HF Habs: Whats YOUR plan ?

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
If you want to add Price in there then you can add Alzner too.

But 3 top 3 picks over 7 drafts is not different then what teams like WPG/TOR/EDM/TB have on their team. Habs tanked because MB did a bad job which is the only true way you tank. If you have good management then you don't have a loser hockey team. And if you have bad management even if you tank you won't turn it around, case in point TOR and EDM and ARZ.

What, Toronto hasnt turned it around ?

Also technically I guesss Edmonton doesnt fit your redefinition of rebuilding since theyve signed UFAs/ made trades and whatnot. Not that Im really into arguing your gibberish.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Also technically I guesss Edmonton doesnt fit your redefinition of rebuilding since theyve signed UFAs/ made trades and whatnot. Not that Im really into arguing your gibberish.

And What about Toronto? 2 consecutive first round eliminations? Is that what you call a successful rebuild?

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
And What about Toronto? 2 consecutive first round eliminations? Is that what you call a successful rebuild?

toronto are yet to hit their peak....their core players are 20 years old....the peak of that team will be 2020-2025....so yes i would say they are successful, very much so, wait and see....and wait and see where we are in those years :rolleyes:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
toronto are yet to hit their peak....their core players are 20 years old....the peak of that team will be 2020-2025....so yes i would say they are successful, very much so, wait and see....and wait and see where we are in those years :rolleyes:

Well let's see then...
Would you not exchange rosters with Toronto right now?

I don't think that team is built the right way and I'm not sold on some of their players tbh...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

That's possible future success though, they still haven't actually been successful and how they do in 2020-2025 depends on how they manage to fix their defense when when their young stars are taking up such a huge chunk of the cap

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not sure how that is relevant. Not being the Habs =/= turning it around.

Being better than the habs sure would imply that a team who didn't beat the habs for 3 straight years turned it around.

Like, pretty clearly.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Don't be such a wuss, and just answer the question.

I answered already, Not sold on them, I should go into a full detailed analysis and shit to answer to this question, not worth it.

Looks nice on the surface though... but freaking Plekanec outplayed that whole roster in the PO apart probably Marner... I mean good luck boys.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I answered already, Not sold on them, I should go into a full detailed analysis and **** to answer to this question, not worth it.

Looks nice on the surface though... but freaking Plekanec outplayed that whole roster in the PO apart probably Marner... I mean good luck boys.

I didn't ask you for a full analysis. I asked you if you would prefer Montreal's roster going forward or Toronto's roster.

It's the next step up from a yes or no answer.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Absolutely. Their first overall pick got them in the playoffs in year 1. Not even Patrick Kane, Drew Doughty or even Sidney Crosby managed to do that. The rebuild was too successful, if anything.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
if the pipe dream, comes true & they land tavares, then we can retool IF is bergevin somehow trades 67 for a C..but i can't see habs going anywhere unless bergevin signs 2 top 2 C's and a pmd..if he can't find those three very unlikely pieces, keep selling off assets for picks and young players

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I guess I dont look at it in terms of tanking or not.

So if we get Tavares, and let's say trade Chucky for Hanifin, then I see we can be close to contending right now. Draft an elite winger. Trade Patches for a top C prospect plus.

If no Tavares then guys like ROR or Stastny don't get it done in my view. Then to me we are wasting Weber as an asset, so trade him, trade Patches and I would still do Chucky for Hanifin.

Call it tanking or whatever. I prefer young already drafted guys who look promising but have not yet taken that next step. Hanifin right not is 2nd pairing and I think he is going to break out to top pairing ability on a consistent basis next year, but he hasn't done it yet.

agree with that.

Only thing is I wouldn't be so quick to dump everyone. Look at Boston they held onto guys like Bergeron and Chara during the past 2 years. If we can get 2 good picks this year and next we will still need some good vets to play with them when we make the playoffs.

Loot at TOR they are going to pick up some vets this summer after losing in round 1 twice.

The key is to be able to turn around losing to winning quickly. So having guys like Weber/Price can help the team do that. But you put out feelers and if good offers come you don't turn anything down.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Toronto only turned it around once they got rid of Burke. Shanny=good management, Burke=Bad management. Same with EDM. Lowe=Bad, 4 top picks going nowhere. Tanking is a product of management not being good. Vegas was supposed to tank as a expansion team, now they are in round 2 of the playoffs. You think they are going to try and finish bottom next year? Good managers = good teams. Bad managers=bad teams. If Habs finish bottom next year it will be because MB failed again not because of his master plan.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Do we fans have the patience for that though? Imagine we draft top 3 this year and next and then 2 years of 1st round exits. I bet dollars to doughnuts this board would call for a new rebuild and that the team sucks etc... People were flipping out about an ECF and 2nd round loss how its useless and we need cup now.

I don't think the fanbase on this board could stomach not winning a cup within a year or 2 of finishing the "tank". 99% sure the calls to trade Matthews would be insane here. Look at Max and his playoff no shows.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

You are unbelievable. I guess Auston Matthews is done at 20. No wonder you dont believe in rebuilds :laugh:

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
agree with that.

Only thing is I wouldn't be so quick to dump everyone. Look at Boston they held onto guys like Bergeron and Chara during the past 2 years. If we can get 2 good picks this year and next we will still need some good vets to play with them when we make the playoffs.

Loot at TOR they are going to pick up some vets this summer after losing in round 1 twice.

The key is to be able to turn around losing to winning quickly. So having guys like Weber/Price can help the team do that. But you put out feelers and if good offers come you don't turn anything down.

Yeah , the timing of a turnaround is important. If we had the centres up and coming so they could contribute within the next couple of years so we were contending by then it could certainly make sense to keep Weber as a Hanifin- Weber pairing could be a real good tandem.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Don't be foolish, they are miles ahead of us. Young and hungry.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Being better than the habs sure would imply that a team who didn't beat the habs for 3 straight years turned it around.

Like, pretty clearly.

The Habs are not the bench mark here though. I thought we sucked the last few years? They should win a round in the last 15 years before I think they're "turned around". Just one.

Reactions: scrubadam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad