When did Crosby stop being the best player in the world?

When did Crosby stop being the best player in the world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There is a lot of factors when counting goals against than just the player though.

Pretty much this, one only needs to look at the link that MJ provided earlier to see the lengths of bizarreness to describe the apparent lack of 200 play that ?Crosby has demonstrated.

Welcome to 2020.:popcorn:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
People will argue Crosby’s the best in the league until the year he retires. He was/is an incredible player but some people just can’t accept the thought of another player being consistently better.

Reactions: Sam Spade

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
People will argue Crosby’s the best in the league until the year he retires. He was/is an incredible player but some people just can’t accept the thought of another player being consistently better.

Crosby is still the #1 player you take for playoffs. That's why a lot of people still argue that he's the best in the league.

If McDavid had qualified for the playoffs each of the last 2 years, and performed up to expectations based on his talent - I expect the support for Crosby would be a lot smaller. I'm not blaming McDavid here - just stating that if he had done that, people wouldn't answer "Crosby" to the answer of who you take first for a playoff series today. As it is - Crosby's experience in the playoffs gives him benefit of the doubt over McDavid for many fans still.

Should McDavid go on to make the playoffs this year, make it to say ~round 3, and score something like 28 points in 21 games - if you redid this poll next year i don't think many people pick Crosby anymore. (of course - if Crosby himself outdoes even that, and maybe wins a Conn Smythe, that might continue).

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
if crosby is still the best hockey player then brady is still the best football player and lebron james is still the best basketball player

all of which we know is not true

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
if crosby is still the best hockey player then brady is still the best football player and lebron james is still the best basketball player

Brady was never the best football player or even close, and would you rather have Lebron or Giannis going into the playoffs?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I don't follow Basketball super closely i'll admit, but my vote would go to Lebron...isn't he having an mvp-caliber season?

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Crosby is still the #1 player you take for playoffs. That's why a lot of people still argue that he's the best in the league.

If McDavid had qualified for the playoffs each of the last 2 years, and performed up to expectations based on his talent - I expect the support for Crosby would be a lot smaller. I'm not blaming McDavid here - just stating that if he had done that, people wouldn't answer "Crosby" to the answer of who you take first for a playoff series today. As it is - Crosby's experience in the playoffs gives him benefit of the doubt over McDavid for many fans still.

Should McDavid go on to make the playoffs this year, make it to say ~round 3, and score something like 28 points in 21 games - if you redid this poll next year i don't think many people pick Crosby anymore. (of course - if Crosby himself outdoes even that, and maybe wins a Conn Smythe, that might continue).
But it’s that sort of wording and mentality that is the problem. Of course, it’s if the OILERS were a good enough team to make the playoffs despite McDavids monster play, they would be a playoff team. the fact that many are blaming McDavid for not making the playoffs and not “performing up to expectations,” when it isn’t any fault of his own that his team is trash outside of him and Drai.

But Crosby can have a below average 2016 playoff run and still win the smythe, only to be glorified for it, while the Pens have been a dominant team being lead by Malkin with Crosby out. I mean the hypocrisy is very real around here.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Mcdavid already has as many art ross as Crosby and Ovechkin has more Harts. Was Crosby ever the best?

The day McDavid played his first NHL game
FB_IMG_1579937817221.jpg

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Didnt vote. Mcd and Crosby are pretty close. It comes down to what you value at this point. Crosby has all the experience in the world, which young people won't see as important until they are older. If I have to choose between these two for a playoff run where everything else is equal I'm still picking Crosby.

Reactions: Son Goku

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Didnt vote. Mcd and Crosby are pretty close. It comes down to what you value at this point. Crosby has all the experience in the world, which young people won't see as important until they are older. If I have to choose between these two for a playoff run where everything else is equal I'm still picking Crosby.
But mcdavid will do whatever it takes.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
It is a little bit of a hard question to answer because how are we going to measure this? Do we look at just one season? Two seasons? Three seasons?

Crosby get the best player/generation label not because he has a high Peak. It's because when healthy he is consistently been at least a top 3 F for that season. Because of that he gets the best player label, he has only been the best player for that season just 3 times. 2007, 2013 2014. I can give him 2011 as well since most likely he would ended up being the best player.

The last season he has been the best player was in 2014. I can say 2014.

However 2015 2016 and 2017 he was a top 2 to top 3 nhl player for each of those 3 seasons and because of that I can call him the best player If we look at a larger sample size.

2017 to 2019 Crosby stopped being a top 3 nhl player for any season

I am going to say the end of 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad