10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
"Nice deal. AAV is definitely team friendly. Good job Chevy&Little!"

You've changed your mind?

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
That is one MASSIVE assumption that no one can logically make at this time. This is just going to be a pointless conversation.

That's no assumption. It's a fact. Jets need to shed salary to resign Wheeler + all the RFAs.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
That is one MASSIVE assumption that no one can logically make at this time. This is just going to be a pointless conversation.
How many 33-34 year olds you want on your team at the same time? Youll have buff wheeler Little Perrault and possibly enstrom? Time to cut some of these guys loose.

Reactions: hudster and GNP

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Keep in mind that the cap is going up $5-7 million next season, and continues to go up. I think if Chevy is creative, and uses bridge deals on guys like Helle, we should be able to keep most of the core guys around.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
How many 33-34 year olds you want on your team at the same time? Youll have buff wheeler Little Perrault and possibly enstrom? Time to cut some of these guys loose.
Enstrom won't be brought back. Buff and Perreault might need to be traded a bit before their contract expires. Right now Little's contract is looking like a mistake, especially since we now know Wheeler can play centre.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Keep in mind that the cap is going up $5-7 million next season, and continues to go up. I think if Chevy is creative, and uses bridge deals on guys like Helle, we should be able to keep most of the core guys around.
But who is the core is the question? The old guard? Wheeler, Little, Enstrom, Buff. Perrault, or the new guard. Schief, Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, Helle.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
But who is the core is the question? The old guard? Wheeler, Little, Enstrom, Buff. Perrault, or the new guard. Schief, Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba, Helle.
Good question. I think it's a bit of both, but the younger guys should be a priority (i.e. keep Connor over Perreault).

paragon

May 5, 2010
I wouldn't rush to sign him to an extension. I would give him a decent offer the summer he hits free agency. Assuming his play doesn't decline I would offer him slightly less than he deserves on a short term contract, maybe 27M 3 years.

I think he's been really pivotal for Laine's success on the PP. There's a reason he leads the league in PP assists. He's also a character guy. Hard to speculate, but I would guess he's a really important part of the locker room.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I wouldn't rush to sign him to an extension. I would give him a decent offer the summer he hits free agency. Assuming his play doesn't decline I would offer him slightly less than he deserves on a short term contract, maybe 27M 3 years.

I think he's been really pivotal for Laine's success on the PP. There's a reason he leads the league in PP assists. He's also a character guy. Hard to speculate, but I would guess he's a really important part of the locker room.
$9 million a year? !! I'm thinking more like $7 million per year at 3-4 years max.

Reactions: hudster

paragon

May 5, 2010
38 yo Marleau is coming off a 46 point season and he signed a contract where he makes 8.5M this season. Wheeler is twice the player and when his next contract kicks in he's going to be 5 years younger and the salary cap is going to be higher.

38 yo Thornton had 50 points last season and signed a contract for 8M.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I knew Wheeler was underrated around the league since people don't really follow Winnipeg, but it's sad he's so underrated in Winnipeg also. During the last 3 years only Kane, Crosby, Kucherov and McDavid have scored more points than Wheeler.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
38 yo Marleau is coming off a 46 point season and he signed a contract where he makes 8.5M this season. Wheeler is twice the player and when his next contract kicks in he's going to be 5 years younger and the salary cap is going to be higher.

Marleau also signed for a team he didnt play his whole career with. You would hope that would buy us a homer discount. In addition, just because name two 38-year-old players it would be hard to name another who is not Jagr.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Marleau signed $6,250,000 AAV for 3 years and Thornton 8 mil for 1 year... That's a bit different than throwing 30mil 3 years at a player that's past his prime(age wise) and has never been a ppg player(other than this year.)

21mil 3 years max.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Yeah, Marleau is gonna have a cap hit of 6.25M when his last year kicks in as a 41 years old. I don't see how that's any better. Yet Wheeler apparently only deserves .75M more than Marleau on a 3 year contract from 33 to 36. Makes no sense. 7M cap hit is reasonable only if the deal is 7 years.

Maybe it would be better for him to just walk away as UFA. He could go play in a market that appreciates him.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah, Marleau is gonna have a cap hit of 6.25M when his last year kicks in as a 41 years old. I don't see how that's any better. Yet Wheeler apparently only deserves .75M more than Marleau on a 3 year contract from 33 to 36. Makes no sense. 7M cap hit is reasonable only if the deal is 7 years.

Maybe it would be better for him to just walk away as UFA. He could go play in a market that appreciates him.
I think Winnipeg appreciates him. It's just giving a 7 year contract to a 33 year old is risky. It's not about appreciation, it's about making smart decisions.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think the upcoming playoffs will be a huge yard stick on whether Wheeler gets a big money contract, Littles extension hasn't kicked in yet and his year so far has been underwhelming, Perraeult has had an up and down season, if this team goes out in the first round these 3 players might need to move on. Just the same hoping to make it into the 2nd round and beyond.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Enstrom won't be brought back. Buff and Perreault might need to be traded a bit before their contract expires. Right now Little's contract is looking like a mistake, especially since we now know Wheeler can play centre.

Wheeler can play centre, but Little is massively better defensively while doing that.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Not sure if you understand how it works but his contract holds a 6.25m AAV.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Marleau signed $6,250,000 AAV for 3 years and Thornton 8 mil for 1 year... That's a bit different than throwing 30mil 3 years at a player that's past his prime(age wise) and has never been a ppg player(other than this year.)
21mil 3 years max.

Well Little will take care of that pgg pace of Wheeler’s.

:sarcasm:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Why would NHLPA disapproval stop a player from doing anything? You think this is a militant blue collar shop that can exert any kind of real pressure on their millionaire playboy members?

Because the low contract gets used for comparison for future contracts. I thought this was common knowledge in sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The thing is, most of the significant RFAs we need to sign during the next two offseasons have already been bridged. That group includes Hellebuyck, Trouba, Lowry and Armia. Laine, Connor and Morrissey are the only ones coming off their ELCs.

We should be able to give decent extensions to most of our RFAs while still having enough money for Wheeler, but the tradeoff is having next to no shots at strengthening the team by free agency/retaining other veterans.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I have no idea what Blake will sign for, and it's a business so if he goes for what he is worth, good for him, he has earned that. But, I do think he's going to work with Chevy and do a deal that accommodates the team more than himself and leave money on the table. I think he wants to win, and he wants to win here and the best shot at that is within the next 2-3 years for himself and guys like Little and Buff who have been here for the long haul. You can see the fire in his eyes when he talks about being traded by Boston a mere months before they won the cup in 2011, and I think he knows this is as good of opportunity he will likely ever get again in his NHL career. I don't know what number Blake ends up taking, but I think it's going to be a fair one and one that shows he is here to win. He could likely cash out (potentially here or elsewhere) but I don't think that's his end game at this point in his career here in Winnipeg.

Just my hunch.

Reactions: Duke749

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I have no idea what Blake will sign for, and it's a business so if he goes for what he is worth, good for him, he has earned that. But, I do think he's going to work with Chevy and do a deal that accommodates the team more than himself and leave money on the table. I think he wants to win, and he wants to win here and the best shot at that is within the next 2-3 years for himself and guys like Little and Buff who have been here for the long haul. You can see the fire in his eyes when he talks about being traded by Boston a mere months before they won the cup in 2011, and I think he knows this is as good of opportunity he will likely ever get again in his NHL career. I don't know what number Blake ends up taking, but I think it's going to be a fair one and one that shows he is here to win. He could likely cash out (potentially here or elsewhere) but I don't think that's his end game at this point in his career here in Winnipeg.

Just my hunch.

Couldn’t agree more. I feel the same way Guerzy.

Reactions: Guerzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad