Wheeler commits to Green Bay (USHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstreim

Feb 17, 2004
That's a surprise. I expected him to graduate and move on to the NCAA. That or go straight into Canadian Juniors. :dunno:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he'll play in green bay and then head to the university of minnesota...

imo this is a good move from a hockey standpoint. playing at breck would have been a joke for him, he would totally dominated and scored a ton of points but would have have improved at all against the competition??

only better option would have been graduating early and heading to minnesota now...

jstreim

Feb 17, 2004
Jeff Dahlia said:
Um....he is going into his senior year of high school! So...before you :banghead: ..... trust me, it is actually a smart move.
Uh.. yeah. Didn't realize that. Thanks for clearing that up.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
A trip to the CHL would be best for him. Play a couple seasons then go pro. Normally I would not argue against taking the free education, but I think the way that'll get him to the NHL faster is best for him and being a high pick he should be focusing everything on hockey.

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
RyanM said:
A trip to the CHL would be best for him. Play a couple seasons then go pro. Normally I would not argue against taking the free education, but I think the way that'll get him to the NHL faster is best for him and being a high pick he should be focusing everything on hockey.

Hockey isnt everything in life...what if he gets injured and doesnt make a dollar playing hockey in his life? Then im pretty sure he would have wanted to go to college and gotten a degree.

Plus the kid is so young. Its not like the ushl and 4 years of college hockey is going to be bad for him. It will just allow him more time to develop so when he gets to the NHL he will be ready for it right away, unlike a lot of the chl'ers who play in the minors before the show.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Smart move, IMO. Wheeler is pretty raw, I think it'd be a better idea to take it step by step, instead of just jumping up to a league like the CHL. He can improve over the next year, learn some of the finer points of the game, add some weight, then test his skills in the NCAA in 05-06.

Nothing wrong with taking it slow, IMO. It only helps you develop as a player to go at your own pace instead of being rushed.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
SkateLikeTheWind said:
Hockey isnt everything in life...what if he gets injured and doesnt make a dollar playing hockey in his life? Then im pretty sure he would have wanted to go to college and gotten a degree.

Plus the kid is so young. Its not like the ushl and 4 years of college hockey is going to be bad for him. It will just allow him more time to develop so when he gets to the NHL he will be ready for it right away, unlike a lot of the chl'ers who play in the minors before the show.

If he was not drafted i'd agree with you. For a top prospect who is already drafted, I think CHL is the best route for him right now. USHL is too low a calibre for a 1st round NHL pick to be playing at when he has other options. 2-3 years in the CHL would better prepare him for life as a hockey player compared to 1 year USHL then 2 years NCAA. And when you're a top 5 pick, you should be thinking about life as a hockey player, not about the many possibilities that could end your career. And school is not necessarily for everyone, just ask Adam Pineault who is now playing for Moncton in the QMJHL after a disapointing season at Boston College.

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
NYRangers said:
Im confused. So he is going to school and playing in that league? I was under the impression he would have to move to play in that league and be on the move to away games. Could someone explain it?
If you read the article it says he will be going to that school, along with a some of the other players on the team....they obviously make away game schedules work, and that high school is in the green bay area [not in MN if that is what you were thinking, his MN high school was Breck]

degroat*

RyanM said:
If he was not drafted i'd agree with you. For a top prospect who is already drafted, I think CHL is the best route for him right now. USHL is too low a calibre for a 1st round NHL pick to be playing at when he has other options. 2-3 years in the CHL would better prepare him for life as a hockey player compared to 1 year USHL then 2 years NCAA. And when you're a top 5 pick, you should be thinking about life as a hockey player, not about the many possibilities that could end your career. And school is not necessarily for everyone, just ask Adam Pineault who is now playing for Moncton in the QMJHL after a disapointing season at Boston College.

Why can't people just accept that his desire is to play in the NCAA and move on?

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Stich said:
Why can't people just accept that his desire is to play in the NCAA and move on?

Yes, it does get a little sickening when these arm chair QBs that have some lame bias against college hockey act like a kid is a piece of meat without a life. Wheeler's family is pretty driven in terms of stressing education. Blake is a very level headed and smart kid. He has had a path in mind (going to college hockey) and college hockey has been continually showing that they are getting some of the best pro prospects and developing them for the next level. The days of the CHL being the only way to go are long gone.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Stich said:

What? All I did was voice my opinion why I think that for him, CHL is the best route. I have no problem with NCAA as a developmental league.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
PuckFan01 said:
Yes, it does get a little sickening when these arm chair QBs that have some lame bias against college hockey act like a kid is a piece of meat without a life. Wheeler's family is pretty driven in terms of stressing education. Blake is a very level headed and smart kid. He has had a path in mind (going to college hockey) and college hockey has been continually showing that they are getting some of the best pro prospects and developing them for the next level. The days of the CHL being the only way to go are long gone.

Get a pair of glasses, you obvious have reading problems. Where did anyone say CHL is the ONLY way to go? I said CHL, FOR HIM, is, in my opinion, the best way to go. Apparently that's too difficult for some of you people to comprehend.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
RyanM said:
I said CHL, FOR HIM, is, in my opinion, the best way to go.

Unless you are Blake and know what his goals and desires for his life are, how the heck are you going to know what is "best" for him? Obviously he feels his best route is college and something tells me he is more qualified to judge what is best for his life as opposed to some faceless fan on the net.

Just Joshin'

Mar 11, 2004
This was a smart move by Wheeler to forgo his senior year at Breck. He had 100 points last year (45G-55A) playing in 25 games. What does he have to gain from staying at Breck and playing 20-some games in a league he has already dominated. By going to USHL, he'll get to play in 70 to 80 games against a higher level of talent. It'll help accelerate his development and get him three times as many games to play in (or dominate). I just hope this decision doesn't deter him from his commitment to the Gophers, because I would love to see Wheeler, Chucko, and RJ Anderson playing for them in the 05-06 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad