Whats wrong with Petro

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
He just looks off, I think it's having the kiddos ate into his offseason regimen. I get it, but I honestly think that's what it is.

I honestly don't think it's fatherhood that's wrecked his game. Look at the rest of the defense, something else is going on. Parayko and Dunn suddenly forgot how to play(though Dunn isn't exactly a shut-down D, but you get my gist), Edmundson's been decent but has also made some flubs. Obviously Bouwmeester is just plain old at this point.

Reactions: Bendak

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm always amazed at the number of people we have on this board that must work for the Blues organization and have access to what is said behind closed doors. Or by the number of people who have no idea what they are talking about when they criticize someone's leadership.

I've never heard any player criticize Petro's leadership. I can't recall any articles with unnamed sources on the team criticizing his leadership. I've heard tons of guys praise Petro and he has undoubtedly been a top 20 NHL D man with his on ice play while wearing the C. In his time wearing the C he has been the backbone of a very successful blue line and has been arguably our best player over that time.

So what are we criticizing? Interviews? Are we seriously saying that the ultra-rehearsed sound bites designed to avoid criticism are anything close to the things said in the locker room or during team meetings?

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm always amazed at the number of people we have on this board that must work for the Blues organization and have access to what is said behind closed doors. Or by the number of people who have no idea what they are talking about when they criticize someone's leadership.

I've never heard any player criticize Petro's leadership. I can't recall any articles with unnamed sources on the team criticizing his leadership. I've heard tons of guys praise Petro and he has undoubtedly been a top 20 NHL D man with his on ice play while wearing the C. In his time wearing the C he has been the backbone of a very successful blue line and has been arguably our best player over that time.

So what are we criticizing? Interviews? Are we seriously saying that the ultra-rehearsed sound bites designed to avoid criticism are anything close to the things said in the locker room or during team meetings?
I’m,not down on Pietrangelo as captain, but can you point to times he picked the team up mid-game? Stuff like being meek toward a misbehaving Benn happens on the ice. I’d like to see a captain know when to voice some emotion effectively. Guys like Ott and Backes did that as captains. Pietrangelo does many other things well. But he comes across as easy to push around on the ice.

Anyway, I think that’s what people are criticizing.

I’ll predict a “players only meeting” in 3...2...1....

Because what else is there at this point?

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Frustrated with his playmaking. Why does Petro always delay with the puck and look for the shot pass. He very rarely fires the puck on net like a shooter. It is either wait,wait, fail. Or wait, wait shoot 6ft wide. More goals are scored off rebounds than sneaky shoot passes. Just shoot it and stop looking so hard for the tip in.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Frustrated with his playmaking. Why does Petro always delay with the puck and look for the shot pass. He very rarely fires the puck on net like a shooter. It is either wait,wait, fail. Or wait, wait shoot 6ft wide. More goals are scored off rebounds than sneaky shoot passes. Just shoot it and stop looking so hard for the tip in.

I guess it's time for the yearly reminder that Petro hits the net at comparable rate to every other top defenseman in the league.

Last edited:

Internettoughguy314

Oct 20, 2017
He looked mentally exhausted during his interview after the Colombus game. With him and his wife's history I'm sure the last year was super hard for him. I don't know if this is what's wrong but I know from experience that even under normal circumstances having kids take a lot out of you mentally.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
I guess it's time for the yearly reminder that Petro hits the net at comparable rate to every other top defenseman in the league.
In the stats, does the "shot-pass" count as an intended shot? I am not arguing about his ability to hit the net, rather frustrated with him waiting and looking for the shot pass / deflection when he has an opportunity to let it rip ON NET.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I take peoples hot takes on here about leadership with a large pinch of salt. Unless you're a member of that team, can recite multiple interviews/Q&As, etc that can show what kind of leader they are, you know nothing.

Wait... how did I get here? Did this thread get moved from the main board? :laugh:

Totally agree.

As for the second part well lol

albuquerque-2.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-27_15-7-51.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-27_15-7-51.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Bendak and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I take peoples hot takes on here about leadership with a large pinch of salt. Unless you're a member of that team, can recite multiple interviews/Q&As, etc that can show what kind of leader they are, you know nothing.

Wait... how did I get here? Did this thread get moved from the main board? :laugh:
100% agree with you! We could honestly make an individual thread for every guy on the team and nitpick everything about their game even the guys that are quote on quote "playing well".

Pietro like the rest of the team is in a slump, due to a number of factors. But let's stick to realistic factors affecting play and not BS off the rails things like "he's a terrible leader" or "he's soft because he didn't punch Jamie Benn" or the number of other crazy things I've read on my screen.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He looked mentally exhausted during his interview after the Colombus game. With him and his wife's history I'm sure the last year was super hard for him. I don't know if this is what's wrong but I know from experience that even under normal circumstances having kids take a lot out of you mentally.
Absolutely! And less than one-year old TRIPLETS!!! That's got to be physically draining, as well. I remember getting only a few hours sleep at night with only ONE infant. I can't imagine how tired I'd be with 3. Give the guy a little slack.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Absolutely! And less than one-year old TRIPLETS!!! That's got to be physically draining, as well. I remember getting only a few hours sleep at night with only ONE infant. I can't imagine how tired I'd be with 3. Give the guy a little slack.
I think he can afford to hire some help.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Do you honestly think that a down to earth hockey player is going to hire someone who will do all the parenting so that he doesn’t have any stress? Were not talking about some shallow celeb here.

Reactions: GrayZack

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I really don’t understand this sentiment afford help sure? Or do you mean pay people to be the parents while you’re busy working? They say the best help is the ones you don’t remember, I honestly don’t see Petro using that slogan

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
The issue is Yeo trying to make the defense be more offensive, when they don't need to be this year. Yeo needs to realize that and that was the whole reason why DA brought in ROR, Perron, Brozak, and Maroon. To add offense and center depth. Than add in the rookies, He needs to make it where the main job of the defensemen is to keep the puck in the zone after a shot and protect the goalie and get the other team to turn over, and set up the forwards and may be take a slap shot if you Paryako. No reason why Petro which I saw, skate in to get a dumped puck, that's what the forward should be getting.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
I remember Petro going through a really rough stretch after coming back from a "lower body" injury ... ankle if i recall correctly. But this is much more concerning to me. He is playing and thinking poorly in all 3 zones. His skating/explosion is weak. Puck handling - bad. Passing - off. Shot - nope. Defending - weak and clumsy. Decision making - poor. When the Blues get pinned in their zone and he gains the puck, he is either icing it, passing it to the point of our opponent, or hoisting it just to clear the zone. He has lost his confidence in his ability to skate the puck and stick handle out of trouble. When he tries to skate it out of trouble right now, he has turned the puck over too often. If this goes on much longer, it's really going to become a scary situation. RHD goes from a strength to a weakness until he works his way out of this "slump".
The Blackhawk fans were wondering what happened to his skill during their game day thread saturday night. It's obviously an issue to anyone who is paying attention.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
For what it's worth, I think this is impossible to tell.

I wonder which takes more energy and causes more stress.
I was thinking of Backes fighting all the Canadians that Olympics year. There were just times when he did things that I knew the team responded to. I'm not sure I can see that from Pietro, nor from most captains frankly. Backes was a lot more visible in that regard. I think its worth noting that Backes thought Pietro was the obvious choice as captain, so he must have seen something he thought was crucial there.

Reactions: mk80 and Bendak

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I was thinking of Backes fighting all the Canadians that Olympics year. There were just times when he did things that I knew the team responded to. I'm not sure I can see that from Pietro, nor from most captains frankly. Backes was a lot more visible in that regard. I think its worth noting that Backes thought Pietro was the obvious choice as captain, so he must have seen something he thought was crucial there.
Yeah, I get that, it's just that leadership isn't necessarily throwing the big hit or fighting. For some, that's how they manifest, but others are more quiet. Lidstrom, for example, was supposedly a fantastic leader and I think I've gotten in more NHL fights than he has.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Hopefully the 5 day break will help. We need to see some type of sign of him turning things in the right direction. We are kind of doomed as a team, if he doesn't come out of this at some point.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Still no signs of Petro turning the corner. But the entire defense looks like a mess. Every dman is playing below what we've seen from them until this year. I wish we could pin it on triplets, but that doesn't explain how poorly everybody looks in the dzone.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018

Maybe I should troll the bars that Blues players frequent and Uber them home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad