Speculation: Wheeler, Little and Buff - Trade Bait or do they end their careers with the Jets?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I respect and love watching each of these guys play but do they fit into the Jets long term plans? If not, when is the best time to deal them for future assets??

Blake Wheeler, RW, Captain, big - 6' 5" 225 lbs, fast and with 78 points and 74 points in the last 2 seasons. Leads by example but is 32 in Aug. Cap friendly deal until 2019! His compete time is 3 to 4 years? Valuable asset to contender and a good team guy.

Bryan Little, 1-B centre, incredible 2 way player. His points production in the last 2 years is a very respectable .737 and .797 points per game. I'd say the most underrated centre in the NHL. 1 year left on his cap friendly deal. He's only 29. He's definitely worth resigning but I'm sure he'll want a long term deal and does that take him outside his best years?

and

Dustin Byfuglien, RD 6' 5" 260 lbs. My favorite player to watch, period. An absolute bulldozer. Fast and has a great shot. Game changer. Incredible locker room guy!

What to do???

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think little and Wheeler end their careers with the Jets. I think Buff might very well be traded as early as next year's draft.

Buff will retire as the longest tenured Jets 2.0 player.
I'd say Wheeler has most appeal for trade bait.
Just a gut feeling

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Depends on how much Wheeler asks for in a couple of years, Buff not going anywhere any time soon and I have no idea about Little.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheelers value is at a high right now.
I would give Buff this season to see if he turns it around and starts to play smarter. If he doesn't, I would move him.
Little needs to be re-signed. There is nobodt to relace him...Roslo might, but not for 3 or 4 years.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
• Wheeler, No he's obviously our second best player, He's a great leader and will be a great peice to our franchie as it zooms into the next couple years as contenders

• Byfuglien, No his contract is too high and is unfortunately a liability at his position and not worth it, on top of that the guy has been the face of the franchise since the Jets came back.

• Little, Yes and No, he is a great 2nd Line Center but I think the team will keep him for 1 or 2 more years and unfortunately get less for him than we would now as he would probable go at his highest at the moment, similar situation as the Stafford trade(but Little will be more valuable regardless so we will definitely get more than a 4th round).

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
They all should be sold if Jets ever want sto be contender but the most likely scenario is that they all stay in playoffs bubble Jets.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Our time to progress is now. We have two of the best young talents of the league on ELCs for now, as well as some other cheap contracts running (let alone Scheifele's beautiful long term deal). If we don't take steps forward NOW, when we have this huge benefit, when are we going to?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We should be all in for the next 3-4 years. Little is the only question mark and only because I don't want too much term.

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I wonder if Buff causes more goals against than goals for. Why would any other team seek a player like that for that kind of money? If he has a bounce back year then trade hime for a defenseman that can actually defend. (Like Wheeler was saying- see the Anaheim Ducks)

Keep Little and Wheeler. They're beauts.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder if Buff causes more goals against than goals for.

That's pretty easy to look up.

His GF% 5v5 was 49.3% this year and xGF% was 52.3%.

His 3yr GF% is 51.9% and is 3yr xGF% is 52.4%.

Take away the bad goaltending and the answer is no.

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I look at Byfluglien being traded like Montreal trading PK Subban.

May not be popular, but, we need a defensman who makes defense a priority.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Just laughing at [the thought that] selling off wheeler, little and Byfuglien are steps forward :laugh:

Don't understand the logic at all. Trade them away, and then at trade deadline... Get very similar players for a playoff push? Not that we'd be in any position for a playoff push in the next 3 years if we got rid of them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
• Wheeler, No he's obviously our second best player, He's a great leader and will be a great peice to our franchie as it zooms into the next couple years as contenders

• Byfuglien, No his contract is too high and is unfortunately a liability at his position and not worth it, on top of that the guy has been the face of the franchise since the Jets came back.

• Little, Yes and No, he is a great 2nd Line Center but I think the team will keep him for 1 or 2 more years and unfortunately get less for him than we would now as he would probable go at his highest at the moment, similar situation as the Stafford trade(but Little will be more valuable regardless so we will definitely get more than a 4th round).

You spelled 'first' wrong

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Sorry, but I want no part of Blake @ 7mill per over years 33-37 as his game declines. Once Laine bumps him off the top line/PP1 for good his production will take a hit.

Another concern would be Wheeler's offense relies heavily on speed & transitional play. When he loses a step that fall is steep.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Just laughing at [the thought that] selling off wheeler, little and Byfuglien are steps forward :laugh:

Don't understand the logic at all. Trade them away, and then at trade deadline... Get very similar players for a playoff push? Not that we'd be in any position for a playoff push in the next 3 years if we got rid of them all.

Depends if you can find the same level of talent in younger forms. I would trade Little for Hannifin tomorrow(if we picked up a good enough Center in the Draft or Free Agency to one day replace him, Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Patrick, Glass or Hischier)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You don't think Scheifele is better? I mean Wheeler is probable one of the reasons Scheifele is so good but I Scheifele is younger and putting up more points at the Center position.

League Ranking in WAR for Forwards

Wheeler - 4th (15.9) <- highest WAR for a winger but Jets do not have elite players or something
Scheifele - 22nd (12.9)
Perreault - 35th (11.5)
Ehlers - 62nd (9.6)

Scheifele may become the Jets best forward as soon as next year, but Wheeler is really, really good.

Breaking it down further:
Wheeler is 8.9 in offense, 4.5 in defense, 2.6 in PP offense, and 0 in penalty differential
Scheifele is 8.3 in offense, 0.8 in defense, and 1.1 in PP offense, and 2.5 in penalty differential

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wheeler should be pretty good for 4-5 more years and he has 2 left on the current deal. If he is going to be traded, this summer is the time to do it. Top 10 in scoring last season and 11th this season.....he will want a lot of dough for at least 6 years. When he starts playing for his next contract he will be 33 years old.

Little for Hanifin is insane. We couldn't replace him when he was hurt and it changed all of the lines. Little should be re-signed for 4 years , 5 tops. Little will be 31 when he starts his next contract.

Buff needs to be told that he is the 2RHD and he needs to play smarter. If he doesn't, the team will be looking to move him after this season. If he responds, we have a 1RHD playing 2RHD. If he doesn't, he is traded at the 2018 entry draft as mentioned earlier and we get a lot back for him.

Trade Wheeler for a king's ransom, give Buff a season and sign Little is what I would do...unless the plans for Wheeler are for re-signing him for slightly less than he is making and he won't agree to that.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I look at Byfluglien being traded like Montreal trading PK Subban.

May not be popular, but, we need a defensman who makes defense a priority.

Byfuglien might be able to score but I don't think any team would want to absorb his contract as a Top 4 D Man who defends very poorly. But if we could get someone with a much lower standard in Offense but plays very well as a defender then im all in on it.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Wheeler should be pretty good for 4-5 more years and he has 2 left on the current deal. If he is going to be traded, this summer is the time to do it. Top 10 in scoring last season and 11th this season.....he will want a lot of dough for at least 6 years. When he starts playing for his next contract he will be 33 years old.

Little for Hanifin is insane. We couldn't replace him when he was hurt and it changed all of the lines. Little should be re-signed for 4 years , 5 tops. Little will be 31 when he starts his next contract.

Buff needs to be told that he is the 2RHD and he needs to play smarter. If he doesn't, the team will be looking to move him after this season. If he responds, we have a 1RHD playing 2RHD. If he doesn't, he is traded at the 2018 entry draft as mentioned earlier and we get a lot back for him.

Trade Wheeler for a king's ransom, give Buff a season and sign Little is what I would do...unless the plans for Wheeler are for re-signing him for slightly less than he is making and he won't agree to that.

Agree with all of this

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I love Wheeler but he'll be 34 at the end of his current contract. I don't want Wheeler past his current contract unless it's a 1-2 year deal and he's still producing at a high level at age 34.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad