Whats wrong with Petro

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by Chief Steele, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Chief Steele

Chief Steele Registered User

To start this is not a lets bash Petro thread. Lets take time to dig down and try and figure out what the hell is going on with our Captain. Over the last few year most have argued he is a Norris Caliber Defenseman. This year he looks like he has never played D before. Mental lapses in the DZ. What are your thoughts on the issues.

IMO.. I have no real clue it could be the pressure of being C or maybe it is the new babies he has at home, or it could be that whatever new scheme they put in place he cannot play or adapt too. I could be way off base and he will turn it around and be the stud he always has been, but from everything I have seen something is really off with him. And to be honest its not just him, CP55 also looks really lost. But I want to focus in Petro for now so fire away..

Bendak likes this.
  2. mw2noobbuster

mw2noobbuster Registered User

Yeo's crappy defensive structure is making everybody look bad. Being a new father and the weight that comes with it probably doesn't help. I get flashbacks to when Luongo's stats fell off a cliff the year after when he got married. Pietro needs to wake up but Yeo needs to put him in a position to succeed.

Bendak likes this.
  3. Dbrownss

Dbrownss Registered User

Kids? :dunno: vladdy also seemed to have trended down after his kid. Now I honestly dont believe that as they are multi millionaires and shouldnt have the same day to day worries and grind as normal people.

Early season slump, hell get out of it.

Bendak likes this.
  4. The Note

The Note Pietrangelo Apologist

Sometimes good players have slow starts. He’s proven himself to be a top 10 defenseman in the league, I’m not too worried about him.

shmotz and Bendak like this.
  5. 542365

542365 Schwartz Be With You

He's had rough starts in the past. I remember when Karlsson won his first Norris the next season Pietrangelo clearly tried to push the play offensively more to start the season and was an absolute disaster. Once he settled down and played his game he was great again. That play on the PK is something we've seen him do a thousand times. As soon as he stopped that puck in the corner we all knew he was going to go high right up the middle right out of the zone and kill the rest of the penalty. Then he didn't. Whether it got caught along the boards or whatever I don't know, but that's a play he knows how to make. He didn't suddenly forget. Now that's not his only misplay on the season, far from it, but I'm not too concerned. He'll get it figured out.

Bendak and Brian39 like this.
  6. TheBluePenguin

TheBluePenguin Registered User

Not overly concerned about anything from this season. I am disappointment but willing give them 10 games or so to figure themselves. Petro looks fine with Edmundson as a partner, Bo and Dunn playing like complete crap has gotten him off his game, looks like he is trying to do too much, which players tend to do when they feel like they have to compensate for bad line-mates.

Bendak likes this.
  7. stl76

stl76 #Petro4Norris

I don’t even think Pietro has looked particularly bad so far...he’s been just OK. But our defensive scheme is trash.

Also, Parayko has looked fantastic. MUCH more physical and a more shoot first mentality IMO.

Bendak likes this.
  8. Chief Steele

Chief Steele Registered User

I will agree with the second half of your statement a little more physical and shoot first, but some of the play in the DZ he also has looked lost. Maybe I just had to high of expectations for this team over all. But after watching these first few games and some of the goals they have given up.. I don't blame the goalies at all. I blame the lackluster play from the D-men. and at times it just looks like Petro is lost out there. and I agree he may be over compensating for others in the zone. But he as the C should step up and go to Yeo and tell him whatever in the hell they are doing its not working.

Bendak likes this.
  9. Thallis

Thallis "more effort"

Man to man defense is stupid for him. We want Petro working the puck out of the corners and up to the forwards. Having him (the rest of the D too, but him especially) chase above the hash marks is lunacy.

10. Stealth JD

Stealth JD Get some beer...and some...cleaning products. Sponsor

combination between bad play from his linemates, a lousy scheme implemented by the coach, he's probably trying to do to much and every mistake is amplified when you have no margin for error.

Bendak and ScratchCatFever like this.
  11. BlueDream

BlueDream Registered User

I'll echo that Parayko looks completely fine, he doesn't look "lost" at all. There's a lot wrong with the team right now but some of you are only seeing what you want to see.

Bendak likes this.
  12. ScratchCatFever

ScratchCatFever Registered User

I'm of the opinion that Pietrangelo along with the majority of the team are gripping their sticks a little too tight here in the early going. Players that have been with the organization for more than a few years now certainly know the frustrations of Blues fans the past 52 years. Couple that with an off-season full of hype and expectations, on top of Yeo's overbearing intensity and unpredictability behind the bench and here we are. I think it will bode well for this team to get on the road for 3 games and hopefully loosen up and dial their game in.

Bendak and Chief Steele like this.
  13. ChuckLefley

ChuckLefley Registered User

I think Petro is spending too much time trying to do the job of the forwards. He is having to make plays in the O zone when the forwards are drifting around. In the D zone the same thing is happening and he is having to cover two and three players or zones at once. Yeo has the forwards having no clue where to be or what to do. To think we all thought he would be Hitchcock 2.0, all D.

Bendak likes this.
  14. Klank Loves You

Klank Loves You Registered User

I think Petro is spending too much mental and physical energy on his new triplets. Totally unacceptable.

Bendak likes this.
  15. LetsGoBLUES91

LetsGoBLUES91 Registered User

Pietrangelo is the least of my worries right now.

Bendak, Mike Liut and Brian39 like this.
  16. Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi Lead Hockey Lackey

Good grief. None of us know anything about his home situation. Does he have a live-in nanny? Grandma? Both? This comment is totally unacceptable. I sure hope this was an attempt at sarcasm.

Bendak likes this.
  17. PerryTurnbullfan

PerryTurnbullfan Registered User

As Petro finds his game, so goes the Blues. He is the glue of the D. Matter of time and we will be playing .750 hockey. He will find it.

18. JoshFromMO

JoshFromMO Registered User

I'm pretty sure he was joking,

...but how dare he try to raise kids when he has an NHL future ahead of him! Trade him!

Bendak and Klank Loves You like this.
  19. Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi Lead Hockey Lackey

I wish it was obvious, but with some of the comments here lately I can’t tell for sure.

Bendak likes this.
  20. dtrain

dtrain Registered User

Yeo. It feels like he doesn't even know what to tell the guys at this point.

Bendak likes this.
  21. TheDizee

TheDizee Always Right

Home Page:
    hes a creampuff defenseman and a terrible leader.

he will likely get out of this rut sometime but ive never been a fan of his leadership or physicality.

Bendak likes this.
  22. The Grouch

The Grouch Enraged

No kidding. I wish you would speak up more about that. I had no idea you held that position.

23. BlueSinceBirth

BlueSinceBirth Registered User

I really think this coaching staff is to blame. All they do is collapse down low and hope to block the shot. Breakout relies on stretch passes that are ending up as icings most the time. This team has too much talent to pray the long passes get through.

Bendak likes this.
  24. simon IC

simon IC Registered User

I think he is trying to do too much. I disagree with questioning his leadership. You can see his passion when he is being interviewed, as well as his frustration. The guy really cares about this team. To my eye test, it looks like the team is struggling with a new system, and Pietrangelo is running around trying to hold things together when it breaks down. The new system has to go, then the captain will be fine. FWIW, I was angry with him after the Benn incident, but I was more concerned about of him not sticking up for himself personally than failing to provide leadership.

25. Foppberg

Foppberg HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

I take peoples hot takes on here about leadership with a large pinch of salt. Unless you're a member of that team, can recite multiple interviews/Q&As, etc that can show what kind of leader they are, you know nothing.

Wait... how did I get here? Did this thread get moved from the main board? :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    ChuckLefley and Bendak like this.