Whats up with Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He is struggling but to be fair and as second year players like him and a guy like Barzal things are going to be tighter checking. Laine is only one pt behind Barzal, who is also minus 6, at least Laine is only minus 1.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
laine only has 4 TOTAL points this season? I didn’t believe it. Once I saw, I figured the Jets has only played 3 games or something. I was shocked to see they’ve already played 6 games!!

4 points in 6 games for a guy I’ve been told is capable of 70+ goals and 130+ points a season seems bad

Reactions: jasonleaffan

paragon

May 5, 2010
In wonder if they have talked to Laine about his problem with video games and not focusing enough on his hockey career? Especially considering laines extremely disappointing start to the season
What is this? He plays like 3 hours a day on his downtime. It's not like he's skipping practice to play. If he was watching 3 hours of tv instead no one would bat an eye.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
No need to worry about him. One the best p60 in the league. When his icetime gets bigger he is a PPG+ 50 goal player. Chill
I kind of agree, but from what I seen so far I am not impressed with his 5on5. I have never seen McDavid or Matthews or anyone else on that level have a game as bad as Laine's last. Looked like Stu Grimson.

I think he will be a a great sniper in combo with good linemates. He will never be any kind of dominating player in a Lemieuxesque fashion like many of his fans said. I said I see Brett Hull and that is still the case. Fantastic goalscorer.

Reactions: libertarian

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I kind of agree, but from what I seen so far I am not impressed with his 5on5. I have never seen McDavid or Matthews or anyone else on that level have a game as bad as Laine's last. Looked like Stu Grimson.

I think he will be a a great sniper in combo with good linemates. He will never be any kind of dominating player in a Lemieuxesque fashion like many of his fans said. I said I see Brett Hull and that is still the case. Fantastic goalscorer.

Ya, yesterday talked on how his development seems slower than the other elite of the elite young players.

Would love to see him be a bigger threat on the ice, shift after shift. Now it's more here or there still relying on his shot.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Ya, yesterday talked on how his development seems slower than the other elite of the elite young players.

Would love to see him be a bigger threat on the ice, shift after shift. Now it's more here or there still relying on his shot.
Agree. But I don't think Winnipeg is using him the way they should. If he is a Brett Hull type he should play next to Scheifele. He is a perennial Rocket winner if he gets to play first line minutes and of course PP time. I don't think he is a line driver. It is not his thing so why force it.

Reactions: mattihp

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Sorry, being one point short of being on pace to score the same as last year means he's a bust.

and the 1 goal his last 10 games last year and 5 in 17 playoff games?

there are threads about how laine could be the greatest goal scorer EVER

if the kid proceeds to have a 31 game stretch where he only manages 7 goals, it deserves to be discussed

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agree. But I don't think Winnipeg is using him the way they should. If he is a Brett Hull type he should play next to Scheifele. He is a perennial Rocket winner if he gets to play first line minutes and of course PP time. I don't think he is a line driver. It is not his thing so why force it.

It would be leaving lot of his potential on the table if they just did that, if they made the line change now it should be done for more balanced scoring.

It all starts from his skating and getting it to a next level, it could/would make a huge difference to his game.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
What´s up with Laine? Besides him scoring again tonight is that this player who already has put up 70 points over a season and does not become a ghost as soon as opponents play physical on him is getting his wheels going.

Also he plays for a team that in fact has had success over the last half century which is promising unlike... some other players...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He had 4 goals and 6 points by the end of October last year. He had 6 goals and 8 points by the end of October the year before. He's now at 3 goals and 5 points with 5 games left to play in October.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Nope. 3+2=5 in 7GP in which 3+1 are PP-points. -1, Shooting 10.7%. 0.71 PPG, 0.43 GPG.

Sample is still minuscule.
He has not played 7 games since October 12, when this thread was made.

This thread was made after the game vs Nashville, so I think he has 3 points in 3 games after that.

Last edited:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Does he not look more mobile this season? Eye test says he's improved his skating.

Also, how many hours a day do pros need to dedicate to hockey? Like the video game thing seems overblown concidering it would be crazy to train/play for 10 hours a day.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
and the 1 goal his last 10 games last year and 5 in 17 playoff games?

there are threads about how laine could be the greatest goal scorer EVER

if the kid proceeds to have a 31 game stretch where he only manages 7 goals, it deserves to be discussed
So it’s easy for a 20 year old to score in the playoffs. Oh it is??? Just ask Matthews!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Actually after the 3-0 loss against the Preds

Laine since this thread was made on Oct. 12:

GP: 3
G: 2
A: 1
+-: Even

Before the thread was made:

GP: 4
G: 1
A: 1
+-: -1

Classic HFBoards anti-jinx thread. Thank you OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->