What's up with Aho?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
And Aho would?

Is he better than Matthews and Tavares now?

Then we'd be in even more cap trouble than we are and would probably be trading Aho to a team like Carolina. I'm fine with Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Dermott thanks.
You could trade Nylander or even Marner for more upgrade on the blue line.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
You sure Puljujärvi understands finnish? He doesnt seem like the brightest out there. Maybe Aho could draw it for him?
CXgAr0o.gif

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Already four points behind Matthews. I think he needs a goal scorer on his wing as otherwise a lot of his playmaking potential goes to waste in missed goal opportunities. Would a trade for struggling Laine make sense for Carolina?

Strugglig Laine?

Detractor been saying that since day one and he pumped in

Goals

Now 2 in 5 is not bad....

Aho to Jets is better...

Thanks

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
And Aho would?

Is he better than Matthews and Tavares now?

Right now, Aho is 3th in points and leads (together with Demelo) in +/- with +8
While 16 points Metthews has only +1!!! His defensive skills doesn't seem to be that brilliant. It's "easy" to make points if you just concentrate on that.

I mean, Matthews and Tavares are magical players and I guess I can say without problems that at least currently they are better. But what I am saying, Aho is actually not that far from their level that your post maybe little bit indicate (= definitely not). And soon we could even start to argue seriously, who actually is better.

It requires longer period of playing in current level by Aho that he really can be put to same basket, but we might see it during this year.

With all respect to Matthews and Tavares, they propably started to take "good vitamins" already before entering NHL. Aho for sure just after entering. So physically it has taken bit longer for Aho to reach the necessary level for this high game.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't think I'd ever say this but honestly I might even take Aho over Eichel at this point..
Without a shadow of a doubt. Real hockey and fantasy. Now the real hockey part im not suprised about but in fantasy i never thought it would get to this.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Right now, Aho is 3th in points and leads (together with Demelo) in +/- with +8
While 16 points Metthews has only +1!!! His defensive skills doesn't seem to be that brilliant. It's "easy" to make points if you just concentrate on that.

I mean, Matthews and Tavares are magical players and I guess I can say without problems that at least currently they are better. But what I am saying, Aho is actually not that far from their level that your post maybe little bit indicate (= definitely not). And soon we could even start to argue seriously, who actually is better.

It requires longer period of playing in current level by Aho that he really can be put to same basket, but we might see it during this year.

With all respect to Matthews and Tavares, they propably started to take "good vitamins" already before entering NHL. Aho for sure just after entering. So physically it has taken bit longer for Aho to reach the necessary level for this high game.
Using your argument Aho would be better than Crosby and McDavid.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Using your argument Aho would be better than Crosby and McDavid.

You understood me wrong a bit, but decisively. My whole point was that we cannot say that he's not better AT the moment. But we can say that he's not that far from that level as still many thinks (or many still barely even know the guy) and he might actually reach that level soon.

Simply few games are not enough for anyone to say that he's in that level (and 2 first seasons he was not yet, but developing to that direction).

My answer was regarding Marner-discussion, where I replied to guy who did keep it as basic fact that Aho is not even comparable to that superstar level.

So yes, he cannot yet to be said to be there, but he's not that far. Propably in 6 months many will understand that better

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You understood me wrong a bit, but decisively. My whole point was that we cannot say that he's not better AT the moment. But we can say that he's not that far from that level as still many thinks (or many still barely even know the guy) and he might actually reach that level soon.

Simply few games are not enough for anyone to say that he's in that level (and 2 first seasons he was not yet, but developing to that direction).

My answer was regarding Marner-discussion, where I replied to guy who did keep it as basic fact that Aho is not even comparable to that superstar level.

So yes, he cannot yet to be said to be there, but he's not that far. Propably in 6 months many will understand that better
You’re right. That’s a lot more reasonable.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
I have to bump this. He's the smartest player out there not named Barkov. He's coming to burn down your village, in a low key and polite manner with TT and Ferland...cause that's how they roll!

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Top 5 forward right now, blowing out guys like Marner (and I say this as a Leafs fan).. the only reason he's not more on the forefront is the Canes lower market profile. He's doing crazy things with minimal support.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He's absolutely incredible to watch. Could be a top 5 player in the world one day and conceivably could end up the 2nd best player from the 2015 draft. He's one of the single most consistent players I have ever seen in the NHL

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Watching the game on replay but ....ng hell he's good.

His skating is unreal.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I posted this quote by Aho a couple weeks ago, but it's 4 pages back. I think it bears repeating for anyone who might be tuning into this thread late.

In a postgame interview a Canes announcer mentioned that Aho looked faster and stronger on his skates this year and asked him if there was something in particular he had worked on over the summer. Aho's response: "I've been working for 21 years now to get better and I'm not done. I want to be better everyday."

That, as much as anything else, is why I believe Aho is destined for stardom.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
With an assist on Ferland's powerplay goal, 21 year old Sebastian Aho sets a new Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes record for point streak to start the season, breaking Ron Francis' record of 11 games with 17 in 12 to start the campaign.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
How come there isn't more talk on this guy? He's only 21 years old and is top 20 in NHL scoring on a team that doesn't score much. I'd take him in the top 5 of a 2015 re-draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->