Music: When BOTH versions can be considered the original--Our Lips are sealed

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Usually you have a definitive answer for original vs cover. But in some cases you have two versions where BOTH can be considered the original.

Example 1

Our Lips are sealed Go Go's vs Fun Boy three. Why is there a debate here? I imagine most of you have never heard of fun boy 3. The song was written by Jane Wieden of the Go Go's right? Yep-but it was co-written by Terry Hall her then boyfriend from England, Specials and Fun Boy 3. They each had a different take on the song when it came to what style it should be--melancholy vs happy--to a point.

Fun Boy 3

vs
The Go Go's of course

I actually like Fun Boy 3s a little more as it is a little more biting than the go gos

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Talk about " jumping the shark ". :laugh:

MV5BMTU1MjAxMDg1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTM1ODQyOTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
For what it's worth, thank you for an interesting trivia question. No "Adaptation" or "Remake" – this might be the only case of a hit song split evenly in two upon conception, like identical twins.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I honestly never heard of Fun Boy Three and they just came up on a podcast I was listening to last week so this thread is freaking me out a little. :laugh:

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Wooden Ships was written by Crosby, Stills and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane. Both bands released a version in '69.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

This is the original version of Wild Horses, written by Jagger/Richards but released a year before Sticky Fingers.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
"How Do I Live"

Leann Rimes recorded it first for Con Air, the studio didnt like it and had Trisha Yearwood record it after to sound more country (without her knowing Rimes had already recorded it). Both version were released (Rimes getting pop radio play and Yearwood getting country play). Both Rimes and Yearwood were nominated for the 'Best Female Country Vocal Performance' Grammy for the song at the same time with Yearwood winning

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've heard of that version, don't know if I knew much about the band.

Similarly but not exactly about how everyone thinks that the All the Young Dudes everyone knows is by David Bowie and not Mott The Hoople, even though Bowie did record it for himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad