Whats wrong with Nikolaj Ehlers?

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
You do realize has has some of the best possessions stats on the team right?
I am not aware of his possession stats, and I am doubtful of your statement.
I don't think the whole team is playing up to their potential & their possession stats in general would all be suffering.

I am going by the eye test as I watch most Jets games.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I am not aware of his possession stats, and I am doubtful of your statement.
I don't think the whole team is playing up to their potential & their possession stats in general would all be suffering.

I am going by the eye test as I watch most Jets games.

I'd definitely not argue against him needing to be better! I think the eye test plays tricks on us when it comes to players that carry the puck a lot. Ehlers is a prime example of that. He not only has the puck a lot but plays with a lot of risk. I think it's human nature to remember all the mistakes and thus think he didn't do well. Possession stats has him as the 2nd best Jet on 5v5. Stats pulled from natural stat trick.

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 5.09.14 PM.png

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd definitely not argue against him needing to be better! I think the eye test plays tricks on us when it comes to players that carry the puck a lot. Ehlers is a prime example of that. He not only has the puck a lot but plays with a lot of risk. I think it's human nature to remember all the mistakes and thus think he didn't do well. Possession stats has him as the 2nd best Jet on 5v5. Stats pulled from natural stat trick.

View attachment 151287
You sir are correct, he does have decent Corsi numbers. I still don't think that he is playing up to his potential.
Also, numbers can be misleading Myers @50.63 has seemingly had a lot of trouble in his own end this year.

Reactions: DashingDane

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ehlers is in a bit of a slump but it's not like he's playing bad. He's more of a playmaker and he has set up his teammates with some beautiful passes but not many have been able to finish recently. I'm not worried at this point as he is generating a lot of offense, drawing penalties and has looked very good on the 1st line. Probably the best player on that line right now at 5 on 5.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Again, the Jets have the second worst (or were in the last day or so) 5v5 shooting % in the league, and we've been pretty terrible overall as a team, just like we were last year to start the season.

Jacob Trouba is tied with Scheifele for the lead in non-pp scoring for the Jets.

No one is scoring 5v5 for the Jets, and most of our PP scoring comes from PP1.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Ehlers/Laine also struggled in last years playoffs. Had they been on, WPG would have played WSH.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

View attachment 151287
OK, so Wheeler, Scheifele, and Laine suck, not Ehlers?:huh:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wait what...? Where did I say that :huh:

If you mean that Ehlers has been better at possession, then yes, that’s what those stats would suggest... also not stats I’ve personally tracked. not sure what your point is...
My point is that a lazy person's argument (I don't know who it was who put up the table I referenced)is to put up a stat as if it somehow proves something conclusive about a player. I'm not even confident that the stats are tracked properly. Giveaways, takeaways, and hits, are a joke.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
My point is that a lazy person's argument (I don't know who it was who put up the table I referenced)is to put up a stat as if it somehow proves something conclusive about a player. I'm not even confident that the stats are tracked properly. Giveaways, takeaways, and hits, are a joke.

May be look at context next time... I put those stats up to show Ehlers was doing ok in possession metrics which was the conversation talking place. That table doesn't even have giveaways, takeaways, hits ect. It shows Corsi events and %. All that means is he is doing better at keeping possession, not that he is better than y,x or z player in general.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ehlers/Laine also struggled in last years playoffs. Had they been on, WPG would have played WSH.
Laine struggled? :huh:

Did you see the Jets scoring leaders. He is 19 years and playing his 1st playoff year. He wasn't spectacular overall but he didn't struggle. He made a lot of key plays in both Wilds and Preds series.

Ehlers he will get around. Good for 50 to 70 points a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->