Whats your Opinion of Kesler?

Bobby Lu

Feb 7, 2007
What is everyone's opinion of Kesler as a player on this team?

Quite frankly I find him to be a very frustrating player to follow because we all know what he can do but he never achieves that level consistently. Another issue I have with him is his attitude and demeanor on the ice. He seems to be hated by all the refs and his embellishment is embarrassing at times.

Purely from an offensive mind set I've really been frustrated with his game. I've given up on him ever scoring more than 25 goals in a season. He just doesn't change his game or adapt.

I still think he is capable of being a force defensively but he's so focused on being a scoring threat that I feel his defensive game has worsened from the past.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Judging his play this far this season is a wash IMO. Once he gets more games in and we're further in the season then we can judge how he is non-effective/effective.

M A K A V E L I*

Still needs another 8-10 games to get back into game rhythm. It's still baby steps at this point.

He needs to use his teammates more. :sarcasm:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Kesler is the most frustrating player to watch when he's off, and the most exciting player to watch when he's on.

I wish he would stop ****ing diving though.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Firstly hes my favorite player. Secondly hes the heart of our team. We have no chance at the cup without him. Yeah hes been frustrating but what do you expect? Hes had two terrible injuries. Pretty sad how a lot of fans are giving up on him. In the playoffs hes the guy that will get us too the next level. Brings so much to the table. We re an average team without him, but a great team with him. We re lucky to have him at such a discount. RANT DONE

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It's hard to say anything positive about a guy that in 6 games has been on the ice for more GA than every other forward except Higgins (who plays on a line with him now so it's not even fair). He's getting hemmed in his own zone constantly too. He'll get better but in the meantime he's completely useless outside of the PP.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
He sucks right now, but it's probably the rust. When he's back to himself, his defensive game is awesome, his offensive game is often ******.

Dudeinator

Oct 6, 2009
Firstly hes my favorite player. Secondly hes the heart of our team. We have no chance at the cup without him. Yeah hes been frustrating but what do you expect? Hes had two terrible injuries. Pretty sad how a lot of fans are giving up on him. In the playoffs hes the guy that will get us too the next level. Brings so much to the table. We re an average team without him, but a great team with him. We re lucky to have him at such a discount. RANT DONE

Okay, stop saying that. What does that even mean? "Heart of the team" is thrown around so much in hockey lingo, I'm pretty sure people can't even adequately articulate what that even means. I feel like it holds more meaning to the fans than its actual impact on the team.

And secondly, what do you mean we have no chance at the cup without him? Frankly, I think losing either Sedin worsens our chance to win the cup way more than losing Kesler.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
If he is the heart of our team then people must view our team badly. He's been nothing short of embarrassing with how he portrays himself on the ice. Comes off as a player with no class and respect. Refs seem to feel that way too and are getting sick of his antics.

Burrows is the real heart of this team

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If he is the heart of our team then people must view our team badly. He's been nothing short of embarrassing with how he portrays himself on the ice. Comes off as a player with no class and respect. Refs seem to feel that way too and are getting sick of his antics.

Agree.

Lundface*

He's highly overrated by our fan base. He had one star season and a few very good ones, but now he has completely stopped using his linemates. He isn't very involved in the play either, at both ends of the rink. Hopefully his head deflates sometime soon because the way he plays he brings whoever else is around him down.

He is not the heart and soul of this team IMO, and if he is its easy to see why they have looked completely lifeless upon his return.

As it stands this is a one line team that gets bailed out by its goaltending more often than not. The offence is generated by the d pinching so aggressively, or jumping up into the play. If this team is to succeed it needs a legitimate star player on its second line, otherwise its far too easy for other teams to just stop 2 players.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Bolded. I don't even know what that means?
I think we do have the chance to win the cup without him, assuming we can replace him with a player as good as him.
I'm not surprised at how this fan base has turned on him, we turn on everybody, Kess is a prime candidate since he seems like a... egg is a word I can say on here.

Personally I have learnt from Raymond, This is not a good time to judge him, Next year would be better. He has not played for a long time, everyone is just rounding into form, so hopefully he will around playoff time. PP looks better in general since he got back. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of our players so diving doesn't hurt my feelings, and I honestly don't think he is worse then a lot of players.

Wizeman*

I find it childish that because we got smoked by lousy goaltending that we need to start hate threads of our own players.

Kesler did nothing wrong tonight, except be on the ice for Luongo's meltdowns

The only players who really showed up were the twins and it was obvious early on Luongo was not going to catch any breaks so even they mailed it in after that.

Lets not 'pick the player I hate the most' and make a thread to spite the guy.

Team will be fine.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I'm pretty sure attitudes towards Kesler are the only thing that have changed. Everyone is now expecting him to be this offensive dynamo.. he's a world class shut down center, that's what he does and that should be his primary objective in most hockey games. He's also shown an ability to produce some offensive and he should be expected to. That being said, he's not Steven Stamkos.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Another issue I have with him is his attitude and demeanor on the ice. He seems to be hated by all the refs and his embellishment is embarrassing at times.

Let's face it. This is the biggest issue anyone has with him. Here's a guy who has been through two major surgeries, one which affected his play last season, and interrupted the beginning of this season, and he gets completely no benefit of the doubt even after only 6 games. This is pretty pathetic.

Karter

Feb 16, 2012
Sherbrooke
Kess is a beast and I have nothing but faith in him.

My criticism with him has always been his lack of team play and his embellishments.

Otherwise, excited to have him back.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

That's a funny one considering Burrows actually bit someone and he dives as well.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
The team has had problems re-integrating him into the lineup. He's such a huge part of this team and it's going to take time for it all to come together. But when it does, it's going to be amazing.

All we need to be focused on is making the playoffs. So far so good...

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
The team has had problems re-integrating him into the lineup. He's such a huge part of this team and it's going to take time for it all to come together. But when it does, it's going to be amazing.

All we need to be focused on is making the playoffs. So far so good...

agree, he's the guy who usually gets things going again when the Canucks are going through a rough patch in a game.

dsedin

May 29, 2011

Agree on some points, disagree on others.

He is a vital piece to the team and we'll need him to play well if we are going to win the cup. Heart of the team-sure I'll give him that, he's a hard working player that puts up points.

I don't think fans of this team are giving up on him at all..Kesler is a fan favorite and will be as long as he's a canuck, but any player's performance is up for discussion, I don't know why it always has to be a love or hate relationship. Most of Kesler's issues have been reoccuring for a long time. I don't really see anyone complaining about the lack of points, any player returning from a major injury deserves some benefit of the doubt. Embellishing, not using his line mates (again, long term issue) and poor move/shot selection can't all be attributed to catching up to game speed.

Again, merely mentioning negatives to his game do not equate to blind Kesler hate. Kesler is a beauty and can be a dominant force on this team. Right now I don't expect him to be that force, I don't think anyone does. But expecting improvement in areas he has shown weaknesses for a long time now, is fair.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm not ready to comment on his play so soon after an injury. I like him alot as a player, although he does have his flaws. I actually don't even care that much about his attitude on the ice.

However, I actually get the impression that he'd be a pretty douchey and annoying person to be around in real life, though.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Okay, stop saying that. What does that even mean? "Heart of the team" is thrown around so much in hockey lingo, I'm pretty sure people can't even adequately articulate what that even means. I feel like it holds more meaning to the fans than its actual impact on the team.

And secondly, what do you mean we have no chance at the cup without him? Frankly, I think losing either Sedin worsens our chance to win the cup way more than losing Kesler.

1) He is the heart of the team. In the playoffs who drives the play on our team? Its Kes. Who actually shows heart and gives it all? Kesler does. Disagree Kesler means more to this team thing in a single Sedin.

I love Burrows but really? You think what Kes does is embarrassing but you think biting and pulling someones hair isnt?

Bolded. I don't even know what that means?
I think we do have the chance to win the cup without him, assuming we can replace him with a player as good as him.
I'm not surprised at how this fan base has turned on him, we turn on everybody, Kess is a prime candidate since he seems like a... egg is a word I can say on here.

Personally I have learnt from Raymond, This is not a good time to judge him, Next year would be better. He has not played for a long time, everyone is just rounding into form, so hopefully he will around playoff time. PP looks better in general since he got back. I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of our players so diving doesn't hurt my feelings, and I honestly don't think he is worse then a lot of players.

The year we went to the finals KESLER did everything for us. Kill penalites, shutdown players, Make HUGE plays. How is he not the heart of the team? This team wouldnt even be considered contenders without him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad