - but I don't know when they started doing it.

The song was a pretty big hit in its own right.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
It was done by the Bruins vs. The Habs in the late seventies...I was there - but I don't know when they started doing it.

The song was a pretty big hit in its own right.

would you know if it was after the white sox in 1977?

I can't find any blog or record of that instance anywhere.

it was reported that the Habs sang it in the mid 80s and that's the only reference I've seen of it.

Last edited:

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
I can't tell you when the song was first sung but I can tell you the earliest the song was sung at a game. Game 6 of the 2001 Eastern quaterfinals, Buffalo vs. Philly at the HSBC Arena. It started about 1/2 way through the second period with the Sabres leading 6-0.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I read an article by a Bruins fan once (I think Denis Leary) that talked about how that song traumatized them because over the years when Montreal would beat the Bruins time and time again, their fans would hammer it home with this song. I would assume that means it was in use at least during the 70s.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
David Foster began piping out the chorus to Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Good-Bye, a long-forgotten single by the Swedish group Steam. The crowd of 16,413 began "Na"ing, "Hey"ing and "Good-Bye"ing along with him, and a new Vancouver playoff tradition was born

wait, Steam was Swedish?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I read an article by a Bruins fan once (I think Denis Leary) that talked about how that song traumatized them because over the years when Montreal would beat the Bruins time and time again, their fans would hammer it home with this song. I would assume that means it was in use at least during the 70s.

I would have assumed 80s since they were very good at that time. It could have been any time though.

Gmageau

Jun 2, 2011
North Van BC
When did the song "Na na hey hey" get played in the NHL

I was the organist for the Vancouver Canucks from 1978 thru 1986. My name is Glenn Mageau and various articles within the Vancouver news media will verify my exisitence. I was hired each year by Norm Jewison (who has since retired from the Canucks organization) and was given basically carte blanche musical freedom.

During the infamous playoffs of 1982, Richard Loney came up to the organ booth (the same Richard Loney who sings the US anthem today) and asked me if I knew the Na na hey hey song. I turned off the Coliseum speakers and figured out the chord progression and the rest is history. The fans REALLY caught on to it.

I was told that during that season (1981-1982) the tune was played by the orgainst in Quebec. I'm not sure about the fan reaction there.

There is a trivia web site where the name of the organist is David Foster, well that is not correct. When I left the Canucks in 1986 I introduced a young fellow by the name of Mike Foster to the Canucks who played organ for them for a few years. David Foster is a musical genius and song writer and wouldn't be caught dead being musically associated with a sports team as their official cheerleader.

I was fortunate in the capacity of team cheerleader and NHL organist, I got to meet a great many "stars" of the national hockey league. The Canucks treated me exceptionally well over the 8 years I was with them.

Through the Canucks connections, I was asked to play the opening game at the Calgary Saddledom when it opened. Calgary played Edmonton and after the game I got to meet Wayne Gretzsky and Dave Simenco. Again Norm Jewison of the Canucks arranged this with Al Coates of the Flames.

In 1994 the Canucks VP of Marketing, Glen Ringdal asked me to come back to the Coliseum for the second time that the Canucks played for the Stanley Cup final. It wasn't nearly as much fun as 1982 but quite a thrill to be asked back.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I had season tickets for the Minnesota North Stars and the first time that I heard it sung was about 1970-71. There was a group of college students sitting in one section and they started singing it when the Stars had taken a three goal lead on the visiting team in the 3rd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad