What's wrong with the PP

Josh007007

Jan 17, 2019
We went from number 1 to pathetic under housley. If we get the PP back to average this team would not have dropped this far.

Possession entry is only getting us in 50% working and when jack is off we have 0 chance.

Iam blaming the coach

Thoughts

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Under Bylsma, Eichel was the trigger man. ROR had the puck more than Eichel.

Under Housley, Eichel has the puck as the QB.

Let Dahlin run the PP from the right half wall.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Coming from a username I never saw before [now clearly for obvious reasons], I half expected this to be a spam bot ad for ForHims.

Personally, I hate pretty much everything about the power play. The drop-pass zone entry thing is obnoxious, a time waste, and every team in the league knows that pretty much only Eichel is a threat to actually carry it in. Drop pass zone entries should be like 2001 Cookie Monster: they're a sometimes food.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
They need to simplify it. As with any power play that is strugging.

Three basic or most common ways to score on the PP(Not the only 3)

1. Defencemen shooting from point it goes straight in, deflection, or rebound and score
2. pass across the goal mouth shoot and score
3. Passing it to a player in the hash marks and one timing

You see the sabres doing number 3 the most and it is not working, also if the player misses the net it goes around the boards and out.

Number 2 was Drury and Briere bread and butter, sabres try now to very little success

Given the state of the PP number 1 seems like the best option but the defence refuses to one time the puck when they get the pass. When they do try they take to long to shoot or float it in and it gets blocked.

Just my opinion and what I see. Every coach, commentator and player will say when you are struggling, simplify, shoot, shoot and keep shooting.

The sabres? Pass, pass and keep passing.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
As Stimson has written about extensively, they need more low-to-high setups. Have plays where Reinhart gets it behind the net. That’d be a good start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
It is far too stationary. There is no movement. Eichel receives the puck and he waits in the same spot, and passes it to Reinhart behind the net or Dahlin who wait in that same spot for a pass.

Eichel can easily cut into the middle draw two onto him to open space for Dahlin, Skinner. Dahlin can easily move down to draw men in to set up either Skinner or Eichel. Reinhart can move along the back wall to shake up his coverage and the Pk coverage, but instead everyone stays where they are

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
IMO it boils down to two things.

-Predictable zone entries
-Lack of off puck movement when we are set up in the zone

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Teams are lining up at blueline, and we've been too stubborn to change. How about someone chip it in to a place Eichel can get to before anyone else. Just a thought

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
PP has worked best when it runs through Eichel at the point, with Reinhart having his rear end in the goalie's face

Phil decided to change that for some insane reason

PP should be

Skinner Reinhart Dahlin
Eichel Pilut

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Do we even know who runs the powerplay? Everyone says it's Housley because he did in Nashville (terribly) but everything Rob Ray has said leads me to believe Davis Payne runs it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->