What's wrong with Gilbert Brule?

Randall Graves*

So far he's got 1 goal in 13 games, this was a guy expected to be a Calder candidate, so what's his deal? In every Jackets game i've watched he's been invisible.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Look at Patrick O'sullivan.... he's in the minors. There's not alot of rookies that can make a immidiate impact for there team. Other then Carle, Kopitar and some guy named Malkin there isn't anybody else that has been making much noise either. He's only 19. Give the KID some time.....

The worst part of it..... he's playing with Jody Shelley !!!!!!!!

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
If he's not in the press box watching the game, he's playing with Jody Shelley. If he asserts himself for the new coach, whoever it is, he'll get more playing time.

I hope they let him play in the WJC, rather him play there than sitting in the press box.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
He's don't getting many ice-time . Latendresse was 0 point in 14 games (I think) on last line and now he got 6 points in 6 games on the first line . I think it will be the same thing for Brule .. he'll made his place slowly in the league .

Ogopogo*

So far he's got 1 goal in 13 games, this was a guy expected to be a Calder candidate, so what's his deal? In every Jackets game i've watched he's been invisible.

Nothing wrong with him, he just isn't that good. People who considered him a Calder candidate obviously didn't see him play in junior. I saw him play many junior games and, based on what I saw, the guy will be a 3rd liner at best and might end up a career AHLer.

Nothing wrong, he just ain't that good.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
He's 19 years old. That's what it amounts to. He isn't NHL ready. And the problem is, he's not going to get better playing seven to 10 minutes per game once a week. He should be in the Dub.

I've seen a lot of kids come into the show at 18 or 19, struggle, get returned to junior, and go on to enjoy long and prolific careers. Brule will still be a star. He just needs playing time, or he'll going to look out of place until he's 23 or 24, instead of 20 or 21.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Nothing wrong with him, he just isn't that good. People who considered him a Calder candidate obviously didn't see him play in junior. I saw him play many junior games and, based on what I saw, the guy will be a 3rd liner at best and might end up a career AHLer.

Funny, I haven't seen many career AHLer's set scoring records in the Memorial Cup with a year of junior eligibility remaining.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He's probably suffering from hype-itis. It's a condition that commonly affects players who were drafted by Canadian teams or played their junior hockey in major Canadian markets.

See: Schremp and Bourdon for details.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench

Not even really sure what to say to that, therefore I will just quote it so other people can say what I am thinking.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I'm a little disappointed in you RK. You missed the perfect opportunity for a clever title.

Should have been. "What's Eating Gilbert Brule"

Randall Graves*

I'm a little disappointed in you RK. You missed the perfect opportunity for a clever title.

Should have been. "What's Eating Gilbert Brule"
I wanted to do that, but we already had a what's eating Rick Nash thread, therefore internets law dictates I couldn't use it.

Ogopogo*

Funny, I haven't seen many career AHLer's set scoring records in the Memorial Cup with a year of junior eligibility remaining.

Many great juniors have fizzled at the NHL level. Surely you are familiar with Rob Brown - the WHL single season point record holder at 212. Brown won the WHL scoring title by a record 45%, and he ended up being a great AHL/IHLer. What about Doug Wickenheiser? Jock Callander? Dennis Sobchuk? Pavel Brendl? Dale Derkatch? Kelly Guard?

I could go on but being a junior star is not the same thing as being an NHL star. The step from junior to the NHL is the biggest step to take and, based on the hockey I saw Brule play when I lived in Kelowna, he will not be a star at the NHL level.

Last edited by a moderator:

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Brule is the typical case that a prospect have a too much hype and later he crash in NHL

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Many great juniors have fizzled at the NHL level. Surely you are familiar with Rob Brown - the WHL single season point record holder at 212. Brown won the WHL scoring title by a record 45%, and he ended up being a great AHL/IHLer. What about Doug Wickenheiser? Jock Callander? Dennis Sobchuk? Pavel Brendl? Dale Derkatch? Kelly Guard?
Hey Brown has 438 points in 543 NHL games, Brule has yet to accomplish that !

Macster

Aug 26, 2005
Hammonds Plains, NS
I find it absolutely pitiful, and hilarious at the same time, that there are some people in this thread saying that Brule is a bust after playing in less than a quarter of a season.

He has basically not been given the oppourtunity to get anything going. He has been mostly playing on the fourth line with Jody Shelley and AHL callup Steve Goertzen, who is a grinder at best.

The problem so far with Brule, like every other member of the Blue Jackets, is consistency. If he can put up some consistent solid play, which is going to be tough with only 5 minutes a night, then he will move to a scoring line.

Earlier this season it seemed like Brule was starting to really take off while playing on the second line. However, after having a great game, Gallant put him on the fourth line. Now that Gallant is gone, Jackets fans are hoping the new coach will give Brule top six minutes.

It is absolutely WAY too early to be calling him a bust.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He's a finisher playing without playmakers. He's at his best in the corners or in the slot, but who's going get the puck to him? Judy Shelley? Who's going to carry the puck up the ice.

Team chemistry in Columbus is a joke, and that's why the whole set of forwards is underachieving. You can thank Doug MacLean for that one.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Earlier this season it seemed like Brule was starting to really take off while playing on the second line. However, after having a great game, Gallant put him on the fourth line. Now that Gallant is gone, Jackets fans are hoping the new coach will give Brule top six minutes.

It is absolutely WAY too early to be calling him a bust.

Exactly.
Brule could play second line duty and be the best player in the game just to be put on 4th line the next game.
He could be one of Jackets better players on a 4th line just to be benched the next. This has happend over and over.

He and the hole team has been drained from confidence and it made them stop beliving a long time ago.

psukan

Nov 2, 2005
I hope they let him play in the WJC, rather him play there than sitting in the press box.

I don't think he even can play. He wasn't at the summer evaluation camp. I heard something about it on tsn. Bad move by hockey canada if he wasn't invited and now can't play. Can anyone confirm this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad