Whats your favorite run in with an oiler...

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Not many run-ins I mostly let the players and former players go about their business. Fuhr and his kids were 4-5 rows behind me and a couple friends when we went and saw The Hulk (Eric Bana Hulk Yikes!)

Met Anderson at an autograph session at the Wine and Beyond in Terwillegar a few months back. Didnt even know he was doing an autograph session till I went in and saw a lineup of people in Oilers jerseys. I didnt have anything to sign but he signed one of those player cards they usually sign. He talked with everyone briefly.

I used to see Huddy at the old Heritage Mall in the toy store with his kid when I was a young lad myself

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Threads like this pop up every now and again. The overwhelming majority of the posts are positive or funny stories. That said, I can’t recall anything positive ever posted about Glen Anderson. That tells quite a story.

This is a great thread. Very entertaining! I have had the honor of a few run ins, which I'll post at some point.

What strikes me though is all the supposed stories of Taylor Halls antics. "My friends sisters boyfriends cousin saw him at a bar and...."
These were the same stories about Anderson back into day. I ran into, saw, and actually partied more than once with him and other Oilers back then. For us over 50, there is no comparison from then to now when it comes to interaction. They were totally accessible. And loved it. When they wanted to be left alone, they weren't out on public.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I have a few non oilers but well known players. Dave Babych has to be one of the nicest athletes ever. Shot a puck up to me while I was watching a practice, signed autographs and talked to a huge group of kids and parents. Seriously the nicest guy.

Todd BertuzzI, this is before he’s well know or an all star. Walks into the restaurant area of the rink, a small kid about 8 years old asks for an autograph and he actually tells the kid “get lost” I just sat there in shock like come on, I thought they were all like Dave Babych until then.

And Bobby Orr, he was sick with food poisoning, still stood there talking and signing autographs. I’ve never had anything signed, even when I was young I never cared about meeting athletes. But he was someone I was in awe of.

One Oiler actually showed up to a hockey school I was at and was a great guy. Mike Grier.

Reactions: RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I have a few non oilers but well known players. Dave Babych has to be one of the nicest athletes ever. Shot a puck up to me while I was watching a practice, signed autographs and talked to a huge group of kids and parents. Seriously the nicest guy.

Todd BertuzzI, this is before he’s well know or an all star. Walks into the restaurant area of the rink, a small kid about 8 years old asks for an autograph and he actually tells the kid “get lost” I just sat there in shock like come on, I thought they were all like Dave Babych until then.

And Bobby Orr, he was sick with food poisoning, still stood there talking and signing autographs. I’ve never had anything signed, even when I was young I never cared about meeting athletes. But he was someone I was in awe of.

One Oiler actually showed up to a hockey school I was at and was a great guy. Mike Grier.

I grew up going to Wayne Babych and Gary Rissling' hockey school.
Our family and Risslings were close. Oilers first year in NHL, we hang out at tge glass when Blues were in town and Wayne would come and talk to us, usually about where he'd be later. So cool as the other kids were envious!
Dave was nice as well but I didn't know him as well. Married twins from Winnipeg that were other family friends forever.
Good people

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The only time I ever talked to an Oiler in person was Lowe when he was the keynote speaker for a "Men of Integrity" conference in Stoney Plain, back in his early days as Oilers GM. Not even kidding.

Well, being from Stony Plain ;) It's too bad you didn't get to meet Glenn Hall instead of Lowe. Helluva nice guy. My folks know the family well...his son was my dad's best man. Always wanted to see if my dad could make the call to see if I could see his memorabilia but never got the nerve to ask...

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly. These guys are there to pick up girls, they aren't there to befriend your dumb drunk ass.

Yeah. That's kinda where the dickishness comes in.

Heard a story from a reliable source about one of the last straws for Chia with Hall was Hall hammered at a bar writing some really ign'ant things on a girls jersey when they asked for an autograph. Apparently a big enough deal where the team replaced the jersey and gave her tix to keep it quiet.

No word on whether or not it was the kind of girl Hall would try to pick up. :)

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Which I have to also ask, how big of dicks are the guys that are going up to him?
They are, personally i don't approach players ever outside "events", since they must get hundreds of people asking stuff per day and for sure must be tiring.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Well, being from Stony Plain ;) It's too bad you didn't get to meet Glenn Hall instead of Lowe. Helluva nice guy. My folks know the family well...his son was my dad's best man. Always wanted to see if my dad could make the call to see if I could see his memorabilia but never got the nerve to ask...

You should! Doubt he'd turn you down. Agree - what an incredibly nice man. Hockey history or not.[/QUOTE]

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I live downtown and see quite a few players and management people around at cafes/grocery stores. Once saw Kassian walking into the Loblaws and he had the same look in his eyes as he did when he ran over Dillon and Couture in the playoffs...

kassian.jpg

Reactions: Del Preston

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah. That's kinda where the dickishness comes in.

Heard a story from a reliable source about one of the last straws for Chia with Hall was Hall hammered at a bar writing some really ign'ant things on a girls jersey when they asked for an autograph. Apparently a big enough deal where the team replaced the jersey and gave her tix to keep it quiet.

No word on whether or not it was the kind of girl Hall would try to pick up. :)

ya hall was not a great guy in his time here and yes being a dick can affect the team negatively overall. on occasion it may not (see pronger) or at least it doesn't for a short period of time but eventually it wears down the team having to deal with someone like that even if they are one of the best players on the team and team cohesiveness breaks down. i also think eriksson wasn't the easiest guy to get along with as well in at least part of his time there.

it's no coincidence that shero specifically told hall he needed to be a better player on the ice and a better person OFF of it too. absolutely makes a difference in the overall quality of the team in the long run.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I've been able to meet my fair share. Ones I had the worst experiences with were

1- Taylor Hall
2- Georges Laraque

Hall had no interest in meeting a fan and was visibly upset when I asked for a signature. This was at an Oilers signing event after the lock out so it's not like I sat between him and his gf in a theater and asked for it. I had won some time with Yakupov who was great, bumped in to Hall after that and he was not nearly as accommodating.

Laraque was in our town for a charity event and was Mr. Big Shot. Came off as very snobby to a lot of us.

All my other experiences have been positive. Shared a flight from Victoria to Edmonton with Dwayne Roloson last summer, he was really nice.

Messier and Anderson were here recently and both were decent to deal with.

We had Owen Nolan, George Parros and Marty Mcsorely take over our restaurant a couple years ago making pizzas and donairs. All were great, Mcsorely and my dad both know Sam Abdul Hassen the tailor and hit it off right away.

Louis Debrusk is probably my favorite to interact with. Was able to meet him a few times and he's always been awesome to us.

Attachments

• E26E717D-B230-4D3B-9C7D-21E70B8F4CE9.jpeg
    E26E717D-B230-4D3B-9C7D-21E70B8F4CE9.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 27
  • C760104D-D491-4D87-9212-EB3092AEBB2D.jpeg
    C760104D-D491-4D87-9212-EB3092AEBB2D.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 28
  • 7D998F4F-9A3D-4F84-AB98-3DEEC31BE731.jpeg
    7D998F4F-9A3D-4F84-AB98-3DEEC31BE731.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 26
  • 54652381-8B7A-4AEA-8BB4-749416E63752.jpeg
    54652381-8B7A-4AEA-8BB4-749416E63752.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 27

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I saw Hall out and he wasn’t being a dick, all I saw was a young guy picking up willing ladies. You can’t tell me McDavid and Nhuge aren’t absolutely crushing the P.

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Two stories, one Oilers related, one not.

When I was like 10, I met Ryan Smyth on the Mill Woods Golf Course on the 16th hole. We'd just finished putting out, I was wearing an Oilers hat and an Oilers shirt that day and he saw me after hitting his tee shot. He approached me and said he appreciated the support and signed my hat and gave me an Oilers branded golf ball that I still have. I was so star-struck and shy that all I did was mumble "Thank you". My parents did all the talking, they constantly remark when they retell the story how nice and professional he was.

The second story is much more recent. My friends here have started a tradition that after midterm exams we all go to a Toronto Marlies game while completely blitzed. The Saturday games that we go to usually start at 4 so we a as a group start drinking and playing NHL at about noon. So by the time we get to the game we're pretty wasted, such is the life of a university student in their early 20s. Anyways, this was last year and the Marlies were playing the Syracuse Crunch, we had pretty good seats and we'd gotten them free through a friend's dad. Anyways, we didn't know initially, but some of the scratched/injured Crunch players were sitting behind us. One of my friends is very social/extroverted and somehow ended up talking to the group of guys throughout the game and introducing all of us. After the end of the game they invited us to a party which was in an apartment in Downtown. Anyways, bascially 4 really drunk college kids ended up at a party with some of the Syracuse Crunch. I couldn't tell you all of the players there but I hung out with Corey Conacher and Erik Condra for quite a bit. It was pretty cool and the guys were all real nice.

Anyways, one kind of prototypical run-in, one very much not.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
A few more:

Ran into MacT at starbucks, he was walking out with a tray of drinks and me and a friend kinda immaturely cheered him on like "wooooo mact!!" and he was quite used to something like that and said thanks boys, smiled and walked out without missing a beat.

Met Taylor Hall a few times. He talked with me for a bit, answered some kinda average questions I came up with on the spot about the NHL. Wasn't rude. He was a bit quiet, only one time I saw him drinking and it was just a bottle of coors or something.

Met Randy Gregg a few times, down to earth guy. Told me to stay in school.

Served Georges Laraque in a restaurant in Montreal. Very nice guy, he was stoked to hear I was from Edmonton. Also served Marc Bergevin and Jeff Molson. Both were nice.

Served Schultz, Draisaitl, Arcobello, Pitlick, Pisani, Stortini, Nikitin, Patrick Laforge, Ryan Getzlaf, and a few others NHL related people in restaurants in Edmonton. All were pretty low key and nice, never had a bad experience. They seem to often play some kinda credit card game to see who pays. Getzlaf was the nicest NHLer I met, he was a gentleman. Nikitin ordered food and drink like a boss. The most common drink ordered among them was probably coke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad