When did Malkin establish himself as the 3rd best player of his generation?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Because Malkin isn't on the list.

There is no context after that. If Malkin was better then Toews, he would be on the list.

Sidney had two Cups and is on the list. No complaints there.

this post is like a teacher grading a test and reviewing the first question and then saying well he got that one right, he prob got the rest of them right.

Reactions: Tweed

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Because Malkin isn't on the list.

There is no context after that. If Malkin was better then Toews, he would be on the list.

Sidney had two Cups and is on the list. No complaints there.

Even yourself don’t know why Malkin wasn’t on that list :laugh:. You’re trying to figure out how he didn’t get there even with the individual accolades he won. You’re just trying to convince yourself that he isn’t that good because this list is the only thing that puts your favorite players above him, so you have to use it as your prime metric (which is a terrible one).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the easiest of easy answers. He was heading to generational talent and then exploded in 2009 and there were no more questions. Solidified his position and he hasn't done anything to lose it.

Reactions: TNT87

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's actually a slap in the face trying to compare top 100 all time players, or better yet, claiming somebody deserves such prestige when the NHL itself gave them a thumbs down, if they even debated him at all.

I don't even think Malkin was a thought when the list was compiled, but that's my opinion.

I honestly would have put Hossa ahead of Malkin, but that's me.
Yeah, why don't we just throw in Seabrook being better than Malkin. He played on the Blackhawks too right?

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I think the op misunderstands people. There was times where guys like Toews were ranked higher in terms of who is better at that time but over the generation Malkin was almost always top 3. If not for so much missed time he would have had an even better career. It's one thing that's so impressive about Ovechkin. He plays physical but never gets hurt.

Know what's impressive about Malkin? He has finished every season above PPG except 1 where he had 37 points in 43 games before tearing his ACL and MCL

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He's 2nd in PPG among active players (with 500+ points), sandwiched between Crosby and Ovechkin. He's been one of the 3 best forwards in the league since he came into the league. I don't know how this is even a question.

Reactions: Casanova

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
2009 Playoffs I realized how great Malkin actually was, he went full beast mode.

This generations top 15 players IMO.

1. Crosby
2. Ovechkin
3. Malkin
4. P. Kane
5. Doughty
6. Keith
7. Towes
8. Thorton
9. Getzlaf
10. Stamkos
11. Karlsson
12. Sedins
13. Zetterberg
14. Chara
15. Price

HM: Lundqvist, Kopitar, Luongo, Quick, Backstrom, Bergeron

(Datsyuk, Pronger, Iginla, Lidstrom etc, part of previous gen)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad