Whats your favorite run in with an oiler...

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
So he really was a locker room cancer then? :sarcasm: ;)

Not the same poster, but I have a lot of friends who've worked in the service industry in bars and clubs that Oilers frequented, and every single one of them basically echoes the sentiment that a certain former Oiler was an absolute menace once he got a few drinks in him... not to derail the thread, but I have never heard these stories to anything near the same extent about any other players on the team during that time (apparently Smid is an awful kisser for HOT GOSSIP :dunno:).

For my own meeting a player experiences, Ference looks a lot shorter in real life than I expected, whereas Talbot actually looks much taller. Both of them seem like nice guys, Talbot is quiet and gives off the "consummate professional" vibe, Ference is super friendly.

MacT was surprisingly cool about a bunch of drunk dudes yelling "EY IT'S MACT" when he was getting into his car the one time I ran into him.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
No “stories” but I went to elementary with one of Mac-Ts sons and Buckys daughter.

Lived next to Laraque for a bit in Junior High.

A couple oilers shipped at the petsmart I used to work at. Ference, Macintyre and Arcobello. Smyth was in one day I was off, which is good because my friend was in and while he’s a good dude he has aspergers and unintentionally had a pretty awkward conversation with Smyth. It’s hilarious now but man I wouldn’t have been pleased if I was there.

My 2nd cousin is Jason Smith. I think we met once, he was drafted 2 weeks after I was born and I’ve got a picture of baby me and him at some sort of family event.

Pretty much the only real story is I went to the Hall draft party at rexall and Tom Renny called me big guy, to be fair I was pretty fat then

Reactions: RegDunlop

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
True story, I used to give Nuge blockbuster video game rental coupons all the time. Kid loved his games. I called him the Nuge before he even played junior.

My favourite thing about him was how he wasn’t a Canuck fan even though he grew up in Vancouver. I think he liked the Avs the best.

Reactions: McLarsonator

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I have met a few of the Oilers over the years around the Westin Hotel in Calgary (I used to work in the office tower across the street) but I laughed at the following story:

My daughter has since graduated from the U of A but she told me that one night she walked into a bar on Whyte Avenue with some friends and she said some guy walked up to her out of the blue and started chatting with her. She said she was a bit uncomfortable and not the least bit interested in him but noted that he had huge lips like Mick Jagger (her Dad being a big Stones fan.) Anyway, the guy wandered off in a few minutes and when he did one of the other girls walked over and said, "Well you might not have been impressed by him but he's got a lot of money." "Who was he" asked my daughter (not being interested in pro sports at all) and a few of the guys around her said it was Taylor Hall. Then she sent me a photo the guys took that night and sure enough it was Taylor standing beside her. Of course, its an innocent story. I used to chat the girls up on Whyte Avenue as well although my net worth back then was about 5 bucks (I'm up to 10 now) a lot less than Taylor.

Now in the working world (and married this summer) my kid told me that she didn't feel like working for another 40 years to earn retirement. I teased her a bit and said that if she felt that way then it would have been wise to give Taylor her phone number.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
I got great one. this happened in the early 2000's..

Me and my brother went to see a weekday matinee movie in the downtown city centre theatre., which at that time was an absolute deadzone. We were buying our tickets and spied Ethan Moreau, Boyd Devereaux and the third guy we think was Christian Laflamme also buying tickets. We noticed them and mentioned them to each other but paid little attention overall. Not exactly the superstars of the league or anything at that time.. Moreau and Laflamme were freshly traded to the Oilers I think.. Anyways we had a beer in the Elephant and Castle and wasted 30 mins before we made our way into a totally empty theatre to watch our movie. We are the only two guys sitting in this theatre when in walks the three amigos, who sit down just in front of us and proceed to pull out 12" subway sandwiches that they smuggled into the theatre. My brother, who is a die hard Canucks fan just happened to be wearing an Canucks T-shirt at the time laughs and we chat a bit then he tells me he will be right back, and stay here. My brother goes back into the concourse / concession area; finds some young girl who works there and walks her back into the theatre and right down the row where the three Oilers are eating there contraband sandwiches and proudly points it out to the young girl, all while proudly wearing his canucks t-shirt. The three Oilers at first are probably in shock, and don't really say much but then burst into laughter as they are walking up the isle with there sandwiches... lol. They appear 5 minutes later while the trailers are playing and all three high fived my brother and told him that was a good one ect...

Good times... lol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Jason Bonsignore as a Bolt was quite funny. Asked him for his autograph and he gave me the "you know who I am look"

As a kid I saw Bucky damn near every year with some combo of Lamb, Lowe,Simpson or MacT, probably others just don't remember. Not that it was anything memorable, but Bucky always had a shiner. Was usually the off-season which in hindsight makes it even funnier.

As mentioned yesterday as an adult meeting Louie and Macintyre was pretty good. Was a different element, they were at grand opening of cabelas meeting people and talking about something they were very passionate about.
This post made me laugh.

In the late eighties I used to frequently run into Buchberger at the Mohawk across the street from Rexall. He wasn’t the most handsome guy in the world to begin but he was downright scary looking with a shiner. I don’t think I ever saw him without one.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Common story for those of us lucky to grow up in Blue Quill.

While Grant Fuhr was serving his coke suspension, we found out he lived in those ultra ghetto Blue Quill estates next to Sweet Grass Elementary School.

My buddy kept insisting Fuhr lived there, but we refused to believe it. Peaked in through his window to see SOO much hockey paraphanelia. Also saw he had mail to G Fuhr.

So I said I'm gonna ask him to play street hockey with us.

I muster up the courage to ring his doorbell... sure enough Grant Fuhr opens the door and I'm nearly crapping my pants and ask him. "Hello mr.Fuhr, will you play street hockey with us"?

He smiles and says "sure".

About 7 other kids jump out of hiding screaming HE'S ON MY TEAM!!!

(We had one net, and he played defense for both teams).

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Best Oiler I ever met was Floyd Whitney, although I've never been laughed at so hard when I asked someone for an autograph. Steve Mcintyre had ridiculous sized hands, I can't imagine how someone could take a punch from those, i swear when he shook my hand, he grabbed my whole hand and wrist and half my forearm, super friendly though. Theo Peckham was pretty funny the one night I met him, he was sending drinks to people around the bar and telling the bartender to say they were from someone else. "This cement mixer goes to that guy, from that girl over there. This sex-on-the-beach goes to that guy there from that huge guy in the cowboy hat. etc etc".

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Saw Sheldon Souray standing alone in a night club in Edmonton. After a while went over and talked to him. He was super nice, shook my hand, took a shot with me. I was a slightly awkward 18 year old at the time, it was one of my first times in a club, but he was super nice. Raffi Torres was also there and he was nice as well, actually went up to me and introduced himself.

Also once on St. Patty's 2/3rds of the team was at the Pint I think on whyte. Got to meet most the players. Nuge, Ryan Whitney, and Hemsky were the nicest to chat with. Whitney kinda got a bad wrap sometimes but he was happy to talk with me for like 20 minutes, mostly about baseball.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Kind of a funny and embarrassing story. I forget the year but it was the season the Oilers beat Colorado in the first round. I think that was 1998. My brother and I had to take our mother to the U of A hospital for some tests. We were there for a few hours so we were walking around a lot to kill time. We kept running into Dean MacAmmond in different places. He was there visiting his girlfriend who was a nurse there. After about the third or fourth time I told my brother that the poor guy probably thinks we’re stalking him. Neither one of us is star struck and had no interest in bothering him or talking to him but he noticed us too and looked uncomfortable. As we were leaving we saw him again on his way out. This time he was alone and actually came up to us to say hello. We wished him good luck in the game the next day and that was the end of it.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
let's hear them .sorry I should have posted all sports stars

Not who you were replying to, but it looks like I can contribute to this thread!

I haven't had a chance to meet an Oiler yet but for a brief period of time I was neighbors with James Franklin who used to play for the Edmonton Eskimos. Brief because I moved in around the time the announcement was made about the trade to Toronto. I also didn't realize he was my neighbor until late-Feb/early-March.

Whenever we crossed paths he always had a smile on his face and took the time to ask how my day went. The first time we met he showed me his 2015 Grey Cup ring and suggested I wear it for a pic with him which was cool. One day I was chatting with him and as it turns out his wife had given birth to their first child just a few days earlier. He was incredibly happy about becoming a father, had a huge smile on his face. Their both very down to earth people, him and his wife even got me tickets to the game when his Argos swung by earlier this summer. The guy is also a beast. During a period of freezing cold, -40 with the windchill I believe, I saw him returning from the gym wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

He's a class act and one of the friendliest people I've had the pleasure of meeting. It's too bad he didn't get much of a chance to play in Edmonton. Always was a fan of him.

Reactions: RegDunlop

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Best Oiler I ever met was Floyd Whitney, although I've never been laughed at so hard when I asked someone for an autograph. Steve Mcintyre had ridiculous sized hands, I can't imagine how someone could take a punch from those, i swear when he shook my hand, he grabbed my whole hand and wrist and half my forearm, super friendly though. Theo Peckham was pretty funny the one night I met him, he was sending drinks to people around the bar and telling the bartender to say they were from someone else. "This cement mixer goes to that guy, from that girl over there. This sex-on-the-beach goes to that guy there from that huge guy in the cowboy hat. etc etc".
Strikes me as a guy that would throw bails around the farm. And not those little square ones

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I've talked about it before and I'm not even sure that it's something the Oilers need to do, but the Eskimos really need to do.

Get that carnival of champions back up and running. As a kid that was on of the most exciting days of the year. I'd even have it ahead of x-mas.

I think the Oilers are fine, but couldn't the Eskimos benefit from a festival that allows fans access to the majority of players? Can't remember if they had games with the football players, but they did have a game where you could shoot on Ranford. Sure kids would love to throw or catch a ball with Reilly

Just make sure Dave Manson isn't there. That voice gave me nightmares.

Edmoiler13

Feb 21, 2014
Detroit
This is a great thread. Being a fan in Detroit I’ve waited at hotels countless times over the years so I’ve had some good and bad ones.

The good:
Steve Staios- had a jersey of his and he was shocked like he never saw his own jersey before outside of Edmonton. He signed it and took a picture with me. A few months go by and I see him in Columbus and he remembered me before I pulled out the picture and called me his Detroit fan and signed the picture when I pulled it out.

Chris Pronger blew off most of the dealers and hopped on the bus but then came out and signed my team signed jersey and got back on the bus. Another time in Columbus he got off his cell phone and told me to walk with him and he signed everything I had for him. Still don’t like what he did in leaving the Oilers but he was always nice to me.

MacT just finished a jog and signed everything anyone had for him.

Jan Hejda- asked for one of my photos to be mailed to him. I of course obliged and he sent me back ten other things

Dustin Penner- after writing him an encouragement letter during his struggles he sent me back a stash of photos including a signed picture of him with the cup chugging champagne.

Raffi Torres- always signed autographs and my girlfriend at the time had a crush on him so he signed her jerseys beautifully and took pictures.

The few guys I never had a good interaction with were Tommy Salo, Jason Smith, Mike Comrie, Dwayne Roloson

noice

Born in YEG Oiler fan in YYC :/
Feb 12, 2007
Calgary, AB
mcdavid.jpg
Not me but my mom's cousin and his wife took this pic at the airport he he

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
I was returning from vacation one February and my home town was hosting Hockey Day In Canada or whatever it's called. The missus and I were dead tired, cranky, and just wanted to get home. On our third and final flight Marty McSorley was the final passenger on our barely full plane. He was wearing Oilers sweat pants ( they even could have been pajamas, because I have a pair just like it) and had what looked like a little kids Oiler backpack that looked like something off the shelf at Walmart. We exchanged nods when he got on the plane.

I turned to my wife and said "That's Marty McSorley" she replies, "who?" and i finished with "exactly".

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
^ ^ Haha reminds me. I met Ryan Smyth the day I moved to LA (2005 lockout).

We were layed over in Salt Lake City
A few of us talked hockey with him for over an hour.

He was a HUGE Oiler fan growing up. We were swapping our favorite 80's stories.

I Totally forgot for some reason. Really down to earth guy.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Glen Anderson is a giant pile of ****.
I recall one time at wem when Anderson was asked by a kid no older than 6 or 7 for an autograph and Anderson had told him to f..off .within 10 seconds the father had pin Anderson to a wall and was ready to kick the shutout of him .needless to say Anderson was made to apologize and was called out by about 12 people around...

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Cousins used to live near Jason Smith and I remember running into Igor Ulanov there. Matt Greene also lived with him in his rookie year. Ulanov was a really nice and hilarious guy, I think I was chewing gum and he said something like I was too young to be chewing tobacco. :laugh:

I also had the chance to meet Marty Reasoner and Sheldon Souray when I was younger, both really awesome people as well. Souray even arranged for me and the family to attend a practice, get a dressing room tour, and meet all the players afterwards as well, I think this was 2007-08 or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad