Value of: Wheeler's next contract

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
He's a UFA next summer, and that jets will probably extend him before the start of next season. He'll be 33 in the first year of the deal. As a Jets fan, I'm hoping he takes bit of a discount to stay on a loaded team. Maybe 3X8?

He'd probably get 10+ on the open market if he has another ppg season which is very likely unless the Jets powerplay gets a lot worse.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's a UFA next summer, and that jets will probably extend him before the start of next season. He'll be 33 in the first year of the deal. As a Jets fan, I'm hoping he takes bit of a discount to stay on a loaded team. Maybe 3X8?
It’s the unknown of when his drop off will ever occur? Cause, it’s the term more than the cap hit that should be the deciding factor.

Would he be looking for 5-6 years on his next deal which takes him to 38-39?

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
It’s the unknown of when his drop off will ever occur? Cause, it’s the term more than the cap hit that should be the deciding factor.

Would he be looking for 5-6 years on his next deal which takes him to 38-39?
You'd have to ask Wheeler, but that could make more sense as it would also drop the cap hit. In some ways I'd rather do something like a 6X6.5 deal (or cheaper if its ok with Wheeler).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Wheelers next contract is the biggest ???? for the Jets in the near future, he's one of the best wingers in the game and deserves to get paid but at the same time he's at the end of his prime.

They can't afford to lose him but can't afford to overpay him like crazy either.

Reactions: olli

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You'd have to ask Wheeler, but that could make more sense as it would also drop the cap hit. In some ways I'd rather do something like a 6X6.5 deal (or cheaper if its ok with Wheeler).
Pretty much every player takes term.

His comes down to the team on what they want to do cause the final year is going to be the lowest cash payment. At a cap hit of say $6 million, the final year is likely $4 million cash. So, is the team better off allocating that $4 million over one less year or giving wheeler that extra year? To bring down the cap. That would be like $800k more on the cap for example.

I think you pay for what you expect him to produce from age 33 until the eNd of the contract. Good luck to both sides on that.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Thinking he takes around 6.5 to keep the core together. I would be surprised if he held out for more at this point in his career. He wants to win.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking he takes around 6.5 to keep the core together. I would be surprised if he held out for more at this point in his career. He wants to win.
Winning a cup is great,but never underestimate the power of lots of money...Besides even if they dont resign him they should get some nice pieces back in trade for him

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

He'd probably get 10+ on the open market if he has another ppg season which is very likely unless the Jets powerplay gets a lot worse.

Look at how little Martin St Louis got as a early 30s UFA despite being one of the highest scoring wingers for a bunch of years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad