What's your 2022 Olympic Squad Look Like With NHLers?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Same story as it has been for a long time, with one new wrinkle in Russia's favour. Russia has an excellent top 6, poor forward depth, and a poor defence, except now Russia has elite goaltending. Of course Russia could win, though Canada would be the favourite.

Reactions: Bear12Good

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Same story as it has been for a long time, with one new wrinkle in Russia's favour. Russia has an excellent top 6, poor forward depth, and a poor defence, except now Russia has elite goaltending. Of course Russia could win, though Canada would be the favourite.
"poor defence" Russian Defs line better than 4 years ago

+ Russia have good very young players like Romanov,Zamula, Chayka,Zub

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Propaganda tends to do that.

It's not because of propaganda.
Hockey in Russia is similar to USA, popularity is very regional; the only difference is non-fans tend to watch the national team.

So yea, when a good portion of the population (not well-versed in the sport) watches Russia beat Canada in the World Championships or wherever they just assume we're better at hockey than Canada.
I mean most people couldn't tell you the difference between Connor McDavid and, say, a Cal Clutterbuck.

Last edited:

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
It's not because of propaganda.
Hockey in Russia is similar to USA, popularity is very regional; the only difference being non-fans tend to watch the national team.

So yea, when people not well-versed in the sport (majority of population) watches us beat Canada in the World Championships or wherever they just assume we're better at hockey than Canada.
TOTALLY TRUE)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He can't move the puck, he has a terrible hockey IQ, his positioning is hit or miss, he has no offense in his game. He skates well, he's physical and can occasionally make some nice defensive plays. I think eventually he can be a bottom pairing defenseman, but not yet.
You literally just described 99% of the D we've created in the last decade.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Yea, Anisimov is done. I think Mikheyev's 2-way game could be valuable. He'd need to play the off-wing though.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Panarin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kucherov
Mikheyev - Barbashyov - Radulov
Dadonov

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yea, Anisimov is done. I think Mikheyev's 2-way game could be valuable. He'd need to play the off-wing though.

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Svechnikov
Panarin - Malkin - Tarasenko
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kucherov
Mikheyev - Barbashyov - Radulov
Dadonov

Grigorenko?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With LeBrun reporting that the IOC is now willing to cover insurance costs, I am optimistic again for the 2022 tournament featuring NHLers. Canada's team looks a bit weaker than it was throughout the last decade and several countries look stronger, so if NHLers are there it could be a very tight tournament.

Reactions: Bear12Good

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Latvia

Balcers - Blueger - Indrasis
Darzins - Abols - Daugavins
Bukarts - Smirnovs - Egle
Karsums - Girgensons - Kenins
Tralmaks, Jevpalovs

Rubins - Balinskis
Cukste - Freibergs
Jaks - Kulda
Cibulskis

Merzlikins
Kalnins
Punnenovs

Hopefully 7-8 NHLers by 2022

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Brad Marchand-Sidney Crosby-Mitch Marner
Steven Stamkos-Connor McDavid-Brayden Point
Jonathan Tavares-Mark Scheifele-Mark Stone
Jonathan Huberdeau-Ryan O'Reilly-Patrice Bergeron
Sean Couturier -Mathew Barzal

Alex Pieterangelo-Drew Doughty
Cale Makar-Brent Burns
Dougie Hamilton-Kris Letang
Thomas Chabot

Peter Matychuk

Feb 16, 2020
Huberdeau - Mcdavid - Barzal
MacKinnon - Crosby - Marchand
Taveres- Stamkos - marner
Scheifele - Oreily - Stone
Couturier - Point

Pietrangelo - Parayko
Rielly - Doughty
Chabot - Makar
Ekblad - Burns

Binnington
Price
Hart

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
These are always fun lists to create. There are a lot of question marks in Team Finland. All the skaters will be 90' or 00' born so the team will be young and many of the youngest ones are yet to be proven their potential.

Right now i'd go with something like this:

Mikko-Barkov-Granny
TT-Aho-Laine
Donskoi-Hintz-Kakko
Kapanen-Haula-Armia
Kotkaniemi

Heiskanen-Ristolainen
Lindell-Vatman
Määttä-Jokiharju
Heinola
Välimäki
Niku

Rask
Raanta/Korpisalo/Koskinen/Saros (Who ever being the hottest)

PP1
Rantanen-Barkov-Granlund-Laine
Heiskanen

PP2
TT-Aho-Kakko-Hintz
Ristolainen

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I really, really, really hope that we see NHL players in 2022 Olympics. It has been too long since the last time.

My Finnish roster is pretty much like everyone else's but I try to spread the talent a bit.

Donskoi-Barkov-Laine
Teräväinen-Aho-Rantanen
Kakko-Hintz-Granlund
Kapanen-Haula-Armia
Lehkonen/Kotkaniemi

Lindell-Ristolainen
Heiskanen-Jokiharju
Määttä-Vatanen
Välimäki

Rask
Koskinen
Raanta

Barkov, Aho, Laine, Teräväinen and Rantanen are stars but after them is a drop in talent. I put Donskoi on the top line to bring speed and he is a good complimentary player who can score with more talented players. Barkov and Laine are buddies and should play together as should Teräväinen and Aho. I like putting Rantanen with the Carolina duo and I think this line would play the most on even strength. I am not sure if that 3rd line would work and we have to see how Kakko continues to develop but I like Hintz-Kakko as an idea, both big bodies and they have scoring and playmaking abilities while Granlund does as well and he can be "the adult" on that line and cover for them. 4th line I like as it has a bit of everything but none of those guys are stars yet they would be annoying to play against.

The defence was quite easy to make, I think Jokiharju is going to be terrific and should be capable for top 4 duties. He can play smart together with Heiskanen and Lindell will cover Ristolainen. Bottom pairing currently has the JYP boys but it could be different depending on how players continue to develop. There are a bunch of Finnish defensemen who are about to break through (Niku, Välimäki, Heinola, Mikkola, Vaakanainen) and they could be competing for a spot in this team.

Rask currently is the top goalie for Finland but obviously the situation could be different in 2022 if he goes down like Rinne. The goalie spots will be filled by the hottest goalies but Finns need to get younger goalies into the league and fast.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
Tatar - Hrivik - Panik
Jurco - Kristof - Studenic
Cehlarik - Hudacek - K.Pospisil
Bakos - Ruzicka - Lantosi
Dano, Liska

Chara - Sekera
Cernak - Fehervary
Jaros - Marincin
Cajkovsky

Halak
Huska
Tomek

If Slovak will succesful in qualification on summer :)

Last edited:

c2oh2o

Oct 6, 2019
:D
Best guess Finns lineup

Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Kaapo Kakko
Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Roope Hintz - Jesse Puljujärvi
Kasperi Kapanen - Erik Haula - Joel Armia
Julius Nättinen
Joonas Donskoi

Miro Heiskanen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Ville Heinola - Henri Jokiharju
Olli Juolevi - Juuso Välimäki
Esa Lindell - Urho Vaakanainen

Tuukka Rask
Antti Raanta
Mikko Koskinen

Nowadays Joel Armia should be near top6. Questionmarks Kotkaniemi, Välimäki, Nättinen and Vaakanainen. Big questionmarks Pulju, Juolevi and Heinola.

Granlund, Vatanen, Niku, Lehkonen, Nutivaara, Saros and Anttila:D still actual.

Last edited:

c2oh2o

Oct 6, 2019
Nowadays Joel Armia should be near top6. Questionmarks Kotkaniemi, Välimäki, Nättinen and Vaakanainen. Big questionmarks Pulju, Juolevi and Heinola.

Granlund, Vatanen, Niku, Lehkonen, Nutivaara, Saros and Anttila:D still actual.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The NHL would really be missing out if they did not let the players go.

Eichel, Matthews, McDavid, LD, Pettersson etc all duking it out in the world stage. Plus now the IOC is willing to let the NHL use its footage. That is some great material for the league right there.

I listed the above since they are the NHLs "next" generation of stars so perfect way to showcase them

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Well, Mikheyev - Barbashev/Namestnikov - Nichushkin looks like a hell of the 4th line. Big, can skate and pretty skillful. They can wear down any line no matter how star or superstar it is. They can even score ocasionally.

As to top9: Panarin, Gusev, Kucherov, Svechnikov, Kuznetsov (hope, they will decrease his suspension), Dadonov, Kaprizov, Malkin, Tarasenko, Ovechkin... Yeah, so forward shallow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->