What's with the Booth hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Then trade Kesler, dammit!

... seriously, I'm not sure what better piece we could have gotten for what we paid. Even if he's not the absolute possible best, he still fills a need and looks to do it well when Canuck management isn't... doing sinister things to his groin.

Personally I really like Booth and I think he's a dynamic guy. I've got no issues whatsoever with the trade, his production, his role or his beliefs.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
Wouldn't say I hate the guy, but like others have said, it's a little weird to watch a top6 forward with such little on-ice vision. We're used to watching the Sedins with eyes in the back of their heads, and then there's Booth mashed into the talent level of our top6 forwards.

It's almost frustrating to watch him go head down and take a pretty crappy shot, especially when from our vantage point we can see a better play. Who knows though, maybe that kind of thing proves to be really valuable in a really tight playoff series.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I think we Should just look at Booth as if he's replacing Volpatti in our lineup. When you look at it that way he's great! We don't need Booth to be a 30 goal scorer, we just need him to chip in with big goals along with the rest of the supporting cast.

Eventhough the stats didn't show it I think Booth was one of our most effective forwards against LA last year. He was one of the only forwards who would take the puck to the net, and was unfortunate to not have better puck luck.

Booth will always be a streaky player, but when he's going he is a pretty damn good player evident by a stretch where he put up 28 pts in 43 games.

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Wouldn't say I hate the guy, but like others have said, it's a little weird to watch a top6 forward with such little on-ice vision. We're used to watching the Sedins with eyes in the back of their heads, and then there's Booth mashed into the talent level of our top6 forwards.

It's almost frustrating to watch him go head down and take a pretty crappy shot, especially when from our vantage point we can see a better play. Who knows though, maybe that kind of thing proves to be really valuable in a really tight playoff series.

He's really the only guy aside from Kassian who will likely crash the net and get those trash goals. Our team gets a little too caught up sometimes in trying for pretty goals and such.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Then trade Kesler, dammit!

... seriously, I'm not sure what better piece we could have gotten for what we paid. Even if he's not the absolute possible best, he still fills a need and looks to do it well when Canuck management isn't... doing sinister things to his groin.

Kesler? Fat chance. Canucks wouldn't even swap Kesler 1 for 1 for Jordan Staal (Shero asked).

Goligoski for Neal was a criminally stupid move. I shredded it the day it happened and couldn't believe anyone would defend it. You don't give up a James Neal for a middling, undersized offensive defensemen with decent defensive numbers. James Neal for Ehrhoff lite. Boy oh boy. Then people are surprised Goligoski looks worse offensively when he's not on a Penguins PP...

There's a trade I wish Gillis had been able to worm his way into... Ehrhoff + for Neal. Canucks might have won the cup in 2011 with that move.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
He's really the only guy aside from Kassian who will likely crash the net and get those trash goals. Our team gets a little too caught up sometimes in trying for pretty goals and such.

Yes, having a balanced/diverse attack is good. The team gets into trouble when Non-Sedins start trying to play like Sedins. I always thought the brilliance of Alex Burrows is he's essentially immune to this syndrome.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Kesler? Fat chance. Canucks wouldn't even swap Kesler 1 for 1 for Jordan Staal (Shero asked).

Goligoski for Neal was a criminally stupid move. I shredded it the day it happened and couldn't believe anyone would defend it. You don't give up a James Neal for a middling, undersized offensive defensemen with decent defensive numbers. James Neal for Ehrhoff lite. Boy oh boy. Then people are surprised Goligoski looks worse offensively when he's not on a Penguins PP...

There's a trade I wish Gillis had been able to worm his way into... Ehrhoff + for Neal. Canucks might have won the cup in 2011 with that move.

I would have done it 20 times out of 10.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
It's because he's got some pretty glaring deficiencies in his game and people aren't able to look past them to recognize he's a pretty effective player. If wasn't nearly as bad at the things he's bad at then he'd be a bonafide first liner, but as it stands he's just a good second liner.

I think that there's a tendency to overemphasize the effect of extreme characteristics in a player (either good or bad) when assessing a player's overall value. You could have two equally effective players with one having less variance in their overall ability and most people would rate that player as being better despite the fact that they are equally effective.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's because he's got some pretty glaring deficiencies in his game and people aren't able to look past them to recognize he's a pretty effective player. If wasn't nearly as bad at the things he's bad at then he'd be a bonafide first liner, but as it stands he's just a good second liner.

I think that there's a tendency to overemphasize the effect of extreme characteristics in a player (either good or bad) when assessing a player's overall value. You could have two equally effective players with one having less variance in their overall ability and most people would rate that player as being better despite the fact that they are equally effective.

I love you because you use math and statistics and logic all the time.

Let's be best friends.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington

Well yeah, that's the point. If you want to get someone of that calibre, you're sending something hefty back in return. What did we give up for Booth?

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Never thought Booth got in sync with the rest of the team last year. Seemed to being trying to do too much on his own. Did not go thru training camp and missed a lot hockey in Florida.

Maybe a little like the Ballard situation who had similar problems in adjusting to a new situation. Booth had some decent spurts last season but never looked comfortable and ended up just winging it on his own a lot.

Part of the problem may have been that Kesler was too banged up to work well with Booth. Booth has always been a finisher (and that's quality that is not easy to come by). He is the type of player that needs to be hit with the puck in stride as he breaks across the blue line or fed around the net. He has good speed and an accurate shot with a quick release. For most of last year he certainly wasn't getting that type of service from Kesler.

I would say that jury is still very much out with Booth. He needs to be better to justify his salary but you wonder if the groin situation is going to allow him to show more.

Right now you would have to say that if it comes down to Booth or Raymond you have to favor Raymond.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
His hit on doughty a few seconds into game 1? was insane. He just launched him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
they obviously have adapted at different rates, but each of our four big name florida acquisitions initially disappointed.

luongo: started kind of slowly for what we expected (8-9-1 out of the gate), then put together a season for the ages (39-13-5 the rest of the way).

ballard: sucked/was jerked around for two years, is currently good.

garrison: starting slow, adjusting...

booth: ya know?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
they obviously have adapted at different rates, but each of our four big name florida acquisitions initially disappointed.

Not just the florida acquisitions. Remember Alberts when we first got him vs Alberts the following season? Night and day.

I think the criticisms of Booth's game are fair, but they're the types of limitations all teams deal with in second line players. They'll do some things very well, and the things they don't will frustrate fans to no end, but that's why they're second liners and not first liners.

IMO last year Booth only hit a groove at one point last year, which was when the Amex line was clicking. When he came back from injury (quicker than expected IIRC), he wasn't 100%.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I like booth

His hair is most excellent.

2943107661_04f0893fd8_z.jpg

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

Booth has really good hands, and when he drives the net, he actually has moves to finish.
You can't really ask for more from a 2nd liner.
While he didn't seem to have chemistry with Kesler last year, I think it is more on Kesler.
Kesler needs to trust his teammates more, and once he passes more, I think they will be fine.

He may look lost in the defensive zone, but I think it has more to do with his unfamiliarity with the Canucks' system.
At the very least, he tries hard, and he makes an effort to backcheck and support.
I don't know about this year, but if he is healthy and is still with the team next year, I think he will do just fine.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Once again - as this topic seemingly cannot be discussed without it turning into an argument about religion and the ethics of hunting, this is being shut down.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad