What's wrong with Ruutu ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I never saw one publication claim Ruutu as a potential 100 point scorer. In fact, even the articles hyping him mentioned he may average a point a game at best. The fact he was voted the best prospect not in the NHL doesn't mean he was supposed to be a future Art Ross winner.

Physical players always take a few years to adapt to the NHL. Look no further than his country-mate Jokinen. It took Olli several years to get comfortable, and he scored 36 goals last year on a bad team. Much to the chagrin of teams who gave up on him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it take two full years before Ruutu get's comfortable, especially coming off that kind of knee injury which always takes 18 months before you get your true stride back.

He was never going to be a 100 point scorer, but I still think his ceiling is higher than 50 points with the right linemates.

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
I always thought Ruutu was rated in the same class as a Nedorost, Michalek, etc. Well rounded 2-way player. Solid, but without elite offensive skills. There was also a lot of comparisons to Esa Tikkanen for his aggressive agitating style. But the past year some people started comparing him to Peter Forsberg and the HF tradition of overhyping prospects continued. What else is new? Happens every year.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
dink182 said:
I always thought Ruutu was rated in the same class as a Nedorost, Michalek, etc. Well rounded 2-way player. Solid, but without elite offensive skills. There was also a lot of comparisons to Esa Tikkanen for his aggressive agitating style. But the past year some people started comparing him to Peter Forsberg and the HF tradition of overhyping prospects continued. What else is new? Happens every year.

you sure your not confusing Ruutu with Jani Rita? I have heard alot of Tikkanen/Rita comparisons.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
rinkrat13 said:
As for Ruutu's potential. IMO I think the kid will be OK. Not a 100 point scorer, but a good all round player that can be used in all situations (PP, PK, last minute of the game, etc) he will probably be like a Forsberg minus all the injuries and about 20-25 points a season.

20-25 points a season is an absolutely ridiculous projection.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I never saw one publication claim Ruutu as a potential 100 point scorer.

Who said otherwise?

Dr.Sens(e) said:
In fact, even the articles hyping him mentioned he may average a point a game at best. The fact he was voted the best prospect not in the NHL doesn't mean he was supposed to be a future Art Ross winner.

No. It just means he was supposed to bring more to the table than what we are seeing.

Dr.Sens(e) said:
Physical players always take a few years to adapt to the NHL.

Not always.

Dr.Sens(e) said:
Look no further than his country-mate Jokinen. It took Olli several years to get comfortable, and he scored 36 goals last year on a bad team. Much to the chagrin of teams who gave up on him.

I'm sure the Kings are really feeling down with Ziggy Palffy on their hands.

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see it take two full years before Ruutu get's comfortable, especially coming off that kind of knee injury which always takes 18 months before you get your true stride back.

He was never going to be a 100 point scorer, but I still think his ceiling is higher than 50 points with the right linemates.

I agree.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Without the injuries, huh? Ruutu has already had way more injury troubles than Forsberg did at the same age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->