When did Forsberg peak?

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Most people would probably say between 2002 and 2005. However, as I remember it he was even more spectacular in the late 1990s. During these seasons he was a faster skater, played a more reckless physical game and was a better two-way player. I particularly remember his battles against Derian Hatcher during the 98-00 playoffs and his famous 6-point game against Florida in 1999 (corrected). Was this the best version of Forsberg ever seen? It is also worth noting that the competition for Art Ross trophy was harder in the late 90s since Forsberg had to compete against peak Jagr, Selanne, Lindros, Kariya and also Lemiuex (for two seasons).

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Most people would probably say between 2002 and 2005. However, as I remember it he was even more spectacular in the late 1990s. During these seasons he was a faster skater, played a more reckless physical game and was a better two-way player. I particularly remember his battles against Derian Hatcher during the 98-00 playoffs and his famous 6-point game against Florida in 1997. Was this the best version of Forsberg ever seen? It is also worth noting that the competition for Art Ross trophy was harder in the late 90s since Forsberg had to compete against peak Jagr, Selanne, Lindros, Kariya and also Lemiuex (for two seasons).

I agree with what you're saying. Both Forsberg and Sakic were better versions of themselves in the 90's. When Forsberg actually won his awards, Lemieux/Lindros weren't what they used to be.

Reactions: Vanzig

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I feel like from 1996 till 2004 he was pretty consistently solid the entire way.

Sakic for example IMO peaked higher then Foresberg during those years, but had off years where he wasn't as good. Foresberg seemed to bring the same consistency every year unless he was too banged up to play.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Both guys racked up more individual awards and trophies in the early 2000s, but the competition during that era was nowhere near as strong as it was in the late the 1990s. For example, Sakic was named a 1st Team All-Star in 2001-2002, a season in which he was slightly below a PPG (79 in 82), finished 9th in Selke voting, and finished 4th in NHL scoring behind Iginla, Naslund and Bertuzzi. He had several superior seasons in the 1990s when he finished 3rd or 4th in All-Star voting (1995, 1996, 1999...for example).

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It’s sort of hard to say IMO....

He was extremely consistent from ‘96-‘99, but I feel his ‘00 and ‘01 seasons weren’t on that level compared to the few years prior. He then missed the entire ‘02 season, only to rebound to even stronger form in ‘03 and ‘04(even if it was shortened).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Your gut says 2003 first hand because that was his Hart winning season. But there are lots of players who had better years where they didn't win the Hart than years they did. I agree with people when they say late 1990s.

Reactions: flipp

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

Had he been utilized differently in the 1990s (similar to his role in the early-2000s), he probably has the better offensive numbers to match the reputation he always seemed to re-establish in the playoffs from 1998-2001 after Jagr took another Art Ross.

But the best Forsberg ever looked was versus Detroit in 1999. He was violent and reckless and better than anyone else.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

Had he been utilized differently in the 1990s (similar to his role in the early-2000s), he probably has the better offensive numbers to match the reputation he always seemed to re-establish in the playoffs from 1998-2001 after Jagr took another Art Ross.

But the best Forsberg ever looked was versus Detroit in 1999. He was violent and reckless and better than anyone else.

I probably love the scream even more than the goal itself. It's the ultimate proof the rivalry far exceeded normal levels of animosity. The team who had more guys willing to dive in heart-first won.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Forsberg had a long peak just ruined by injuries, would have what? Likely 9, maybe 10-11, seasons of 100 pts+ in a row if he played enough games. Hard to really pinpoint what was his "best" self.

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Brought on by his playing style, and applicable to every short career. Which is why "what ifs" never apply.
Injuries in the earlier part of his career might be a byproduct of his playing style. However, his foot problems in the later part of his career were very weird and not necessarily related to his playing style.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Funny thing is that most players in the league in 2006 still thought Forsberg was the best player in the NHL.

This was based on a survey of 346 NHL players that year. (February 27)
The question was: "Who is the best player in the NHL?"

Peter Forsberg, Flyers C 42%
Jaromir Jagr, Rangers RW 24%
Jarome Iginla, Flames RW 9%
Joe Thornton, Sharks C 5%

Forsberg's had a pretty long peak IMO.
1998 to the injury in 2004.

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Brought on by his playing style, and applicable to every short career. Which is why "what ifs" never apply.

No, he was born with foot issues which eventually led to his continuous groin pulls and retirement. In his first five seasons, he was actually one of the league’s healthier Centers.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
No, he was born with foot issues which eventually led to his continuous groin pulls and retirement. In his first five seasons, he was actually one of the league’s healthier Centers.

And what was the foot issue's connection to his torn spleen, doc? Btw, much love to all you armchair MDs *eyeroll*

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
His spleen cost him just 12 games. He did have ankle surgery in September 2001 and foot surgery in January 2002 though.

Can I roll my eyes at you now?

Roll away, but let's not act like his foot issues were somehow three degrees removed from all of his problems. For the record, I wouldn't change a single thing about the short-career legends. Better to be a Bossy or Forsberg than a Marleau or Gartner.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'll add that he also played a ton of hockey in the NHL, playoffs, Sweden and internationally for a guy who has the "injured and somewhat incomplete" tag attached to him.

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
Very specifically, it was the ‘02 playoffs, in my opinion. That Avs team looked completely gassed during that run, and he just put them on his back. (Having basically 11 months off helps, I know.) I’m not sure they even make it out of the first round without him. The guy was just money in the most crucial moments that postseason.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think he peaked in the press box while out for an injury circa 2000.

Forsberg was a fantastic player, but like some other short career players he gets the benefit of never really playing past his prime. His legend has grown more since he retired than when he played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->