When did Malkin establish himself as the 3rd best player of his generation?

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Did you know that there are only 3 players that have never been under PPG in their career? Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin.

Malkin cemented himself among the big 3 his second season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Did you know that there are only 3 players that have never been under PPG in their career? Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin.

Malkin cemented himself among the big 3 his second season.

You mean their career PPG has never dipped below PPG? Because Malkin was under in '11, and Ovechkin has been three times

Reactions: Mean Gene

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This is a perfect example of why whenever I read anything you post, I know that if I believe the opposite of what you've said, there's a real good chance I'm not wrong.
Save this uselessness.

Toews is a top 100 player of all time. Toews accomplishments are all the same as Malkins, they both had good teams around them. Toews just did three cups in six years before the Pens suddenly became relevant and won cups again after what, a decade or close between cups?

I don't see Malkin listed as a top 100 player of all time. (Cue the conspiracy theories and the voters have no clue drivel....)

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Save this uselessness.

Toews is a top 100 player of all time. Toews accomplishments are all the same as Malkins, they both had good teams around them. Toews just did three cups in six years before the Pens suddenly became relevant and won cups again after what, a decade or close between cups?

I don't see Malkin listed as a top 100 player of all time. (Cue the conspiracy theories and the voters have no clue drivel....)
Enjoy your lonely existence on that mountain top of denial and homerism you have built for yourself, because your stand very much alone in your opinions. Of course your going to think that lists is bullet proof, it gives you a reason to have the beliefs that you do, no mater how ridiculous they are.

I also enjoyed seeing you dance around your entire post with “Toews won 3 cups...Malkin won 3 cups....only Toews did it in a 6 year span, making him superior.” Yes, let’s focus on that and completely disregard everything else Malkin is superior at....

Please remind me, what has Malkin done over the last 3 years compared to Toews?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Enjoy your lonely existence on that mountain top of denial and homerism you have built for yourself, because your stand very much alone in your opinions. Of course your going to think that lists is bullet proof, it gives you a reason to have the beliefs that you do, no mater how ridiculous they are.

I also enjoyed seeing you dance around your entire post with “Toews won 3 cups...Malkin won 3 cups....only Toews did it in a 6 year span, making him superior.” Yes, let’s focus on that and completely disregard everything else Malkin is superior at....

Please remind me, what has Malkin done over the last 3 years compared to Toews?
Another vapid attempt at trying to down play Toews accomplishments.

I didn't make the top 100 list, but it's there plain as day. You can't go back in time and try to rebrand it in the way fans of certain players want it to become, sorry about that.

As for the last three years, let's see, Malkin has had better team mates. So he obviously has done more. Which is funny considering the biggest straw man fans have is "der Toews had Hossa, Sharp, etc". Funny how that works.

Tell me, if Malkin didn't have team mates, how many points would he score?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

I didn't make the top 100 list, but it's there plain as day. You can't go back in time and try to rebrand it in the way fans of certain players want it to become, sorry about that.

As for the last three years, let's see, Malkin has had better team mates. So he obviously has done more. Which is funny considering the biggest straw man fans have is "der Toews had Hossa, Sharp, etc". Funny how that works.

Who’s down playing Toews? Your downplaying Malkins accomplishments by putting everything he has done in a box and attempting to line it up perfectly with what a Toews has done, only to add a different “standard” to further benefit Toews. As if being captain or winning cups in a certain time frame triumphs over everything else Malkin is superior at. Playoffs, regular season, trophy case, stats.....and another somewhat small factor, being literally a better player.

it’s there, and it’s terrible. Only posters like you continue to bring it up because it’s the only validation you have and give you a false sense of superiority that your opinions somehow can’t be argued....why? Because here’s a top 100 list that allows you to finally be a loud mouth about how right you are, even if your a VERY much the minority in that belief that it’s a good list. But hey, maybe you like being the minority, because it then further strokes your ego that you are a true knowledgeable fan of the game of hockey and actually have an expertise that we can’t compete with. All in all, your opinions and bias ways are so weak, you have to latch onto a stupid list as your means of actually having any sort of opinion, without it you have nothing....and that says something.

Malkin has had the better teammates? So he’s a product of his teammates even though Toews play suddenly went into the toilet once he lost Saad, Sharp, And Hossa? More of your “expertise” kicking in? Malkin has had Inferior linemates a majority of his career compared to Toews, that’s not debatable. Malkin has also been consistently the better player over the last few years, Toews hasn’t. You cry straw man, yet your whole argument falls on itself with your hypocritical backwards logic.

That question makes no sense what so ever, especially given the fact that if anyone relies more on the team around them between the two, it’s Toews. Take away his cups, Toews is no longer superior, take away Malkins, it still isn’t close.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT87 and Tweed

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Save this uselessness.

And I suppose Kris Bryant is "the best".

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
Who’s down playing Toews? Your downplaying Malkins accomplishments by putting everything he has done in a box and attempting to line it up perfectly with what a Toews has done, only to add a different “standard” to further benefit Toews. As if being captain or winning cups in a certain time frame triumphs over everything else Malkin is superior at. Playoffs, regular season, trophy case, stats.....and another somewhat small factor, being literally a better player.

it’s there, and it’s terrible. Only posters like you continue to bring it up because it’s the only validation you have and give you a false sense of superiority that your opinions somehow can’t be argued....why? Because here’s a top 100 list that allows you to finally be a loud mouth about how right you are, even if your a VERY much the minority in that belief that it’s a good list. But hey, maybe you like being the minority, because it then further strokes your ego that you are a true knowledgeable fan of the game of hockey and actually have an expertise that we can’t compete with. All in all, your opinions and bias ways are so weak, you have to latch onto a stupid list as your means of actually having any sort of opinion, without it you have nothing....and that says something.

Malkin has had the better teammates? So he’s a product of his teammates even though Toews play suddenly went into the toilet once he lost Saad, Sharp, And Sharp? More of your “expertise” kicking in? Malkin has had Inferior linemates a majority of his career compared to Toews, that’s not debatable. Malkin has also been consistently the better player over the last few years, Toews hasn’t. You cry straw man, yet your whole argument falls on itself with your hypocritical backwards logic.

That question makes no sense what so ever, especially given the fact that if anyone relies more on the team around them between the two, it’s Toews. Take away his cups, Toews is no longer superior, take away Malkins, it still isn’t close.

I didn't even have to read what you wrote, and I knew it was good.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Btw @Krisbryantisbest

Malkin had 98 points in 78 games including 42 goals with Hornqvist and Hagelin a majority of the year, who both combined for 80 points total. He out scored both by 18 points and 3 goals.

You say it’s abour “better teammates”, when in reality....Malkin maintained his health and once again showed how dominant he is, all while Toews further showed how much his talent needed to be complimented with other good players, and how he can’t control the line or pace on his own. Toews was only “better” when he was winning cups, and he was winning cups because he had a solid to stacked team around him. I’m all for Cups being a team effort, victory, and defeat....your problem is you put all the value and importance on Toews for wearing a letter and put him on the forefront of the TEAMS success. Malkin has shown success, dominance, and superiority outside of his team success, Toews hasn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mean Gene and Tweed

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

Malkin has had the better teammates? So he’s a product of his teammates even though Toews play suddenly went into the toilet once he lost Saad, Sharp, And Hossa? More of your “expertise” kicking in? Malkin has had Inferior linemates a majority of his career compared to Toews, that’s not debatable. Malkin has also been consistently the better player over the last few years, Toews hasn’t. You cry straw man, yet your whole argument falls on itself with your hypocritical backwards logic.

And this is why this forum is hilarious.

Toews captained a team to three cups in six years.

Is one of the top 100 players of all time

Youngest triple gold player

Etc,etc,etc

Who is downplaying Malkin when I specifically stated "top five"? That's bad? Or that Toews is, imo, a better player? That's bad?

The hockey fans opinion, in this case, is irrelevant next to those who actually voted one of the most prestigious lists in NHL history, if not the most important list in this games life.

Toews is on it. It happened, people need to get over it and trying to find reasons to justify why he shouldn't be. Remember- those who don't agree, their opinion doesn't matter, and nor should it for something as important as the NHL itself putting it's stories history on the line putting players on the only list that matters for career accomplishment.

Anybody can throw stats, awards, etc, and myself, a Toews fan, will say, "Toews is one of the greatest players in the history of hockey, he was picked as one of the top 100" and it will never get old.

I relish this. And I will make it even clearer,

I don't think any player playing right now, is better then anyone picked on the top 100.

Not Malkin
Not McDavid

None of them. Until another 100 years rolls around and then those players can possibly be immortalized as Toews already is and then be judged.

Thankfully, I won't be around in 100 years :D

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017

Etc,etc,etc

Who is downplaying Malkin when I specifically stated "top five"? That's bad? Or that Toews is, imo, a better player? That's bad?

The hockey fans opinion, in this case, is irrelevant next to those who actually voted one of the most prestigious lists in NHL history, if not the most important list in this games life.

Toews is on it. It happened, people need to get over it and trying to find reasons to justify why he shouldn't be. Remember- those who don't agree, their opinion doesn't matter, and nor should it for something as important as the NHL itself putting it's stories history on the line putting players on the only list that matters for career accomplishment.

Anybody can throw stats, awards, etc, and myself, a Toews fan, will say, "Toews is one of the greatest players in the history of hockey, he was picked as one of the top 100" and it will never get old.

I don't think any player playing right now, is better then anyone picked on the top 100.

Not Malkin
Not McDavid

None of them. Until another 100 years rolls around and then those players can possibly be immortalized as Toews already is and then be judged.

Not only McDavid is better than Toews right now, but he might have arguably surpassed his career too.

I won’t start talking about Malkin...

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sad that we need to have this discussion again with Toews homers

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Not only McDavid is better than Toews right now, but he might have arguably surpassed his career too.

I won’t start talking about Malkin...
How many all time top 100 greatest players lists are those guys on?

Prove me wrong.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
How many all time top 100 greatest players lists are those guys on?

Prove me wrong.

They’re on mine. You should probably go take a look on the History board where they’re actually doing a top 100 players of all time project. You should see more of them there.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Sad that we need to have this discussion again with Toews homers

Yeah, because I gave my opinion, and was suddenly bombarded with "but toes ain't better" jibberish when the NHL itself clearly stated he's one of the best 100 players all time while Malkin, and his fans, cried conspiracy.

It's ok, let it go. I have, the second the NHL itself justified what Hawks fans have been saying all along until recently.

Points, awards, cups can be debated. Top 100 of all time just can't be if your not on that list. It's a very special place, and one that can't be given to just anybody.

The Hawks have three players from the cap era. The Pens have Sidney. Isn't that enough?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

Etc,etc,etc

Not Malkin
Not McDavid

It’s the the idea that Toews is a better player because he captained a team to 3 stanley cups. Being the captain of those teams in no way shape or form boosted them further to win those cups. If Keith or Kane were captains, they still would have walked away with 3 cups. Your putting so much emphasis on his leadership as if it was such huge asset to their success. Toews is not a top 5 player from this generation.

Triple crown member? Cool. Huge accomplishment, doesn’t make him better than Malkin. Ect, etc? As if there’s more to his resume that is worth noting? What’s next? The Mark messier leadership award? His ESPY?

Prestigious? Hardly. It was a nice way of attempting to make Toews relevant. He was invited to an All Star game that he in no was deserved to be at, only to be revealed as a “top 100 player” because he wore a C for a semi-dynasty.

I have a problem with you continuously referencing it as your evidence.....as if it alone holds so much opinion on the subject. And of course you love it because it says everything you need to hear.....and you get to talk down to everyone here as if your right and we are all wrong, the HF community of haters.

Anyone can throw stats? Let’s see hear..Since entering the league...

1.20 PPG(2nd since ‘08/13th currentlyn AT)
845 points(3rd since ‘08)
337 goals(3rd since ‘08)
508 assists(7th since ‘08)
———
P/O
161 points(2nd/20th all time)
62 goals(2nd/27th all time
99 assists(2nd/23rd all time)
1.05 PPG(2nd/14th all time-100 games played)
——-
International Sen. totals
62-36-28-74
-World Champion AS: ‘07,’10,’12
-World Champion Best Forward: ‘12
-World Champion MVP: ‘12

2x Art Ross winner
1x Hart Winner(2x runner up)
1x Lindsay
Conn Smythe
3x First team AS
3x Stanley cup winner
2x World Champion Gold

Your logic.....
“He didn’t captained a team to 3 stanley cups and he isn’t part of the triple crown club....he CLEARLY isn’t better than Toews!!” Malkin is not only a top 100 talent, but has a top 100 career.....but please continue ignoring all this and be bias.

By the way, McDavid is already ten times the player Toews in his 3rd year.....but don’t let me convince you, I’m sure you think your above everyone no matter how many try to tell you otherwise.

Reactions: Suhov

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
They’re on mine. You should probably go take a look on the History board where they’re actually doing a top 100 players of all time project. You should see more of them there.
On a fan forum? Nah. Too many homers willing to stack votes makes it laughable to even mention.

Give me a legitimate list given by the league itself. That's the real list/only list that matters.

I don't see anybody saying "well Malkin is a top 100 player on HFBs" anywhere on social media. Do you? :D

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
It’s the the idea that Toews is a better player because he captained a team to 3 stanley cups. Being the captain of those teams in no way shape or form boosted them further to win those cups. If Keith or Kane were captains, they still would have walked away with 3 cups. Your putting so much emphasis on his leadership as if it was such huge asset to their success. Toews is not a top 5 player from this generation.

Triple crown member? Cool. Huge accomplishment, doesn’t make him better than Malkin. Ect, etc? As if there’s more to his resume that is worth noting? What’s next? The Mark messier leadership award? His ESPY?

Prestigious? Hardly. It was a nice way of attempting to make Toews relevant. He was invited to an All Star game that he in no was deserved to be at, only to be revealed as a “top 100 player” because he wore a C for a semi-dynasty.

I have a problem with you continuously referencing it as your evidence.....as if it alone holds so much opinion on the subject. And of course you love it because it says everything you need to hear.....and you get to talk down to everyone here as if your right and we are all wrong, the HF community of haters.

Anyone can throw stats? Let’s see hear..Since entering the league...

1.20 PPG(2nd since ‘08/13th currentlyn AT)
845 points(3rd since ‘08)
337 goals(3rd since ‘08)
508 assists(7th since ‘08)
———
P/O
161 points(2nd/20th all time)
62 goals(2nd/27th all time
99 assists(2nd/23rd all time)
1.05 PPG(2nd/14th all time-100 games played)
——-
International Sen. totals
62-36-28-74
-World Champion AS: ‘07,’10,’12
-World Champion Best Forward: ‘12
-World Champion MVP: ‘12

2x Art Ross winner
1x Hart Winner(2x runner up)
1x Lindsay
Conn Smythe
3x First team AS
3x Stanley cup winner
2x World Champion Gold

Your logic.....
“He didn’t captained a team to 3 stanley cups and he isn’t part of the triple crown club....he CLEARLY isn’t better than Toews!!” Malkin is not only a top 100 talent, but has a top 100 career.....but please continue ignoring all this and be bias.

By the way, McDavid is already ten times the player Toews in his 3rd year.....but don’t let me convince you, I’m sure you think your above everyone no matter how many try to tell you otherwise.
Link me to where Malkin is on the top 100 list.

Thank in advance

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Yeah, because I gave my opinion, and was suddenly bombarded with "but toes ain't better" jibberish when the NHL itself clearly stated he's one of the best 100 players all time while Malkin, and his fans, cried conspiracy.

It's ok, let it go. I have, the second the NHL itself justified what Hawks fans have been saying all along until recently.

Points, awards, cups can be debated. Top 100 of all time just can't be if your not on that list. It's a very special place, and one that can't be given to just anybody.

The Hawks have three players from the cap era. The Pens have Sidney. Isn't that enough?
Your whole “opinion” is based on a stupid list.....and that’s all. I mean, if your going to have an opinion, maybe at least have enough to back it up rather than just continue being obtuse.

And it’s the fact that you don’t think Malkin belongs ahead of Toews in terms of the best of this generation, and didn’t deserve to be on the list....why? Because of a stupid letter on a jersey.

Except Malkins resume can hardly be “debated.” It’s pretty clear cut an all time great career......but because he wasn’t captain during it all, he takes a back seat to a Toews.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey

Notice how quickly Toews went downhill the moment Hossa and Keith started declining?

#Alongfortheride

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Your whole “opinion” is based on a stupid list.....and that’s all. I mean, if your going to have an opinion, maybe at least have enough to back it up rather than just continue being obtuse.

And it’s the fact that you don’t think Malkin belongs ahead of Toews in terms of the best of this generation, and didn’t deserve to be on the list....why? Because of a stupid letter on a jersey.

Except Malkins resume can hardly be “debated.” It’s pretty clear cut an all time great career......but because he wasn’t captain during it all, he takes a back seat to a Toews.
Of course the list is "stupid" to anybody who doesn't agree with it.

But, it's the only list that matters.

There's players on that list I don't agree with, but they were voted onto it and I'm not complaining about it. The NHL hand picked every player and as a fan of hockey, it cannot be debated.

Think about it. It's better then the hall of fame. It's the Pinnacle of the sport.

Malkin isn't on it. He doesn't belong on it. If he did, he would have been on it.

Seriously, out of all the players who have played in the NHL, Toews is one of the greatest 100 who ever laced up the skates. I agree.

And there's really nothing anybody can say that can change it. Nope. Not gonna happen. Tough break.

But, I'm positive there will be another top 100 list in 100 years. Sure, it's not the real top 100 list as the one three Hawks players from the cap era rightly belong on, but, it's better then nothing. It's like second place.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Link me when you take your rose colored glasses off and get a clue :laugh:

You have a pretentious attitude, even when your out numbered and clearly wrong. I guess denial is really that powerful.
Out numbered?
As a Toews fan, I'm only out numbered by the 99other players on the Top 100 all time greatest players list.

And if I'm clearly wrong, then why is Toews on the list yet Malkin isn't?

Hint- Toews is better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad