What's with the Woo-ing at Nationwide Arena?

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA
Hey all,
I was at the Devils Game last night at Nationwide Arena (1/15/19). Half way into the 3rd period the crowd starts these random high pitched "Woos" from all over the arena. It was random and continued till I left the building. What is up with the "Woo-ing"?

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Hey all,
I was at the Devils Game last night at Nationwide Arena (1/15/19). Half way into the 3rd period the crowd starts these random high pitched "Woos" from all over the arena. It was random and continued till I left the building. What is up with the "Woo-ing"?
It's the hillbilly Merca faction of our population now...............it's their mating/identity call perhaps?...............

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Idk, but it wasn't it a Pens thing? Then it infiltrated Monsters games a few years back. Why don't we just get Stinger to blow the terrible air horn next every 2 minutes too? Can we not come up with something original?

I like that the crowd is making noise, but...

Maybe I'm just crotchety because I HATE Carolina's post-game celly as well. I think I just don't enjoy fun.

EDIT: I know no fanbase owns the "woo" but thats who I associate it with, so its why I hate it.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I mentioned in the Rangers GDT that this is a Cincinnati Reds/hillbilly thing and I’m surprised it’s arrived here.

Side note- what happened to the “CBJ” chant? Haven’t heard it at all recently.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
First in the Metro!!

Woooooooooool!

(For the record, I do not “wooo”. But it doesn’t bother me and hope people who are dropping $100/ticket enjoy themselves despite how the at home couch potatoes think they should behave. Bang on the glass if you want. Boo a player or players. Cheer or don’t cheer. However, My biggest nightmare is that some asshole will bring one of those horns like Pens and Blues have that go “Honk Honk Honk.. lets go Blues!”)

Reactions: thebus88

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
This is not isolated to Nationwide Arena, believe me!

Ironically, I actually first heard the wooing at Nationwide Arena last February vs. the Devils. I thought it was just a Columbus thing. However, two nights later I was at the Barclays Center for the Jackets-Islanders game and heard a few woos, as well.

I returned to Vegas a week later and it has been full-go "wooing" non-stop at T-Mobile Arena since then (although it has subsided slightly this year). In fact, one of the local Vegas car dealers has a commercial that prominently features the "woo". It is awful.

I wish it would go away. The people doing it are losers.

Reactions: thebus88

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Yep the Pens fans started the woo a few years ago. They would only do it at the end of a win - - maybe the last 2 minutes.

NWA problems...several. But there are also a lot of good things too...

I've been to about 6 VGK games. Some of their dramatic ballet stuff pregame is goofy but they know how to wind up a crowd with good and LOUD music. The entire game people go nuts and a lot of it is the emcee dude that is great. Watch this video of a PRESEASON game from this year. It had to be 95% full and when they interview Pacioretty after the game he literally looked stunned and explained "that felt like a playoff game atmosphere".

It's all pretty cool to watch but listen to the crowd starting at about 1:05

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
They do that in Carolina. They used to have Ric Flair on the screen after a goal leading the Woos. Now he is no longer on the screen but it still remains as a stupid thing where a drunk dude yells Woo which makes another drunk dude automatically yell Woo which causes another and so on. Not sure how it made it to Columbus but that sucks.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
They do that in Carolina. They used to have Ric Flair on the screen after a goal leading the Woos. Now he is no longer on the screen but it still remains as a stupid thing where a drunk dude yells Woo which makes another drunk dude automatically yell Woo which causes another and so on. Not sure how it made it to Columbus but that sucks.

Thats basically how I watched it happen last night

Drunk A: Woooooo!
Drunk B: Woooooo!

Drunk A: HAHAHA, THIS IS FUN
Drunk C: Wooooo!
Drunk A: Wooooo!

and so on..

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yep the Pens fans started the woo a few years ago. They would only do it at the end of a win - - maybe the last 2 minutes.

NWA problems...several. But there are also a lot of good things too...

I've been to about 6 VGK games. Some of their dramatic ballet stuff pregame is goofy but they know how to wind up a crowd with good and LOUD music. The entire game people go nuts and a lot of it is the emcee dude that is great. Watch this video of a PRESEASON game from this year. It had to be 95% full and when they interview Pacioretty after the game he literally looked stunned and explained "that felt like a playoff game atmosphere".

It's all pretty cool to watch but listen to the crowd starting at about 1:05

It's not too hard to get a hockey crowd riled up before the game. This is a midweek (I think) Cincinnati Cyclones crowd.

I'm not one who cares too much about loud crowds, but the CBJ could do some things to generate more noise (like eliminate the noise-killing Wendy's after the 3rd goal).

Reactions: CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad