What's wrong with Zherdev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He looks more like the next Chistov rather than the next Kovalev.

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
He has struggled with some personal/family issues since arriving post-lockout...

He has shown signs over the last couple of games of turning the corner.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I agree he'll turn it around, be it this year or later for those of you with a bit of patience. I'm big on him though, definitely one of my favorite young prospects

Steve Latin*

WashJeffHockey19 said:
I agree he'll turn it around, be it this year or later for those of you with a bit of patience. I'm big on him though, definitely one of my favorite young prospects

IIRC, wasn't he always kind of streaky? Didn't he tear up the RSL during the first half season in his draft year, and then not really do much the second half? Had he remained consistent, he probably would've been a lock for first overall.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
I keep hearing people saying "wait until Nash comes back", and Zherdev will heat up.

IIRC, Zherdev and Nash didnt play much together at all last season.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Ejh18 said:
He has struggled with some personal/family issues since arriving post-lockout...

He has shown signs over the last couple of games of turning the corner.

Ejh18 is absolutely correct. Zherdev is going through a very difficult time right now because of a very difficult family situation that he has chosen to keep personal. It is difficult to play well when you're in a situation that is emotionally draining. All of which just goes to show us that professional hockey players are people, too, and their work can be dramatically affected by what is happening to them and their loved ones (and make no mistake, Zherdev has been deeply affected by this)...no different than you and me.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
MephistoIV said:
Doesn't matter. Once Nash is back, he gets the top d pair. That means Z can play in Nasher's shadow and on the PP with him.

Somebody with the level of talent that Zherdev has shouldnt have to worry about which defensive pair he goes up against.

This is a lame, lame excuse.

Matt Foley*

BobMckenzie said:
Ejh18 is absolutely correct. Zherdev is going through a very difficult time right now because of a very difficult family situation that he has chosen to keep personal. It is difficult to play well when you're in a situation that is emotionally draining. All of which just goes to show us that professional hockey players are people, too, and their work can be dramatically affected by what is happening to them and their loved ones (and make no mistake, Zherdev has been deeply affected by this)...no different than you and me.

Again, the voice of reason. Thank you, Bob.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Higgy4 said:
Somebody with the level of talent that Zherdev has shouldnt have to worry about which defensive pair he goes up against.

This is a lame, lame excuse.

Not true. A player as young as Zherdev will have trouble being the sole offensive talent against experienced shut-down defensemen.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Claypool said:
omg Eric Staal.
Yeah everyone's drinking the Stall-Ade today

Sudden Death in Carolina

Funny thing is, we know how this goes. In 03-04 Z had a huge spike in production after his arbitration hearing which ruled him eligible to play in the NHL. It's hard being the new kid in the states, but to be the new kid in the states with the IIHF and Russian Federation glaring down at you... it's hard.

Same rule applies i'm afraid. I've seen friends go over the edge in college due to being far away and having a serious traumatic event happen back home. Imagine trying to keep it all under control across an ocean and a continent.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Mike8 said:
Not true. A player as young as Zherdev will have trouble being the sole offensive talent against experienced shut-down defensemen.
Ovechkin and Crosby are having no problem with it bad comparison but ya. That being said Nash wont help him score Nash doesn't pass for those of you who forgot well does but will be lucky to break 20 assists

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Zherdev has looked much better the last two or three games, his effort with and without the puck has been a complete change since the first five games of the season.

I also think Nash is going to have a huge impact on Zherdev and Columbus as a whole. Our power play has be terrible mainly because we have no one that will setup in front of the net. With Nash creating havoc infront of the net and Zherdev and Berard setting things up from the point and along the boards.

I also think Svitov staying in Russia hurt him this year as well. Zherdev and Svitov clicked both on and off ice after the trade from Tampa. Svitov had gone through the same problems as Nick when trying to come over from Russia and it seemed to help having him there.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
I'll agree, he looked good with the puck in the 2 games with the Wild. At times he did seem a bit reluctant to shoot and/or hold onto the puck a bit too long, but at the same time he was creating scoring chances that often weren't finished.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Mike8 said:

I have seen many, many Blue Jackets games over the past few years. I have seen this kid play alot the past 2 years.

I think its something mental with him. He is talented enough to be doing much, much better than he is...regardless of the D on the other side.

You cant blame his ineffectiveness solely on Nash's absence.

CH Wizard

nomorekids said:
Wait til Zherdev gets top-notch playmaker Rick Nash back in the fold!

You forgot to put the sarcasm emoticon, in your post. :propeller

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
He's got 4 points in 12 games on the lowest scoring team in the NHL. Can't we give him just a few more games before we start tearing into him? He'll heat up, he's got the skills. He was the best player on the ice in the first Minny game.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
dru said:
He's got 4 points in 12 games on the lowest scoring team in the NHL. Can't we give him just a few more games before we start tearing into him? He'll heat up, he's got the skills. He was the best player on the ice in the first Minny game.

I agree with ya 100%. I think he will heat up too. I love Zherdev's potential. I just dont buy the "wait until Nash gets back" theory as to why he is off to a bad start.

I think its nothing more than a young kid having some personal off-ice issues which is leading to a lack of confidence and focus on the ice.

He'll get over it and start to pick up the pace...with or without Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad