Whats your favorite run in with an oiler...

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Have you met an Oiler player/coach who had showed you nothing but respect an took the time to answer a question and not brush you off???
My run-in was with Mac-t during 2006 playoffs run. I was buying ice cream for my little one as he started to act up wanting 2 different kinds of ice cream as I bent down to tell him that I had just enough money for one scoop of ice cream Mac-t who was behind me in the line up had spoken up and offered to buy my boy two scoops . Till this day I would say that was the coolest run in with a sports player/coach

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
One of my favorite memories as a kid was meeting Sam Gagner, Kyle Brodziak, Tom Gilbert, and Zach Stortini at Oilers training camp back in 2008, when players would sit in the stands and when training camp had more of an intimate feel at the Coliseum. All four were really friendly and took the time to chat up a bit.

JF Jacques was there too, but I didn't recognize him because he was an AHL call-up. He was extra salty when I said out loud that I didn't know who he was. :lol:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Jason Bonsignore as a Bolt was quite funny. Asked him for his autograph and he gave me the "you know who I am look"

As a kid I saw Bucky damn near every year with some combo of Lamb, Lowe,Simpson or MacT, probably others just don't remember. Not that it was anything memorable, but Bucky always had a shiner. Was usually the off-season which in hindsight makes it even funnier.

As mentioned yesterday as an adult meeting Louie and Macintyre was pretty good. Was a different element, they were at grand opening of cabelas meeting people and talking about something they were very passionate about.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I saw Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at a grocery store in Edmonton yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I saw Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at a grocery store in Edmonton yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a *****e and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I saw Ryan Nugent-Hopkins at a grocery store in Edmonton yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a *****e and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

Meth is one hell of drug buddy, take it easy it’s not even 9am yet.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

What in the world?.... It's not the 17th yet

Reactions: ujju2

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Favorite in that it was funny..

Was working out at a Gym in Red Deer when RNH was playing for the Rebels. Well he and his buddy were there in the change room playing battle shits. Was quite hilarious.

Reactions: Wretched Oil

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My family and I met Mac-T before the last UofA game at the butterdome. He was very gracious and took time to really talk to us. Nail Yakupov came in to previous work to get some paperwork done. He was overall nice, wished him luck in the offseason. This was a number of years ago.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011

:D

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I met Fuhr as a kid at Fantasyland hotel and he honestly is the nicest player I have ever met (2nd was Joe Niewendyk). Saw D. Weight at a grocery store back in the day and he also was very nice.

Most memorable and ackward moment was meeting George Laracque at a club. I usually don't get star struck but I kept staring at him and when I went up to him it was just very uncomfortable for both of us. But that was totally my fault lol.

I've seen the current Oilers lots. They eat at a pasta place in downtown on game days all the time. Never had a convo with them other to say "good luck against xxx" or "good game against xxx". Drai seems very shy. McDavid kind of seems like a goof ball. Lucic is intense. Nurse is always smiling. Nuge is quiet. Talbot seems pretty centered.

The players are a lot smaller than I think people realize. They are all lean. Except Lucic. He's huge. His legs are just massive amounts of muscle. I've seen a couple Esks players at the gym and they are pretty big dudes and just seemed like athletes. Hockey players are a little different.

Reactions: Aerrol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I went to High School with Mark Messier. Had him in a couple classes including a Social studies class in which the teacher was a former Rangers Draft pick (that never made the show in 6 team NHL) Mark was friendly to me, intelligent, and discussed philosophy, economics, goals, and we had group table discussions (I was lucky enough to have him in same group) and got to know each others stances. While we were vastly different he respected others opinions. More to the point he respected opinions that fell outside of convention. To him you were being honest if you said non conformist things. He was another old soul, at age 16 was even a Dead head (some will know what that means) and he was mentally beyond his years. Very thoughtful. An intellect, unmistakeably.

One of the interesting dynamics in the class was the teacher encouraging Mark to finish his studies, go post secondary, because pro hockey is not a sure bet, and Mark not listening and signing a WHA contract as a 16yr old and leaving town. About the last I ever saw of him around school. Everybody was hoping he would go to the 10 year reunion (but he didn't graduate and I knew he wouldn't go) Its pretty amazing too, how would that even look, everybody standing around talking about what they've been doing since highshool, Mark: "Oh, I've won 4 Stanley Cups.."

I also used to work out in the same Gym with Craig Simpson, Kelly Buchberger, Shayne Corson, Kevin McLelland and other Oilers. You haven't seen someone cardio train until you saw buckys routine. The one guy that was outside of anybodies fitness regime (oh wait, Mark Messier had a freakish recovery rate as well.) Buchberger would literally sweat buckets working out on cardio elliptical machines, stair climbers or treadmills. So much so that the whole area had to be dried off with towels after.
Favorite memory in the gym is Craig Simpson being involved in an advertising filmed shot for the gym (It was owned by Pocklington) and them having to use some of the equipment and Craig going up to me and others and apologizing for the interruption in our workout that day. He was so nice, so graceful. Not just that time, but always. Corson was a solid guy too that got a bad rap here. The only one that was easy to dislike was McLelland.

Met Fogolin lots at a neighborhood gas/convenience store. Nicest guy. Would just talk to anybody,

Saw MacT at Bocolinos with his spouse I was with my wife. Very quiet Sunday but we just looked over, waved, said nothing. We were about the only ones of a few tables that were even in the restaurant that night. We left them undisturbed as they were having a moment.

Met Glenn Anderson lots but will not mention that part.

I have a Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, K Lowe story as well for another time.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I went to High School with Mark Messier. Had him in a couple classes including a Social studies class in which the teacher was a former Rangers Draft pick (that never made the show in 6 team NHL) Mark was friendly to me, intelligent, and discussed philosophy, economics, goals, and we had group table discussions (I was lucky enough to have him in same group) and got to know each others stances. While we were vastly different he respected others opinions. More to the point he respected opinions that fell outside of convention. To him you were being honest if you said non conformist things. He was another old soul, at age 16 was even a Dead head (some will know what that means) and he was mentally beyond his years. Very thoughtful. An intellect, unmistakeably.

One of the interesting dynamics in the class was the teacher encouraging Mark to finish his studies, go post secondary, because pro hockey is not a sure bet, and Mark not listening and signing a WHA contract as a 16yr old and leaving town. About the last I ever saw of him around school. Everybody was hoping he would go to the 10 year reunion (but he didn't graduate and I knew he wouldn't go) Its pretty amazing too, how would that even look, everybody standing around talking about what they've been doing since highshool, Mark: "Oh, I've won 4 Stanley Cups.."

I also used to work out in the same Gym with Craig Simpson, Kelly Buchberger, Shayne Corson, Kevin McLelland and other Oilers. You haven't seen someone cardio train until you saw buckys routine. The one guy that was outside of anybodies fitness regime (oh wait, Mark Messier had a freakish recovery rate as well.) Buchberger would literally sweat buckets working out on cardio elliptical machines, stair climbers or treadmills. So much so that the whole area had to be dried off with towels after.
Favorite memory in the gym is Craig Simpson being involved in an advertising filmed shot for the gym (It was owned by Pocklington) and them having to use some of the equipment and Craig going up to me and others and apologizing for the interruption in our workout that day. He was so nice, so graceful. Not just that time, but always. Corson was a solid guy too that got a bad rap here. The only one that was easy to dislike was McLelland.

Met Fogolin lots at a neighborhood gas/convenience store. Nicest guy. Would just talk to anybody,

Saw MacT at Bocolinos with his spouse I was with my wife. Very quiet Sunday but we just looked over, waved, said nothing. We were about the only ones of a few tables that were even in the restaurant that night.

Met Glenn Anderson lots but will not mention that part.

I have a Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, K Lowe story as well for another time.
damn you're old

LJellySlam

Dec 30, 2017
Ran into Drai and his mom Christmas Eve the year the oilers were good at save on foods on 109 st down town. We made awkward eye contact and both went our separate ways. It was glorious.

Reactions: Del Preston

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I met Fuhr as a kid at Fantasyland hotel and he honestly is the nicest player I have ever met (2nd was Joe Niewendyk). Saw D. Weight at a grocery store back in the day and he also was very nice.

Most memorable and ackward moment was meeting George Laracque at a club. I usually don't get star struck but I kept staring at him and when I went up to him it was just very uncomfortable for both of us. But that was totally my fault lol.

I've seen the current Oilers lots. They eat at a pasta place in downtown on game days all the time. Never had a convo with them other to say "good luck against xxx" or "good game against xxx". Drai seems very shy. McDavid kind of seems like a goof ball. Lucic is intense. Nurse is always smiling. Nuge is quiet. Talbot seems pretty centered.

The players are a lot smaller than I think people realize. They are all lean. Except Lucic. He's huge. His legs are just massive amounts of muscle. I've seen a couple Esks players at the gym and they are pretty big dudes and just seemed like athletes. Hockey players are a little different.
Laraque was good for signing autographs. You'd email him and he'd send you a signed photo.

Reactions: Mcjlockhart89

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My coolest story was that one of my teachers a long time ago was Randy Gregg's wife.
I never met him though.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
don't have many details I feel like sharing but I'd say the nicest Oilers/former oilers I ever had interactions with were Craig Simpson, Dave Semenko, Craig MacTavish.

decent people, the three of them.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
don't have many details I feel like sharing but I'd say the nicest Oilers/former oilers I ever had interactions with were Craig Simpson, Dave Semenko, Craig MacTavish.

decent people, the three of them.

So many to mention. Sammy was so down to earth. he must have even lived in Mill Woods because I saw him at so many places here. He had a particular fondness for takeout. he probably wasn't much of a cook so you'd see him at Tintin Chinese restaurant, Subways, etc just lined up shooting the shit. Of course with Sammy towering it was impossible not to notice him as he was head and shoulders above everybody else, but not in attitude. Had a smile for everybody and I loved that grin. The man knew he had a good life. RIP Semenko.

I haven't mentioned all the WEM Oilers stories and recollections either. Oiler citings almost any time you walked in the Mall. Mess's sister used to even have a boutique shop in the Mall that I think he helped her to finance. She was into arts and crafts and marketing and they made Blue Jeans items with lots of of other fabrics stitched in. It was eclectic and expensive stuff but if somebody in town was wearing one you knew where it came from. Mary Kay is her name. She's continued to do well in business. Has to be tough though to be a female and have a rugged face that looks like a photoshop of Mark Messiers face photoshopped on a women. She always looked like that. Somebody that never knew her, never knew of her, could spot her in an Arizona lineup and say. "Hey, you must be Mark Messier's sister"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->