When did the Canucks switch from Goalie Graveyard to Goalie Factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
One of the few things we can agree on.

Aside from a three-year period from 1998-2001 where Burke made a total mess of the team's goaltending situation, we've had 4 starting goalies in the last 32 years - Brodeur from 1980-88, McLean from 1988-1998, Cloutier from 2001-2006, and Luongo from 2006-present.

There hasn't been a franchise in the NHL that has been more stable and forgiving in terms of starting goalies than this one. The notion that this city was ever a 'goalie graveyard' is utterly ridiculous.

I wouldn't call the Cloutier era a solid era but rather there was no choice 'cause Burke couldn't find anything better. The team was great during his time as a starter but he was the downfall. Also Auld was the #1 05-06 while Cloutier was out. I would say it was great up until the end of captain kirk/Burke (sean) era then when Burke took over, it was a grave yard until he left.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't call the Cloutier era a solid era but rather there was no choice 'cause Burke couldn't find anything better. The team was great during his time as a starter but he was the downfall. Also Auld was the #1 05-06 while Cloutier was out. I would say it was great up until the end of captain kirk/Burke (sean) era then when Burke took over, it was a grave yard until he left.

Of course the Cloutier era was crap, but the simple fact that it lasted so long - 5 years - is a testament to the fact that this simply isn't a 'goalie graveyard'.

McLean, Brodeur, and Cloutier all kept their jobs for years after their play had tailed off (or in Cloutier's case just never was good) ... the notion of a 'goalie graveyard' is that decent goalies come here and lose their form or get run out of town quickly, not get handed the starting job for nearly a decade despite long stretches of mediocre play.

Cloutier was the #1 in 2005-06 - the fact that Auld started most of the games because of Cloutier's torn ACL doesn't change that.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Gillis makes a point to draft a goalie every. single. draft. I know this frustrating when we're hoping for the next big forward or d-man, but I think we can agree this is a good practice.

Heavily scouting undrafted UFAs like Eddie Lack helps a lot, too (also got us Tanev).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Haha, I never really noticed before that the 'goaltender graveyard' was something that Burke spouted a lot in the media, the same way he attempts with bluster to deflect criticism in Toronto by always saying how tough it is to play in TO.

Anyways, I would call us a goalie factory yet. A few posters are mocking Toronto but really at this point Lack and Canatta aren't necessarily better than Scrivans and Rynnas, those guys are good AHL'ers too. There are plenty of goalie prospects that are doing great in the lower leagues, they probably wouldn't be goalie prospects otherwise. It's a big leap forward from there to be a legit NHL tender.

It's just coincidence that we traded for an elite goalie and draft a blue chip goalie in the first round at close to the same time. If we simultaneously lost Luongo and Schneider today we'd be in trouble. We need to wait a couple years to see how some of the kids turn out before we go calling ourselves a goalie factory.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I have...a question.

Despite how great a goalie Schneider is, how much longer will he be with us?

I'm not really familiar with contracts and trades and such but basically everyone said we'll not be able to pay him and he will want to be a started goalie somewhere else earning more money and ice time.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
When they stopped acquiring crappy goalies and needing something other than them being crappy to blame for them being crappy.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I mean if we're talking about the Burke era of rent-a-goalies, then the obvious end to that was Luongo.

There's something to be said about having a steady presence in net that players can feed off of. Every goalie that backed Lu up raved about his work ethic and what they learned from him. This includes Schneids and Lack...

It also gave us the luxury of letting Schneider develop at a good pace. And even with Schneids gone, it allowed us to stockpile and ease guys below him on the depth chart into the pros.

It remains to be seen what the Tre Goalie system + Cannata will bring in the future. So far it's looking okay, but we all know how fickle goaltending can be from year to year.

Amazing what steady goaltending can do to reset the franchise. Lets hope that continues.

Edit: Well **** I didn't realize this thread was 2 years old.
Whatever. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad