When are the Next Next Gen Systems due?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't read the Xbox thread or Nintendo threads and haven't seen much about the future of gaming in the PS4 thread(aside from the neo), so i'm just wondering...has there been any word on when the PS5/Xbox1+ will be released? Are they even working on them yet?

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
Are there next gen systems currently around?

Seriously though, Microsoft thinks that incremental hardware upgrades (similar to what is being done now with the more powerful XBone and PS4) is the way of the future. There may not be a "next" XBox in that sense. I'm not sure what's Sony's position on the matter. Nintendo will keep doing its own thing; their next console (or whatever the **** it is), codename NX, is coming out early next year.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I've been saying it since the XB1 was debuted at E3, but Microsoft announced that console as the last console you'll need, almost as if hinting at a hardware upgrade path instead of brand new console generations.

Scorpio and Neo will test this theory. If games are truly backwards and forwards compatible, UI is identical and we are only looking at under the hood changes then it is true. At least for now.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I hate the idea, to be honest. I dont think it benefits the consumer. How ridiculous will it be when I want an XB1 game but its not capable of playing on my XB1 because I havent paid for the "premium upgrades"?

I dont see how the average user will be able to upgrade their systems easily at home, either.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I hate this. I hate every aspect of it. I want plug-and-play machines, that's what consoles were designed to be in the first place.

The companies seem to want to turn this into a smartphone-type cycle, where most users upgrade every-other-year...but I can do that with a cell phone because I'm going to be paying for service one way or another and most of the cost of the cell phone is covered in that service plan...charge me $400 each time I upgrade my cell phone and I'd still be using an iPhone 4.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
At least in the terms of the Xbox, Xbox play anywhere and where you can buy the game once, and play it on the Xbox or Windows 10 PC, consoles with upgradeable HW, and things like Steam Link, I don't care about future Xbox consoles.

Sony isn't a whole lot better/different, but PS has more exclusives, but if consoles are going to become PC-like, with upgradable HW, I'd rather just stick with Steam and a Steam Link.

TL;DR: Consoles and PCs are converging, PCs getting smaller, more power efficient, and at least with Windows 10 and MS wanting Windows everywhere, I don't know where that puts Xbox in all honesty.

And I think the current gen of consoles has generally sucked as well.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This isnt really about one upgradeable console as much as its going to be dozens of different consoles under the same name

:facepalm:

The more I think about it the more I hate it.

"These are all XB1....only this one and that one can't play this game but that one over there can, for an upgrade fee of $99"

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The problem is hardware has stagnated so much in the last 5 years other than video cards. The processor I'm using right now I was using in 2012 and it's still one of the best processors for gaming out there. Pretty much everybody has had at least 8GB of RAM in their computers for the last decade. And even GPUs for single display gaming are going to stagnate with the emphasis on VR and multiple displays. Something like the GTX1080 or even 1070 is going to likely run every game at max on a single display for the next 5+ years.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006
Something like the GTX1080 or even 1070 is going to likely run every game at max on a single display for the next 5+ years.

They already can't run all games at max settings at a great frame rate (60+ fps) if you increase resolution to 1440p or 2160p.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
were almost at the point where we can't get any better. scorpion and the next PlayStation upgrade will probably all run 60 fps 1080-4k. we don't need much more in terms of next gen. Microsoft has the right idea

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
They already can't run all games at max settings at a great frame rate (60+ fps) if you increase resolution to 1440p or 2160p.

Which all sort of pointless, short of measurebation. 4k is good in theory, but support of it in Windows is so hit or miss, and at 28" inches or so, you'd probably be better off backing off on the settings, and letting the increase in resolution takes care of the increase in sharpness/details.

But measurebation...so max settings it is.

I guess the PCMR might care, but I think all they do are run benchmarks, and they're likely running a dual or triple SLI setups at that.

But at 1080p? Pretty much everything is fine, assuming the game engine isn't crap, eg Fallout 4.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I feel like people are too worried about being unable to play games because of the hardware version they're on. Until that happens, I think it is far more likely the game you're delivered is simply a lower quality game. Much like on the PC where your hardware determines your graphics capability, but doesn't change the gameplay itself.

Entry level XB1 and Pro level XB1 basically. One better for entertainment, one better for gaming.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I hate this. I hate every aspect of it. I want plug-and-play machines, that's what consoles were designed to be in the first place.

The companies seem to want to turn this into a smartphone-type cycle, where most users upgrade every-other-year...but I can do that with a cell phone because I'm going to be paying for service one way or another and most of the cost of the cell phone is covered in that service plan...charge me $400 each time I upgrade my cell phone and I'd still be using an iPhone 4.

Exactly and perfectly said. I would be perfectly happy with my iPhone 3G but the newer ones were free with what I got from a carrier plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->