whats your best guess on a drop dead date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Hollywood

Feb 1, 2004
I don't know if there will be a drop dead date. I heard if the League Cancels the season it doesn't have a chance at declaring impasse? I don't know for sure that is what I heard.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Son of Steinbrenner said:
i say feb 1st
as far as the owners are concenred, the drop dead date was Oct 13 / 2004v ( the day the season was supposed to start).

they never intended for a season of hockey to be played.

a shame.

dr

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that it was when the League cancelled that January 14, 2005 meeting sometime in the first week of January. As I see it that was when they had basically given up on the NHLPA accepting any form of Cap in time to save the season and knew that once this season was lost the pressure would bne strong on the players to return. They will not risk losing another year of their careers over this. The League just will not tell us about it officially Until they basically have to, first week of February.

The players have played their hand very badly in this, as desperation hits next season, and no break is seen in the owner's resolve, they will end up with a worse deal than if they had given in last month. But that is what can happen when you play poker and bluff. Sometimes they call you on it.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
DR said:
as far as the owners are concenred, the drop dead date was Oct 13 / 2004v ( the day the season was supposed to start).

a shame.

dr

Then of course there is this:

According to a report in the Toronto Sun, NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow has advised players not to count on NHL hockey this season or next.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bettman and Goodenow have dropped the ball on the fifty yard line here, and neither one wants to bend over and pick it up...no need for a drop dead date, just a need for both of these guys to drop dead...

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The drop dead date occurred between 3-5 years ago when Goodenow refused numerous invitations from Bettman and Daley to negotiate the next CBA.

Seriously though, the season is over. Even if Goodenow were to capitulate which his stubborn pride would never allow him to do, it would take weeks to iron out the details of a new agreement. THE SEASON IS OVER and Goodenow has just acknowledged an IMPASSE by encouraging his players to take on new employment elsewhere.

NYIsles1*

This is much different than a decade ago. Media experts using the same parameters were asleep at the wheel when they compared this to 1995.

Even if this were settled in the next two weeks. (which is as far as I think they can realistically go before having to cancel the season even if there is no official announcement)

How do owners get payrolls to the 38 million figure cost-certainty number when several teams are over that figure (without grandfathering) and how do teams conduct camps when a fair percentage of the league is currently all free agents and have to be signed?

A decade ago teams for the most part had a nine day camp and started playing and had set rosters. With all those things to address it seems a month or longer is needed. Even with a cap agents have to try and get the best deal for their clients and a lot of star players are unsigned.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
My guess for the drop dead date is Jan 20

I am hoping on that date maybe Bob Goodenow will drop dead, or at least get temporarily lost in the woods somewhere. Then hopefully he will be replaced by someone else that isn't so pig headed

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
DR said:

a shame.

dr
i agree - all parties are prepared to be out for two years - as said before - bettman won't do a selig -

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
grego said:
My guess for the drop dead date is Jan 20

I am hoping on that date maybe Bob Goodenow will drop dead, or at least get temporarily lost in the woods somewhere. Then hopefully he will be replaced by someone else that isn't so pig headed

Goodenow wouldn't be doing he job if he wasn't being pigheaded. Thats what he was hired for, his job is to get the best deal he can for the players.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
So when is the drop dead date Gary

Gary - I dunno , ask Bob

So Bob , when is the drop dead date

Bob -I dunno , ask Gary

my nieces and nephews get along better than these two schmucks and they are under 10 yrs of age

MacDaddy TLC*

June 1st. No NHL by June 1st and don't expect any before January 1st.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
By the phrase " drop dead date " I hope you mean the date Goodenow drops dead. Well that may be kind of harsh. Its not right to wish death on anyone. But as Stewie would say... "its not so much that I want to KILL (Goodenow), its just that... I dont want him to live...anymore" :yo:

PatrickRoy33

Feb 27, 2002
Largo, Florida
Visit site
Nobody forced the owners to overpay these players, they knew what they were getting into as soon as they shelled out the cash.

As sure as some people blame the players and Goodenow, it's simply a mirror image of the owners and Bettman.

Gary should have been worrying more about hockey tradition, not how many ways he can change the game to attempt to make it "easier" for the "slower" sports fan....

When Bettman learns what hockey REALLY is all about, then MAYBE the NHL will have a chance, til then, he'll do everything in his power to make it the NBL....

Finally, if Bettman and Gooenow were in a car going off a cliff....I'd only hope for one thing....er....two things, ONE, it was a really high cliff, I don't want to take any chances, and TWO, make sure all the uselESPN execs and hockey reps are in the backseat and the trunk....

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I still think they'll somehow have some type of season. I can't sit here and think that both sides would be the first to cancel an entire professional season. Especially this sport. There's no way it could survive that.

But then you think about the money involved, and somehow you think they could cancel the entire season.

As for a drop dead date, I'd say they have something like another week, give or take a few days. But since they don't have an actual date, time will just slip right by. Half the players are in Europe or Russia making money. The players that are still here are mostly the high paid players that never have to work for the rest of their lives, the guys that have a year or two left in their careers, and the younger players in the AHL. The owners don't seem like they're worried. The media could care less. If the networks could even have a say, they'd say stay away. They get better ratings for...well, basically anything. Casual fans are finding other ways to spend their money. And the diehard fans are disgusted by both sides.

It was supposed to be a game.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
PatrickRoy33 said:
Nobody forced the owners to overpay these players, they knew what they were getting into as soon as they shelled out the cash

Actually, you're wrong. Arbitrators force owners to overpay players all the time. Since there are limited walk away rights, by definition, many contracts *have* been forced.

There will be no drop dead date. I don't even think technically the season will ever be cancelled. The days will just roll on by, and soon we'll find ourselves in September...

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Exactly arbitration, is one of the biggest culprits forcing salaries to rise. Especially when teams fear losing a player because the know their cost will rise to much.

For examples you can find numberous situations with Edmonton. Sometimes the Oilers signed the player or let them go. Often they started to trade the player earlier. Ex Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Jani Ninnima, Anson Carter.

Choosing a bad deal, and hoping for luck in the development of a young player to getting a complete loss.

If teams only had to worry about a 10% rise in salary even the Oilers could care less.

It is that one team idiotically signs a player to a high price, and suddenly in arbitration that becomes a standard for all players.

Look at how the Oilers a day or 2 after I think that was JR got a big contract, went and traded Doug Weight away, saying they felt that arbitration would give Doug Weight too expensive of a contract.

Brent Burns Beard