Speculation: When are the floodgates going to open?

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
There has been 1 player trade so far during the draft and it was before the draft even started. When do the floodgates open and all those big names speculated to be moved are finally moved? Is it during Free Agency or during the next couple of days or hours?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I’m going to go ahead and say they aren’t, that’s all smoke mostly by the media to get draws to there channels. I bet we only see a couple more trades, cap went up and there isn’t many teams that are strapped. And as evidenced yesterday teams are moving to just trying to draft there needs rather then acquire them.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I’m going to go ahead and say they aren’t, that’s all smoke mostly by the media to get draws to there channels. I bet we only see a couple more trades, cap went up and there isn’t many teams that are strapped. And as evidenced yesterday teams are moving to just trying to draft there needs rather then acquire them.

But, I mean there will be some movement of minor kind since UFAs have to be signed

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
There are no flood gates anymore. If anything the reservoir has run dry.

But if anything is going to spark trades at the draft it might be that Kovalchuck has signed. Most of the players rumored to be on the move are wingers (Skinner, Pacioretty, Panarin, etc.) so teams were probably waiting to see if they could get Kovy for just money.

Now that he is gone, people will look elsewhere.

Reactions: DaveG

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I'm guessing trade values are inflated at the moment so teams are either waiting it out or just not committing to moves.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Never, just like the trade deadline, the draft is has become more boring than ever.

This. A bunch of sensational teases by writers to boost page views, social media hits and tune in. Last night, pre-draft, one of the credible writers with tenure said, "I spoke to one GM who said this could be the busiest draft in a long time in terms of trades." We got nothing. Same crap yet again.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
"Floodgates" will be a relative term. There probably will be next to nothing happening until Tavares, and to lesser extent, Carlson are committed. Then there will be some moves. Not a flood... but some.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
When will the floodgates open? Who knows if they will. Draft picks are a huge part of the currency. Buyers now have prospects, and GM's are always going to be more apprehensive to move a guy they just drafted compared to a pick. Sellers would have preferred a pick this year rather than waiting a full year for a 2019 pick.

The next CBA needs to allow players to sign extensions from June 1 the year before they are FA's, as this will provide clarity for buyers and sellers going into the draft when it comes to players like Karlsson & Panarin (sign & trade or whatever). They should also open up the interview period a couple of days before the draft to try and avoid something like this again.

The jump in the cap meant that everyone had more flexibility, yet we've seen next to no trades. People can say that it's a disappointment because it was just all hype, but this isn't like the deadline. This is a time that teams should be looking to make roster moves. But when half the League isn't wanting to take on salary so they can take a run at an UFA then it gets more difficult.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Offers for Tavares are in a lot of teams' Plan A visions for the offseason. They have to leave room/hold off on other moves until they know whether he's available or not. A bunch of Plan Bs start to go into effect once he makes a decision about his future.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There are no floodgates during the off season. Everyone gets dragged along the week before the draft. Then the draft is a dissapointed with only a couple of trades and a handful of trades follow throughout the summer. Y’all get played up until the draft which 100% of the time is a dissapointment.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think alot of teams will want to kick tires with JVR first before they trade for another LW like Patches or Skinner. Basically why buy a cow when there is free milk out there.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
200w.webp

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
NHL GM's are the most conservative executives in sports. The media hypes up every occasion (trade deadline, draft, free agency) then nothing happens because GM's would rather maintain status quo than make a change and the media explains why nothing happened and that the next occasion is when trades and signings will happen.

• When the expansion lists were announced: "Get ready to see a lot of trades because GM's would rather get a 7th round pick than lose a player for nothing." *barely anything happens* "Well, you see, if teams traded for players that means that they would have to protect someone else and leave another player exposed and GM's didnt want to do that. But now that the framework for deals has been made, expect trades at the draft."

• Salary cap stays low: "We expect to see a lot of movement in the next few days for teams to free up some space from the cap." *nothing happens* "Teams just dont have the flexibility to make deals when they are so close to the cap, look for teams to get more serious as we get closer to the trade deadline, when cap hits are lessened."

• Salary cap grows by a large margin: "With teams having so much space, look for teams to try and improve their clubs with some big name players." *maybe 1 notable player gets traded* "The asking price is just too high because everybody thinks that they have a chance to make the playoffs right now. Once the season begins and teams start to falter we will start to hear prices drop and the trade deadline forces someone's hand."
It is the same bait and switch every year, and I like many others, fall for it every time. The past 2 weeks rumors have been flying around like crazy and people have been saying "Man, if only a 1/4 of these rumors come true, this is going to be a crazy draft weekend." There were 7 trades over the weekend and only 2 involved players, the rest were just maneuvering to select players.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
I don't know if we see a floodgate open or not, but I think on or around July 4th is when we are likely to some movement. Teams are still looking to see what their RFAs are going to sign for, if they have a shot at any of the UFAs, and if they can re-sign any of their pending UFAs for next year. Once you those answers, then you start to see what trades could be available. You need to make sure you have the budget and the room for any toys before you start buying them. Take the Preds for instance, probably not going to be very active until they get Saros and Hartman re-signed and an extension worked out for Ellis. Once they have that information, then you can start trying to make improvements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad