what's up with the non-capacity crowd announced as a sellout?

downtown56

Mar 5, 2008
Probably not counting the suite seats, restaurant ledge seats, those table seats around the goal bar and lower and upper concourse

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I believe they lowered the capacity of the arena. I think they used to count goal bar seats(?) but they no longer count certain seats.

I think TG alluded to it.

that makes sense but then what is capacity? the isles game had a slightly higher number than this game and that wasn't announced as a sellout.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
that makes sense but then what is capacity? the isles game had a slightly higher number than this game and that wasn't announced as a sellout.

I don't know honestly. Maybe this is something new? Again it's not confirmed just going off of what TG said. But the arena was certainly a sell-out tonight. Everything was packed in the bowl (except the blacks but there were a ton of people eating their free food). The concourses were packed. It was very much a sell-out.

So they must have either changed capacity or about 1100 people snuck in.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
I don't know honestly. Maybe this is something new? Again it's not confirmed just going off of what TG said. But the arena was certainly a sell-out tonight. Everything was packed in the bowl (except the blacks but there were a ton of people eating their free food). The concourses were packed. It was very much a sell-out.

the clubs looked half empty on tv.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

No wonder we were broke. 1100 people get in for free :laugh:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
Probably not counting the suite seats, restaurant ledge seats, those table seats around the goal bar and lower and upper concourse

Goal bar makes sense since it's not on any seating map. It's 6 sections, 3 rows a section, with (I think) 24 seats a row.

Still missing quite a few seats and I doubt they stopped counting suites.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
No wonder we were broke. 1100 people get in for free :laugh:

:laugh:

For people who don't know (this might get deleted and sorry if it's not appropriate):

If you go in through the Devils Den and stand in line at the box office - if you make a right through that little hallway before you go in, it's a clear path into the arena.

No one asks for your ticket. No one is standing by the door. I saw about a dozen people walk right in.

So maybe 1100 people didn't sneak in but people certainly do. :D

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
:laugh:

For people who don't know (this might get deleted and sorry if it's not appropriate):

If you go in through the Devils Den and stand in line at the box office - if you make a right through that little hallway before you go in, it's a clear path into the arena.

No one asks for your ticket. No one is standing by the door. I saw about a dozen people walk right in.

So maybe 1100 people didn't sneak in but people certainly do. :D

I mean you cant go to your seat in most cases without a ticket. The ushers normally ask for it

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

I'd be curious to know what the official sellout number is then. I mean there have been very few games where all those seats have been sold yet the Devils still announced 17625.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Club seats are poorly designed for TV. Most people stand inside the bar area and not in their seats.

Exactly this. We aren't the only team with this problem either. I know some other arenas use seat fillers from the upper bowls. No real good solution to have those seats filled without taking room from the bars away.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Were the revenue sharing rules changed? Used to be Devils and Isles weren't eligible because of the market. If so, lower capacity = better chance to reach capacity targets to qualify for $$?

Totally speculating, but that would be genius if they could get away with it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's a legitimate question though, since apparently capacity is over 1000 seats lower. Not only that, but the listed number was actually a tad HIGHER for the Isles game and that wasn't called a sellout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad