What's with all these overpaid d-men?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
Has anyone else noticed that defencemen are making huge amounts of money in the latest signings for marginal amounts of talent. Here are a few examples:

Mike Rathje-PHI-5 years, 17.5 million
Derian Hatcher-PHI- 4 years, 14 million
Oleg Tverdovsky-3 years, 7.5 million
Vladimir Malakhov-2 years, 7.2 million
Dan McGillis-2 years, 8.4 million
Scott Niedermayer-4 years, 27 million
Chris Pronger-5 years, 31.25 million
Sergei Gonchar-5 years, 25 million
Adam Foote-3 years, 13.8 million
Adrian Aucoin-4 years, 16 million

Now these guys listed up here some are great top 5 in the league guys like Pronger and Niedermayer, but largely these guys are not amazing offensive talents, and guys like Tverdovsky and Malakhov should have been run out of the NHL. Tverdovsky was awful in NJ, and Malakhov just really doesn't seem to care.

So the question is, why are they getting so much money? When the NHL resumes, with the new rule changes the focus is supposed to be on offence, so why are these largely defensive d-men getting such huge dollars?

Have teams forgotten they need to sign forwards too?

Any ideas anyone?

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I think the Rathje, Hatcher, and Aucoin signings set a bad precedent, and things have gone from there. I'm not sure when it stops, though; with what's happened so far, would anybody be that surprised to see a guy like Mironov get $4 million?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Sens4Cup said:
Has anyone else noticed that defencemen are making huge amounts of money in the latest signings for marginal amounts of talent. Here are a few examples:

Now these guys listed up here some are great top 5 in the league guys like Pronger and Niedermayer, but largely these guys are not amazing offensive talents, and guys like Tverdovsky and Malakhov should have been run out of the NHL. Tverdovsky was awful in NJ, and Malakhov just really doesn't seem to care.

So the question is, why are they getting so much money? When the NHL resumes, with the new rule changes the focus is supposed to be on offence, so why are these largely defensive d-men getting such huge dollars?

Any ideas anyone?

Actually McGillis was $4.4M over two years - $2.2M/yr.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Sens4Cup said:

Any ideas anyone?
IMO what happened was that Dallas got desperate to sign Sergei Zubov and thus offered him a contract he couldnt refuse to not hit the UFA market. This got the overpayment ball rolling and the market was high. These later signers are getting more because the supply is realling beginning to dwindle.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if I agree about Malakhov....he was arguably one of Philly's best defenseman during the playoffs last year...

Nuclear

Jun 15, 2004
PA
jerseydevil said:
I don't know if I agree about Malakhov....he was arguably one of Philly's best defenseman during the playoffs last year...

He's lasy during the regular season though,

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Nuclear said:

Given the choice between a regular-season-slacker-playoff-performer and the reverse, I'll take the regular season slacker every time.

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
tmg said:
Given the choice between a regular-season-slacker-playoff-performer and the reverse, I'll take the regular season slacker every time.

Not if you need him to make the playoffs. A decent 5th defensemen during the season and 2nd defensemen during the playoffs.

LuZZo

Mar 3, 2004
Brooklyndevil said:
Actually it's $1.1mil per @ 2 years.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3742

It lists 2.2 as his compensation for the 2005/2006 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132422:

After Scott Niedermayer agreed to a four-year deal worth $27 million US with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, the Devils re-signed Brian Rafalski to an $8.4-million, two-year deal and also signed former Devils player Vladimir Malakhov to a $7.2-million, two-year deal, and also inked Dan McGillis to a $4.4-million, two-year deal.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
LuZZo said:
http://www.nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=3742

It lists 2.2 as his compensation for the 2005/2006 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132422:

After Scott Niedermayer agreed to a four-year deal worth $27 million US with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, the Devils re-signed Brian Rafalski to an $8.4-million, two-year deal and also signed former Devils player Vladimir Malakhov to a $7.2-million, two-year deal, and also inked Dan McGillis to a $4.4-million, two-year deal.

It's listed on Sportsnet.ca as 8.4 million for McGillis but they must have meant to put that for Rafalski. I was almost about to have an aneurysm if McGillis got 4.2 million to be a 4th or 5th d-man. It makes alot more sense now. But Malakhov I don't think is worth anywhere near 3.6 million. He hasn't produced in quite some time and few teams were in the bidding for him so it doesn't make sense to overpay him like that.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Nuclear said:

He doesn't play very physical during the regular season, but IMO he still plays extremely well. Rathje is another of my favorite underhyped defensemen, who gets the job done without flash. Lidstrom used to be that way until media people noticed that he is getting almost a point per game, and then the hype machine was turned on. IMO both Rathje and Malakhov are excellent #2 defensemen and their contracts are not so outrageous. Malik at 2.5 mil, and Hatcher at almost 4mil is another story :amazed:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are defenseman getting paid big amounts ???

It's all about supply and demand. Legitimate top pairing defenseman are scarce. Far easier to find a winger to put up 20-40 than it is to find a reliable defenseman to play 22+ minutes a night

jacketracket*

Sens4Cup said:
" ... marginal amounts of talent ... "? :dunno:

Gonchar, Pronger Niedermayer, Foote ...

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
jacketracket said:
" ... marginal amounts of talent ... "? :dunno:

Gonchar, Pronger Niedermayer, Foote ...

I'm moreso referring to Malakhov, Rathje, Hatcher, etc. But Foote is still quite expensive for a defensive d-man.

Columbus at least made a good offensive signing with Berard, and relatively cheaply too. Guys like Hatcher I think will show Philly that they're too slow to keep up with Ottawa, Tampa Bay, and any team in the Western Conference.

jacketracket*

Sens4Cup said:
I'm moreso referring to Malakhov, Rathje, Hatcher, etc. But Foote is still quite expensive for a defensive d-man.
I disagree. Foote is one of the top all-around D-men, with leadershgip qualities to boot.

Compare Foote's even-strength point production to that of the other, more offensive-minded D-men, over the past couple of seasons.

ClosetOilersFan

Aug 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
Perhaps it's because defense and goaltending is perhaps the most important part of the game? A team is much more likely to make noise if they have sound defense and goaltending with medocre offense than great offense without any D or goaltending.

I assume that spending 4-6 million for your #1 or #2 D-man isn't really that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad