Whats your Opinion of Kesler?

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I wish he never had his 41 goal season. He's now got a massive ego, forgot what a pass is, and is underperforming his contract.

I'd rather have him as an elite third line C and worked on getting a guy who can make plays involving his linemates on the 2nd line.
I can see wanting him to the 25 goal/50 assist kesler.

Why would you want third line center when you have a guy who can be one of the ebst 2nd liners in the league?

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
I can see wanting him to the 25 goal/50 assist kesler.

Why would you want third line center when you have a guy who can be one of the ebst 2nd liners in the league?

Because I don't think he can ever be the 25 goal / 50 assist Kesler again.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Look, I don't mean any offense, but people that think Kesler should be on the third line are just out to lunch. It just doesn't make sense in any way. Even if the Canucks had Evgeni Malkin on the 2nd line, Kesler would play wing.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
It's weird that he cut out all the antics, had a 41 goal season, then totally embraced them again and had a terrible season last year. Seems like he has given up on playing for the team and just plays for himself now. He's not the same player he was in 2011 and frankly doesn't seem to want to be. Kind of the same as what Bertuzzi did after coming back from his suspension.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Look, I don't mean any offense, but people that think Kesler should be on the third line are just out to lunch. It just doesn't make sense in any way. Even if the Canucks had Evgeni Malkin on the 2nd line, Kesler would play wing.

When I read this I was about to throw my keyboard, then I read would play wing, and I decided that was reasonable.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Kesler should play wing anyway.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
So much hate in this thread and so predicable.

-Player X has big year gets big contract.
-Player X suffers major injury and misses extended period of time.
-Player X comes back and looks terrible.
-Fan base totally ignores the injury problems and proceeds to trash Player X to no end.

The reality is that for the better part of 3 seasons Kesler was one of the very best forwards in the league. He was easily a top5 defensive forward while putting up close to a point per game from the second line.

It isn't 100% that he will get back to that level but he should at least get very close. It's going to take time though, and by "time" we aren't talking about 5 games, hell he might not be back in peak form until next year.

The guy has spend the majority of the past year and a half either hurt, or rehabbing. Spewing venom in his direction because he's off his game is totally absurd.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

If they're talking about him playing the 3rd most minutes of the centre's on our team then yes... out to lunch.

If they're talking about him being our "checking" centre... then they're absolutely right. He needs a heavy defensive load, it's what he does best.

Kes is a {MOD EDIT:} **** but he's a hell of a hockey player and we need him so I cheer for him reluctantly.

AlphaMale

Jan 21, 2013
Kesler is not the problem, Booth is. I'd be for trading Schneider and Booth in a package to get Kesler a real 2nd line Winger.

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
So torn about Kesler right now. One one had I want to give him lots of time to get into shape, but his attitude is driving me nuts. It's not coincidence we are a sub500 team since he's been back simply because other teams hate this guy and they raise their game to play us harder. His rapport with the officals is just plain bad and this won't change anytime soon.

I once thought he could be the new Linden, but his attitude is too American cocky to ever be the wholesome Canadian Linden was.

I still have faith in him and hoping management can get him to lose the attitude.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So torn about Kesler right now. One one had I want to give him lots of time to get into shape, but his attitude is driving me nuts. It's not coincidence we are a sub500 team since he's been back simply because other teams hate this guy and they raise their game to play us harder. His rapport with the officals is just plain bad and this won't change anytime soon.

I once thought he could be the new Linden, but his attitude is too American cocky to ever be the wholesome Canadian Linden was.

I still have faith in him and hoping management can get him to lose the attitude.

Yikes.. I think you can drop the nationalities from that. There are lots of cocky Canadian players who don't bring great leadership tangibles, and vice versa for Americans who are "wholesome".

Basso

Dec 11, 2008
^I know it's a harsh generalization. Maybe it's a Michigan thing he's got going on I don't know I just don't like his attitude anymore but hoping it will change.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Let's be honest, we all know why kesler went beast mode in 10-11, he was pissed off that they didn't name him captain. It fueled him for the entire season as he strived to prove that he was captain material. Someone should strip the C of Hank and give it to Raymond. That might ignite him again. :handclap:

AlphaMale

Jan 21, 2013
How can you blame someone who hasn't even played on his line?

That's the point. He's not good enough to be a 2nd line winger that's why he isn't playing there. People are always quick to bash the core of this team but give secondary scorers like Booth slack because he's new to the team. Gilles made a mistake taking on both contracts of Ballard and Booth.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
That's the point. He's not good enough to be a 2nd line winger that's why he isn't playing there. People are always quick to bash the core of this team but give secondary scorers like Booth slack because he's new to the team. Gilles made a mistake taking on both contracts of Ballard and Booth.

No, he isn't playing there because Kesler needs some defensive presence on his line ATM (ala Higgins, Hansen). And anyways, Booth has probably been better in his games back so far than Kesler, barring some missed chances against Dallas. If Kesler continues to play the way he is playing right now, no upgrade is going to help.

Wizeman*

Because I don't think he can ever be the 25 goal / 50 assist Kesler again.

Based on .........what?

All the Kesler haters come out of the wood work when they feel they can kick him when he is down. Its been happening for years now. Without fail.

He has 4 points in 6 games after 2 major surgeries and 9 months without a hockey game at all. Yes his timing is still way off. Its SUPPOSED to be at this stage

Hes doing fine. Trust me, once he gets up to speed all the Kesler haters will go back DEEP underground where they belong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Problem isn't so much Kesler as it is the inconsistent collection of average wingers that have been recycled on his line. I think his game would take off if he had a Perry type on his wing or rode shotgun with the Sedins. Hell even someone like Riberio (I hate his guts but he's a great puck distributor) or Semin would make Kesler more dangerous. Teams just crowd the **** out of Kesler because there is nobody else on the 2nd line really worth paying attention to.

hackey

Oh Did I Offend You
Aug 18, 2003
That's Too Bad
Visit site
Wow the hate
All Kesler needs to do is start posting more or be funnier on his Twitter account

Did wonders for Strombone

He just needs a bit of PR training like his Tim Horton's gig, and then the cattle wouldn't hate as much

Lundface*

Problem isn't so much Kesler as it is the inconsistent collection of average wingers that have been recycled on his line. I think his game would take off if he had a Perry type on his wing or rode shotgun with the Sedins. Hell even someone like Riberio (I hate his guts but he's a great puck distributor) or Semin would make Kesler more dangerous. Teams just crowd the **** out of Kesler because there is nobody else on the 2nd line really worth paying attention to.

Yes and no. Alot of Kesler's problems are brought upon by himself. At his best he isn't the selfish player we've been seeing for a couple years now. When playing as he should be, Raymond had a very successful season as did Samuelsson. Neither of them are world beaters...

The way Kesler is playing now if you give him any winger he won't make it work. If you give him a center it may work because then he can tee off one timers or put his head down and shoot at defenders all he wants...he'd just have to allow those around him to make him better. The sooner he realizes he isn't Stamkos and starts using his linemates the better this team will perform. Just as people complain Henrik needs to shoot more, Kesler has to stop wasting rushes by forcing shots.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

I do agree with you. For whatever reason he is not put on the wing and I can't see it happening. The thing is, with Kesler at the moment is he is not making his Line mates look any better then they are, and if he wants to be put on the same category as other top players in this league he has to start doing that. He has the skill set.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Something people seem to miss here, is he had his best season, winning a selke trophy when we had a healthy manny and kess was not being matched up against the other teams top lines.

This was showed again, when in the playoffs he had his best series offensively against a Nashville team that he did not have to shut down a toews or thorton.

At this exact moment people need to cut the guy some slack, he is just getting back from two surgeries and not playing a game in like 9 months.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think he's still working off the rust so I wouldn't blame him for it, but the "teams just crowd Kesler because nobody else is worth checking" is totally wrong-- I don't know how you can watch these games and think that's the issue. Higgins and Hansen were playing great and generating a ton of offense playing with just about anyone else-- They've suddenly looked incapable of generating anything while sharing the puck with this version of Kesler. Again, I'll cut him slack, but he certainly isn't making things easy for his linemates.

I almost feel like as he's still getting out of his funk, he should play with the Sedins so that he's forced to play a less selfish game.

I think I'd like to see

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler
Higgins - Burrows - Hansen
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth
Volpatti - Lapierre - Kassian

temporarily for some short-term success.
Wow the hate
All Kesler needs to do is start posting more or be funnier on his Twitter account

Did wonders for Strombone

He just needs a bit of PR training like his Tim Horton's gig, and then the cattle wouldn't hate as much
I don't know, his sense of humor is pretty bad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad