What's your worst hot take opinion you were way off on

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I thought Eichel had a shot at breaking the Sabres all time points record... even making a case for best in the 15’ draft... oof

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Tthought Laine would be the leagues best scorer 3-4 seasons in and would develope his game on other parts. Instead he has regressed to a complimentary 2nd liner with no drive. I`ll give him 2 more years to show he belongs in the Top6 before I call him a bust...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I was positive that Curtis Lazar had 30goal upside and would be a the Sens captain after his WJC.

In all fairness he did set some scoring records at the Hlinka (I think?). The Sens scouts said at the draft he had an amazing and heavy shot that hes going to score a lot with when they were interviewed at the draft.

And the kid looked not out of place whatsoever playing role of Hyman to Matthews when he rode shotgun to McDavid and captained the WJC gold medal winning team. He was FAR more of a complete player that had more to offer other than high energy and some body checks.

And I was pretty vocal here about my belief in him, and rather dismissive of anyone who saw him as the 4th liner that he is...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I was positive that Curtis Lazar had 30goal upside and would be a the Sens captain after his WJC.

In all fairness he did set some scoring records at the Hlinka (I think?). The Sens scouts said at the draft he had an amazing and heavy shot that hes going to score a lot with when they were interviewed at the draft.

And the kid looked not out of place whatsoever playing role of Hyman to Matthews when he rode shotgun to McDavid and captained the WJC gold medal winning team. He was FAR more of a complete player that had more to offer other than high energy and some body checks.

And I was pretty vocal here about my belief in him, and rather dismissive of anyone who saw him as the 4th liner that he is...
It's okay Sam I forgive you ;)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've had lots of bad hilarious takes when it comes to hockey. But I've learned over the years I'd never to overrate things. One take I had was Tampa should've drafted Jones over Drouin, which today is a lot more accurate. But I find everybody overrates prospects in terms of

But one of my worst hot takes that comes to mind is Edmonton becoming a contender by 2013-14, Colorado being a contender by 2010-11, or Vegas being bad from the start. But one that's more laughable is Jake Virtanen being a star power forward that scored an average of thirty goals a season. And Curtis Lazar being a star 2C, similar to Bryan Little but with a lot more upside.

A good one is Cody Hodgson becoming a dominant superstar. He showed he had the ability to dominate, even had an incredible season post-draft showing promise. I find his problem was he couldn't develop his personal game in a men's league.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I thought Eichel had a shot at breaking the Sabres all time points record... even making a case for best in the 15’ draft... oof
This right here. I really thought he would give McDavid a run for his money.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That Avs should have picked Crouse over Rantanen. Granted, I always admit I haven't watched a lot of players before a draft so you have to be an idiot to take my views seriously, but that was still a pretty bad take.

That Phil Kessel was the type of player that could be good on bad teams but never could be an important part of a winning team. Phil proved me wrong and I bow to his winning ways.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pascal Leclaire at one time during the 2008 season was doing better then Luongo. Leclair was also 4 years younger and doing better? Dude is going to break out and be the guy he was suppose to be.

Nope.

Also though Nikita Filatov would at least be an offensive contribituter in the NHL.

Nope.

Though the Oilers were going to be a dynasty with the Signing of Justin Shultz after they drafted Hall, the Nuge and Yak in consecutive years.

Nope. dead wrong.

Thought Tyler Myers would be better for us. At least a Edler level dman, Edler made mistakes too and at times struggle we know that, Jets fans telling us he's struggled lots of times, thought we brought in a Edler level dman, hells no.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Komisarek would be our elite #1D and captain for the next decade...jeez he was done after that Lucic fight.

Nylander > Pastrnak. There was tons of debate between Leafs/Bruins fans between 2014-17 ish, they had similar production but it's quite obviously Pasta. Willy is a great player in his own right though.

Puljujarvi is an elite 1st overall talent. Obviously getting better but way off lol. I think if he didn't have those injuries right before his draft he would've been closer to that elite winger, but yeah not close.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Rangers fans wanted to make a huge trade offer for Nathan MacKinnon before he broke out and I called him a "glorified 55-point player."

In retrospect, said trade probably would have been a solid one.

To be fair, after 4 years, it was pretty reasonable to question if he’d ever put it together and be more than a 55 point guy.

For the Rangers Pionk was absolute garbage and showed almost no upside so I still don’t care for him. I’d make the trade again. He’s improved since but he’s getting a bit overrated. Every time I watch the Jets he stands out negatively and don’t see what the hype is. I still think he regresses once Winnipeg gets competent NHL defensemen aside from Pionk and Morrissey

I think that’s a case of being to close, and over analyzing his flaws. As someone who only watched him a couple times a year, I thought he had a lot of upside. Like everyone else, I didn’t think Winnipeg was getting the better player at the time of the trade, but it definitely worked out that way.

I called him having upside of a 3rd line center, and downside of a 4th line winger. I just didn’t see the offense, and was dead set against the Oilers picking him at 7 like a lot of Oiler fans wanted. But of course, I was also arguing that Jackson Houck would be the same player, and would be available in the 3rd. We actually took Houck, and then of course he didn’t develop even slightly since his draft year, and only played 55 games of pro hockey... mostly in the ECHL... so I missed just a little on that prediction

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I offered a 1st and Krug on the main board for Jake “Cam Neely” Virtanen.

I was sure Ryan Spooner and Pasta would be the Bruins 1st line for a decade.

I was sure Jonas Brodin was going to develop the offense and become a Lidstrom lite Norris contender.

I thought Jake Gardiner would thrive in Carolina away from the blue and white spotlights.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A couple of things off the top of my head, I thought the Kings rebuild was stalling out before the went on their first Stanley Cup run that very season and always thought Vincent Lecavalier had the higher ceiling than Joe Thornton from a big man + talent point of view.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
A couple of things off the top of my head, I thought the Kings rebuild was stalling out before the went on their first Stanley Cup run that very season and always thought Vincent Lecavalier had the higher ceiling than Joe Thornton from a big man + talent point of view.
Vinny was the league's best player for a brief period.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I remember stating that Puljujarvi would end up having a better career than Laine.

It seemed ludicrous for a while. Maybe next year it can be reclassified as a hot take. And I'm rooting for Jesse to make it beyond a hot take.

I said the same thing. Funny enough when I mentioned in a different thread earlier this year I was surprised I may possibly end up being right about this after all some Liane fan embarrassed himself about the suggestion.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->