Whats wrong with Petro

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Still no signs of Petro turning the corner. But the entire defense looks like a mess. Every dman is playing below what we've seen from them until this year. I wish we could pin it on triplets, but that doesn't explain how poorly everybody looks in the dzone.
Pietrangelo was excellent against Carolina. What games are you watching?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The two Bouwmeester was scratched?
The funny thing is JBo looks fine when hes not with Pie. Even better with less minutes too. I know, I know, makes sense. But I mean he literally plays better D without Pie. Maybe they just shouldn't play together.

<insert obligatory "yeah not with pie... in the pressbox! Lololololol!!!!" comment>

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The funny thing is JBo looks fine when hes not with Pie. Even better with less minutes too. I know, I know, makes sense. But I mean he literally plays better D without Pie. Maybe they just shouldn't play together.

<insert obligatory "yeah not with pie... in the pressbox! Lololololol!!!!" comment>
I mean, I don't really agree. Bouwmeester flat out isn't any good anymore. He's old, and while his skating is still there his reaction time is a LOT slower I've noticed, which is why he now blows so much more coverage. He's also inept offensively and makes bad decisions with the puck on his stick.

It's not like he'd look good even if only given 9 minutes a game. The less ice time just makes him less noticeable and allows for less mistakes to be made, that's it. But his skills are not there anymore and he brings nothing to the lineup that we need.

Reactions: TK 421

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

He really doesn't. Bouwmeester just looks flat out bad.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I mean, I don't really agree. Bouwmeester flat out isn't any good anymore. He's old, and while his skating is still there his reaction time is a LOT slower I've noticed, which is why he now blows so much more coverage. He's also inept offensively and makes bad decisions with the puck on his stick.

It's not like he'd look good even if only given 9 minutes a game. The less ice time just makes him less noticeable and allows for less mistakes to be made, that's it. But his skills are not there anymore and he brings nothing to the lineup that we need.

I guess agree to disagree. I think he struggles with long shifts and part of what you are saying he is slow for playing against top lines. I think when he is on the top line he is putting too much pressure on himself too. So probably not directly related to pie but he is noticeably better with less time and not on the top line. For the same reasons really. He is older and slower. I just think he is still serviceable. He isn't top line, 20 minutes a night guy anymore. Bottom pair 10-15 or less minutes with SOME PK time - sure! Hes good to go.

He really doesn't. Bouwmeester just looks flat out bad.
What a compelling argument. :laugh:

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada

Bouwmeester hasn't looked good anywhere. It's really concerning for how many goals he's on the ice for regardless of his partner. It's also not a coincidence that we've won two games by large margins both games he's been benched. He's not physical, he thinks the game too slow, he can't pass anymore, he can't shoot. Honestly, he doesn't really do anything good outside of his skating anymore.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Pietrangelo was excellent against Carolina. What games are you watching?

Like most posters here, I've watched every game. I'm glad you thought he was "excellent" against Carolina. What I still don't see is the player who was excellent at checking puck carriers with his stick, the player who was like Houdini in the way he was able to escape pressure by patiently skating the puck out of trouble, the player who makes excellent decisions in transition regarding when and who to pass to, and the guy who made guys around him better.
If you think he or any dman was excellent against Carolina, we just disagree. I think our d unit as a whole was swarmed by Carolina and that includes Petro. I'm sure the forwards could help out a lot as far as transitioning the puck out of the dzone. Bottom line for me, Petro is still playing average at best IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->