Whats your favorite run in with an oiler...

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I recall one time at wem when Anderson was asked by a kid no older than 6 or 7 for an autograph and Anderson had told him to f..off .within 10 seconds the father had pin Anderson to a wall and was ready to kick the shutout of him .needless to say Anderson was made to apologize and was called out by about 12 people around...
Yeah i wonder who that kid could be. f*** you Glen.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I recall one time at wem when Anderson was asked by a kid no older than 6 or 7 for an autograph and Anderson had told him to f..off .within 10 seconds the father had pin Anderson to a wall and was ready to kick the shutout of him .needless to say Anderson was made to apologize and was called out by about 12 people around...

Non hockey related but back when I was 10 I went to a Trappers game when Tim Salmon was playing for them. I ended up catching a baseball and approached Salmon, who was off on the sidelines. I asked him if he could sign my ball and he looked directly at me and said "f*** off kid." Then walked away.

Reactions: RegDunlop

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I remember once getting sent to Mariusz Czerkawski's house cause a job came across my desk (during the off-season) so I thought "OOOOhhh...this could be cool" and I made sure I was the one to go. In honesty, I think I was hoping to meet the Bond Girl rather than him.

Anyhow, met neither and the place totally had The 'Burbs vibe to it. 3/4" plywood covered every ground floor window.

And why I was there had NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is a great thread. Being a fan in Detroit I’ve waited at hotels countless times over the years so I’ve had some good and bad ones.

The good:
Steve Staios- had a jersey of his and he was shocked like he never saw his own jersey before outside of Edmonton. He signed it and took a picture with me. A few months go by and I see him in Columbus and he remembered me before I pulled out the picture and called me his Detroit fan and signed the picture when I pulled it out.

Chris Pronger blew off most of the dealers and hopped on the bus but then came out and signed my team signed jersey and got back on the bus. Another time in Columbus he got off his cell phone and told me to walk with him and he signed everything I had for him. Still don’t like what he did in leaving the Oilers but he was always nice to me.

MacT just finished a jog and signed everything anyone had for him.

Jan Hejda- asked for one of my photos to be mailed to him. I of course obliged and he sent me back ten other things

Dustin Penner- after writing him an encouragement letter during his struggles he sent me back a stash of photos including a signed picture of him with the cup chugging champagne.

Raffi Torres- always signed autographs and my girlfriend at the time had a crush on him so he signed her jerseys beautifully and took pictures.

The few guys I never had a good interaction with were Tommy Salo, Jason Smith, Mike Comrie, Dwayne Roloson

Comrie was probably just tired and cranky from some of those multi-party encounters he had the evening before. As for Gator well he got his nick name from somewhere. I guess Dwayne got his rep somewhere too.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Not who you were replying to, but it looks like I can contribute to this thread!

I haven't had a chance to meet an Oiler yet but for a brief period of time I was neighbors with James Franklin who used to play for the Edmonton Eskimos. Brief because I moved in around the time the announcement was made about the trade to Toronto. I also didn't realize he was my neighbor until late-Feb/early-March.

Whenever we crossed paths he always had a smile on his face and took the time to ask how my day went. The first time we met he showed me his 2015 Grey Cup ring and suggested I wear it for a pic with him which was cool. One day I was chatting with him and as it turns out his wife had given birth to their first child just a few days earlier. He was incredibly happy about becoming a father, had a huge smile on his face. Their both very down to earth people, him and his wife even got me tickets to the game when his Argos swung by earlier this summer. The guy is also a beast. During a period of freezing cold, -40 with the windchill I believe, I saw him returning from the gym wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

He's a class act and one of the friendliest people I've had the pleasure of meeting. It's too bad he didn't get much of a chance to play in Edmonton. Always was a fan of him.

Don't be surprised if some day he is back in an Eskie uniform.

Reactions: The Batman

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Comrie was probably just tired and cranky from some of those multi-party encounters he had the evening before. As for Gator well he got his nick name from somewhere. I guess Dwayne got his rep somewhere too.

Smith really likes the Florida Gators

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not an Oilers memory, but...

I was at the Olympics in Nagano carousing with some buddies and we all had team Canada jerseys on. Ran into a few hockey players on the street. Had a pleasant chat with Al MacInnis which he had to cut short because Theo was hammered, wandered off and needed babysitting.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To the OP. You might want to use a different term in the title rather than "run - in, as it means an altercation, implying a meeting that is less than amicable.

Reactions: shoop

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
I was sitting in the same section as a Steve Staios appreciation event during an intermission. My gf still raves about it because that's the only hockey player she remembers besides "Ryan Nugget-Hopkins" and McDavid.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I met Taylor Hall at a bar/restaurant in Kingston. He was nice, signed an autograph for my little kid. However, I’ve heard all the not so flattering stories about Hall.

Reactions: shoop and RegDunlop

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I kinda weird that even though I've been watching the Oilers since '79, I've almost never seen any of the players our management in person other than watching a number of their practices they used to do at WEM back in the late 80's, not long after the Gretzky sale. Gelinas and Normand Lacombe seemed like buddies, they hung out a fair bit as I recall.

One funny moment I do remember from one of those practices was something had happened between Lowe and Buchberger that must've gotten Lowe riled up, because later on in practice Lowe came up behind Buchberger and "accidentally" took his feet out, laying out Bucky flat on his back at center ice. When Bucky looked up at him with a WTF look on his face, Lowe just put his hands up in the air with an exaggerated "OOPS SORRY"...Buchberger didn't say anything, just gave him one of those 'yeah OK I get it' smirks and continued on with whatever drill they were doing.

The only time I ever talked to an Oiler in person was Lowe when he was the keynote speaker for a "Men of Integrity" conference in Stoney Plain, back in his early days as Oilers GM. Not even kidding.

The only Oiler I ever saw in a club setting was Messier in Goose Loonies, when my roomate took me out clubbing for my 18th birthday. Some girl was chatting him up excitedly while Mess was staring at her chest the whole time, sipping his drink lol.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Not an oiler but a few years back I got to meet the Hurricanes in Calgary.

Some guys like Skinner tried to duck out of there really quickly, but I'll never forget Cam Ward and Eric Staal who were absolute pros. They stopped and took pictures with every kid who wanted one, signed everything, and Eric even shouted at his team to get back there and take some photos with the kids. Eventually had to go because equipment guys were yelling that the bus was going to leave, but absolute pros through and through.

I'll always root for those guys because of that.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I worked at a few night clubs from 2005 to 2016 that many Oilers used to go to. I have to many stories that shouldn't be shared on here. The nicest players were Laraque, Gagner and Yakupov. The biggest *******s were Hall, Schultz and Lupul.

I've always heard hall was bad in clubs. What does that mean exactly? I've never been a club goer. How is one a dick in a club as opposed to a grocery store for example?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I know Dave Hunter personally very well. Always has treated me very good. Went to lots of games with him in a box, our meeting place was at the old hotel across from Rexall.

Great guy old Dave, instead of wearing 3 cup rings, he usually wears his custom made one, that has all 3 dates on it. He let me try it on.

He used to be always at a rink somewhere in Calgary to, ran into him all the time there, macs tournaments, world junior try outs, flames games, etc.

My personal favorite memory with Dave was running into him at the World junior try outs in Calgary by fluke, as we were walking the concourse talking, we go by the TSN desk set up, and Bob McKenzie hoped out of his chair, came over and shook his hand, and Dave introduced me, and we went to the desk and got introduced to Pierre Mcguire, and Gord Miller, stayed there the whole period talking hockey.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
To the OP. You might want to use a different term in the title rather than "run - in, as it means an altercation, implying a meeting that is less than amicable.
No it does not it is how you take it and really I don't recall having to go to school for 16 years to post on hf board

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Remembered a few more, Gelinas used to do the skating treadmill at the U of A during the off season, and once my brother and I got paired up with him which was pretty cool. Spoke to him a bit in french. Also Norm Lacombe is a great guy, let us try on his cup ring when we met him.

scfronty

Jan 4, 2009
I met Andrew Ference at a Teenage Bottlerocket show (or maybe the smalls, kinda fuzzy) at the Starlite room. Talked music with him for a few minutes outside. The guy is a punk rock encyclopedia.

I also rented a cabin a few years back in Jasper. The guy at the main lodge told me an Oiler just left the cabin I was getting. I walked into the cabin and it smelled like farts. Found out when I checked out that it was Zack Stortini.

Last edited:
Reactions: McJesusSaves97

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
don't have many details I feel like sharing but I'd say the nicest Oilers/former oilers I ever had interactions with were Craig Simpson, Dave Semenko, Craig MacTavish.

decent people, the three of them.

Mr.Simpson is pure class, I met him last year and he was just great. Awesome guy.

Optreeter

Mar 15, 2009
Tldr: My mom asked Connor Mcdavid to do her a favor and he followed through.
I still cringe a bit thinking about it. My mother learned you can hail down some players leaving practices in their vehicals. It is usually done by autograph hounds and the like. My mother wanted to give them some rings she designed and to ask Connor to sign a card for her. She also brought an old ghostbuster state puft toy for Cam Talbot since she learned he was a Ghostbusters fan. Cam did not stop for us but Connor did, he was one of the last guys to leave. My mother then for some insane reason asked Connor to give Talbot the state puft man toy. Connor looked confused and my mother informed him of Talbot interest in Ghostbusters. Connor seemed somewhat unfamiliar with ghostbusters or was just in general uncomfortable with the situation. He agreed to, with little reluctance.

At that point I decided I was going to hide and cringe in the car. A few months later, the day of the last game of the season, my mother went again because she missed guys like Nuge Talbot draisaitl and Lucic. I was there and Cam stopped this time. My mother asked him if he got the state puft and he said actually yes a few months ago. For some reason I was surprised Connor actually followed through instead of just finding the nearest garbage can Haha. I was glad, he gave me and a mom a good story to tell. She thinks very highly of them so I was glad they lived up to her expectation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad