What's your worst hot take opinion you were way off on

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I thought Gilbert Brule would be a consistent 25 goal scorer. More recently I thought Quinn Hughes would struggle and take a long time to produce at the nhl level.
I remember a time around 2002-2003 when Brule was being compared with Crosby, and more than a few scouts were saying Brule would go 1st overall in their draft year.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Alexander was much better than William Nylander.

Yakupov was going to be like Bure. He was not even as good as Valeri Bure.

Carter Hart was going to be in the running for Vezina this year.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I thought Neil Pionk was a waste of a roster spot and the Jets got hosed in the the Trouba trade. Happy to eat crow on that one.
For the Rangers Pionk was absolute garbage and showed almost no upside so I still don’t care for him. I’d make the trade again. He’s improved since but he’s getting a bit overrated. Every time I watch the Jets he stands out negatively and don’t see what the hype is. I still think he regresses once Winnipeg gets competent NHL defensemen aside from Pionk and Morrissey

Reactions: STHLM

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Back in my fantasy keeper days, I really didn't like Mark Stone's skating.

Doh!

Also thought Corey Crawford was garbage after IIRC his first playoffs as starter. Let in some backbreaking stinkers that a dead body laying in the crease would've stopped.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Had the guttest of gut feelings that Matt Tkachuk was gonna be a bust. Couldn't tell you why, just had a strong feeling about it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve had more than a few.

Dal Colle was my favorite player in the 2014 draft.

I was really low on Cale Makar and Brady Tkachuk.

Hanifin is one in the opposite direction. Max Jones another.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
That Haula would score 40 goals IF allowed to play with elite playmaker like for example Aho or Granlund...

He got traded around and actually got to play with both and decided to prove me wrong.

Reactions: DaveG

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Not sure if this counts but going into the '08 playoffs I bet a friend that the Sharks and Caps would meet in the Final in at least 5 of the next 10 seasons and it'd go down as one of the great Cup rivalries of all-time.

Didn't even happen once.

In fairness, still think it should have. At least once.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I (and many in my team) raved Cody Hodgson (viewed him as having captain and 1st line C potential, though injury cut that short), Hunter Shinkaruk (thought he had top-6 upside, esp. after he roofed one in preseason and showed offensive flair) and Jared McCann (definitely a talented center) as all having top-6 upside. Would not have expected McCann to currently be the only one to be in the NHL.

Also (after seeing him play in his 2014 season in Vancouver) I thought Jacob Markstrom was a bust. He let in one of the few shots he saw. Man has he improved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad