What's your Carlson walk away number?

At what AAV do you let Carlson walk?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
The discussion around Carlson has become pretty heated even though I think 99% of people want Carlson back as long as the number is reasonable. So with that in mind, here's a poll. Assuming he gets 8 years, at what number do you let him walk?

We are also gonna assume GMBM is gonna stick with his guns and not give an NMC or a full NTC, just a 10-15 team no trade list.

Personally I think his on ice performance is only worth 7.50M but I would be willing to offer up to 8.50M before cutting bait.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
According to cap friendly, the projected cap hit for the Washington Capitals is currently $63,784,295. We still do not know what the cap increase will be (anyone know when this will be announced?). But hypothetically we'll go with a 5 mil cap increase from the current 75 million to 80 million. That means the Capitals will have a little over 16 million to address the following:
UFAs - Carlson, Kempny, Beagle, Jerabek and Chiasson
RFAs - Wilson, DSP, Grubauer, Boyd, Bowey

I'm taking Chiasson out of the picture, as I highly doubt that he'll return making way for one of the young guys. Also won't include Grubauer in this exercise as I believe he'll be traded.
- Carlson = 8 million
- Kempny = 3 million
- Wilson = 4 million

This is where it gets interesting as you have about 1 million remaining for folks like Beagle, Jerabek, DSP, Boyd, Bowey.

• Trading Burakovsky and his 3 million for picks would help with the resigning of a DSP but perhaps not a Beagle or vice versa, along with resigning Boyd and Bowey and perhaps Jerabek.

Reactions: RandyHolt

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
According to cap friendly, the projected cap hit for the Washington Capitals is currently $63,784,295. We still do not know what the cap increase will be (anyone know when this will be announced?). But hypothetically we'll go with a 5 mil cap increase from the current 75 million to 80 million. That means the Capitals will have a little over 16 million to address the following:
UFAs - Carlson, Kempny, Beagle, Jerabek and Chiasson
RFAs - Wilson, DSP, Grubauer, Boyd, Bowey

I'm taking Chiasson out of the picture, as I highly doubt that he'll return making way for one of the young guys. Also won't include Grubauer in this exercise as I believe he'll be traded.
- Carlson = 8 million
- Kempny = 3 million
- Wilson = 4 million

This is where it gets interesting as you have about 1 million remaining for folks like Beagle, Jerabek, DSP, Boyd, Bowey.

• Trading Burakovsky and his 3 million for picks would help with the resigning of a DSP but perhaps not a Beagle or vice versa, along with resigning Boyd and Bowey and perhaps Jerabek.
You think Kempny is worth 3 million in his limited number of games. Yes he played well for us in the playoffs but that was probably more a result if the system. While with the Blackhawks he was quite often a healthy scratch and he struggled quite a bit when he first got here. I don't think we have seen enough of him to value him at 3 mil.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think our top priorities should be Carlson and Wilson. Those guys will be harder to replace. Next I would try to sign Kempny and Bowey but I wouldn't break the bank for them. I'd try to sign DSP and Beagle for a bargain. If not then let them walk. I agree with trading Grubauer. I don't think he is starter material. Maybe he could start for the Islanders or Canes. Probably wouldnt sign Jerabek or Boyd. Would anyone miss them?

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
My personal walk away number is anything north of $8 per, I think the Caps might go higher ($8.5).

If Kempny is going from $900k to $3 mil.....so long, thanks for your service.

I'm trying to figure out how that happened. I think he found a really good situation for himself much the same way that DSP did but I'm thinking more along the lines of $1.25-1.5m for either. Kempney was on his way to Europe and DSP was bought out so neither was going to be in the league next season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm trying to figure out how that happened. I think he found a really good situation for himself much the same way that DSP did but I'm thinking more along the lines of $1.25-1.5m for either. Kempney was on his way to Europe and DSP was bought out so neither was going to be in the league next season.
Honestly, despite being traded around and bought out by the Devs, DSP has a track record to draw on. Kempny has this one good run playing opposite the best D man in the playoffs, arguably the RS too. I don’t think either of them gets a huge raise, but I’d think Devo has the stronger case.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn’t pay Kempny a penny over $2 per. Prefer like $1.8. If someone wants to overpay at 3 per....so long Mike.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Voted $8.5 to let him walk. I'd rather see $8 or less, but can imagine $8.25 as the highest I'd go. Although not specified as a condition, this is assuming an 8-year deal. If you're looking at the expected performance of a 35- or 36-year old JC, you're hoping to get a few $9.5 performances over the next few years, 'cause there's a slim chance he's gonna be worth anything over $7 in the latter years of that contract.

Every $100k or so for JC represents an opportunity cost. If he opts for the bigger bucks, good luck to him, unless he goes to a PA club.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
You think Kempny is worth 3 million in his limited number of games. Yes he played well for us in the playoffs but that was probably more a result if the system. While with the Blackhawks he was quite often a healthy scratch and he struggled quite a bit when he first got here. I don't think we have seen enough of him to value him at 3 mil.
If you are all focusing on what I hypothetically put for Kempny's salary then you've lost sight of the big picture. It's not about whether Kempny gets 2 or 3 million rather it's about the overall management of the roster with the current cap realities. Geeessssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Before the playoffs I’d have said 8, he was so huge now I’ll say 8.25. On one hand it’s absurd where we’re like I’m happy with this number but not this number 3% more but the Caps having that extra mil to keep Oshie at 5.75 over Mojo at 4.75 plus get the picks last year was enormous, every bit helps. Plus if some team offers him 7x9M, 8x8M is still more money.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Bipolar Caps.....$1 million matters....big time.

You win! I took 1 million back from Kempny and added it to the projected surplus of 2 million dollars after signing Carlson, Kempny and Wilson which IMHO should be your priorities. Now what's your move with the remaining 2 million?

This is where it gets interesting as you have about 2 million remaining for folks like Beagle, Jerabek, DSP, Boyd, Bowey

Reactions: BobRouse

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly, despite being traded around and bought out by the Devs, DSP has a track record to draw on. Kempny has this one good run playing opposite the best D man in the playoffs, arguably the RS too. I don’t think either of them gets a huge raise, but I’d think Devo has the stronger case.

I’m still having a hard time seeing anyone dropping a shocker (RFA) contract offer on DSP. I’d let him walk with little protest myself, but a 2 year $2 mil deal seems in the ballpark to me. Only made $650k.

Wonder if they don’t just not qualify him if he’s asking for big $ early.

Feels like Beagle is taking a pay cut to stay....if at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I’m still having a hard time seeing anyone dropping a shocker (RFA) contract offer on DSP. I’d let him walk with little protest myself, but a 2 year $2 mil deal seems in the ballpark to me. Only made $650k.

That sounds right to me.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
As someone mentioned before, Wilson and Carlson are really hard to replace and will most likely cost futures if we do. Get them done and replace a beagle/Kempny/DSP if you have to. Grubs has to be moved, and I think you shop bura. If you get some good bites for bura pull the trigger, if not keep him and replace simebody else. The other big linchpin is the NHLPA deciding on the cap. That should be soon and will have a big impact on what we do

Reactions: calicapsfan

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com

He does no special teams, so he is really a 5/6 paired with 74. IMO, 1.5 should be plenty.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

For me, DSP hinges on how ready AJF/Gersich are to play in the NHL. I wouldn't have many qualms making the season an 82-game training session for a AJF - Stephenson - Gersich line. Might be fun. If they're ready to play, trade DSP's rights.

Need to get Hershey squared away, too. I might feel better about developing our emerging prospects there if they had a coach.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That’s a lot of young guys, who are also small, but both are super intriguing, I definitely get that.

Have a hard time seeing two of Gersich and AJF making the big club immediately.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Good thread. Shows that the most ardent Carlson supporters and the most despicable Carlson haters are basically within 1M of each other, lol. Peace and harmony, so much so it's almost boring. With one outlier who'd walk away at 7.5M per. We must find this person and gang up on them immediately, because this opinion threatens our values and way of life as Caps fans! To think of paying Carlson a penny less than 8M is a disgrace, a travesty of justice, a most vile betrayal of our sacred devotion to right-handed unicorns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->