Whats your favorite run in with an oiler...

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Hanging out with Joey. That guy is famous! Whether it's wandering around WEM or in downtown Toronto, he is recognized and adored by many. Also met Nurse and Jones. Both great guys to chat with.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
One of my favorite memories as a kid was meeting Sam Gagner, Kyle Brodziak, Tom Gilbert, and Zach Stortini at Oilers training camp back in 2008, when players would sit in the stands and when training camp had more of an intimate feel at the Coliseum. All four were really friendly and took the time to chat up a bit.

JF Jacques was there too, but I didn't recognize him because he was an AHL call-up. He was extra salty when I said out loud that I didn't know who he was. :lol:

Man, one of the saddest losses of the Katz Oilers declining into mediocrity (edit: total disaster) is the death of this stuff. Similar to the walkway past the fans onto the ice at Rexall. I don't blame the org in this case as the fanbase has (also understandably) become vitriolic but its still something I used to always think was so cool about the Oilers here. The org used to be so willing to just get out there and hang out with fans.

Lots of great stories in here.

My only noteworthy one is running into Hall, Whitney and Eberle at a bar downtown back around when Whitney was just returning from his ankle injuries. I didn't want to bother them but my friends really wanted a picture so I figured I'd at least introduce myself to them. Hall seemed totally uninterested in talking to us (fair, he had a couple of girls chatting him up), Whitney just seemed grumpy (also fair given the ankle) but Eberle was all class despite how awkward we were. Shook everyone's hands and talked a bit before we got our picture and left. Have to agree about them being smaller than you'd expect... But Ebs grip was iron lol. Makes sense but still surprised me a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Celleyna

Jun 4, 2009
I saw Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at a grocery store in Edmonton yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a *****e and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly

This is a blatant lie. I saw this exact same post (word for word) on a reddit page about some singer or actor. You are just a bald face liar.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Georges Laraque used to live a few blocks away from me when I was about 10. Me, my brother, and our friends were playing hockey on our driveway, when we recognized his vehicle drive by (I think it was a porsche SUV). He ended up doing a u-turn, coming back and asking if he could play with us for a while. I was the only righty there, so he borrowed my stick. Looking back on it now, it should have been pretty funny to see a 6'4 man lighting up my 12 year old friend in net, using a stick far too small for him, but we were all so star struck.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I saw Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at a grocery store in Edmonton yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a *****e and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly

This must be a bull*** story. If it is true, then that would explain why the Oilers suck.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Back trick or treating when I was a young lad, George Laraque gave out full sized chocolate bars.

When Souray was in the height of his notoriety in Edmonton, I was his cashier at a west end store. I processed him normally but gave him a wink (not normal), he smiled and winked back.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Cool 2012 meme buddy.

Reactions: Mr Tadakichi

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I worked at a few night clubs from 2005 to 2016 that many Oilers used to go to. I have to many stories that shouldn't be shared on here. The nicest players were Laraque, Gagner and Yakupov. The biggest assholes were Hall, Schultz and Lupul.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
When I moved downtown, met Steve Smith at the bar at the now long gone Burg on corner of 104 st and 102 ave. Would have been 2013, and it was September. So asked how the team was looking for that year and he said "I think we are going to be alright", almost gleefully, as if surprised. That did not bode well of course, but Steve was a great guy.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I worked at a few night clubs from 2005 to 2016 that many Oilers used to go to. I have to many stories that shouldn't be shared on here. The nicest players were Laraque, Gagner and Yakupov. The biggest *******s were Hall, Schultz and Lupul.

So he really was a locker room cancer then? :sarcasm: ;)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It's a minor story, but...

Christmastime last year. I managed to take my family into see the pre-game skate at BellMTS Place. Lots of fans there for the Jets, but when Oilers were there my family was one of just a handful. We were sitting right up against the glass. Nurse bumps into the boards, which startles the heck out of my four year old.

Nurse notices this, smiles and then sticks out his tongue at my little guy, before skating away.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Only NHLer I ever met was Jeff Deslaurier.
Worked at save on foods as a teen and he'd come by always around 10:45pm (closed at 11) and buy milk.
Super tall dude drove a brand new BMW X6, same french accent.

Probably came by like 6-7 times while I was there. The 3rd time I told him I knew who he was and I always supported him. He just wanted to take his milk and go lmao.

Reactions: RegDunlop

trilogytime

Apr 29, 2011
Wellington
I live downtown and see quite a few players and management people around at cafes/grocery stores. Once saw Kassian walking into the Loblaws and he had the same look in his eyes as he did when he ran over Dillon and Couture in the playoffs. Have also seen Talbot and Klefbom shopping there.

Also saw Nuge, JJ, Nurse, and Russell at West Ed. The first three were in suits and you could tell they were athletes. Kris just kinda looked like a guy in jeans.

Saw Chia at the Starbucks on Jasper and 117th. Made me really mad for some reason, think it's cause he only paid the normal price for his coffee instead of throwing his entire wallet behind the counter but idk.

My favourite though was seeing Patty during our good season at a Walmart with his son and like twenty other kids. Zero idea what was going on but it sort of looked like he had taken all his son's friends on a shopping spree or something, it was just not something you might expect to see. He lined up behind me and I remember saying "nice goal last night" or something close to that. Think he just laughed and said thanks. Miss that guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad