what's there after top 5 if???

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
What kind of player are we looking at if we finish out of the top 5 picks.Arizona,Carolina, Edmonton, Columbus and perhaps Philadelphia could finish worse than us.so what type of player are we looking at after 5.also what type of player in the islanders and blues picks we looking at

ZeroPT*

Finishing out of the top 5 picks would be virtually impossible

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Pointless hypothetical. We won't finish outside of the top 5. According to this, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of us finishing bottom 2 in the standings.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Pointless hypothetical. We won't finish outside of the top 5. According to this, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of us finishing bottom 2 in the standings.

This.

Also, Tsuji, if we can't get higher in the 1st rd with those two additional picks, what are we looking at in the 20 to 30 range? Wingers perhaps?

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I think the more relevant questions is what is there around 10-15 if somehow the Sabres move up that high.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Aside from the fact the Sabres simply will not drop that far down the order, there is plenty available.

Assuming the top 4 is McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, and Marner in some order, then there are still (in nor particular order):

Strome
Kylington
Zacha
Werenski
Barzal
Crouse
Rantanen
Merkley
Sprong

etc.

There's plenty of strong talent available in this draft beyond the very loaded top as well.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This.

Also, Tsuji, if we can't get higher in the 1st rd with those two additional picks, what are we looking at in the 20 to 30 range? Wingers perhaps?

I hope we're looking at wingers. (My pet favorite in the 20-40 range is Korostelev; great release, loves to shoot, good hands, smart forechecker who's adept at forcing turnovers in the offensive zone (though I've seen some say he's inconsistent in that regard), and he's got pretty good size too). In general, I'm hoping we swing for the fences with high-ceiling picks there; we've got so much depth in our pool already that I don't see the point in swinging for just a base hit.

Aside from the fact the Sabres simply will not drop that far down the order, there is plenty available.

Assuming the top 4 is McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, and Marner in some order, then there are still (in nor particular order):

Strome
Kylington
Zacha
Werenski
Barzal
Crouse
Rantanen
Merkley
Sprong

etc.

There's plenty of strong talent available in this draft beyond the very loaded top as well.

That's an interesting name to watch for outside of the top 5. He's been slowly losing ground after a bit of an underwhelming start and then missing time to injury while other guys increased their stock, but he's got boatloads of talent. Could end up being a big-time steal for somebody in the middle of the first. I'm curious to see how he closes out the year, once he's had a little while to shake off the rust.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Basically what everyone else said, the chances are very slim. If we do pick beyond 5 it'll be nothing less than a colossal failure for the organization. (not saying we're doomed, just an organizational failure)

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com

Strome
Kylington
Zacha
Werenski
Barzal
Crouse
Rantanen
Merkley
Sprong

etc.

Strome has been impressive. Sue he plays with McDavid on a powerhouse Erie team but he's strong on the pick and seems to have great hockey sense. However, Barzal has impressed. This years top is strong, much better than last years.

Nevertheless, with the first puck in the 2015 NHL draft, the Buffalo Sabres select .....

Then we will have to wait til the 20's

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
We will be drafting someone in the top 5 this year. It may as well be treated as a fact. I'd also say it's very unlikely, though not nearly as unlikely, that we're able to trade up to have a pick somewhere between #5-#10, so prospects pegged to go there are probably the most irrelevant prospects in the draft unless they slip further down. That is, if they're actually going to go in that range -- some of these guys are gonna wind up available later, so we might have a shot. The range of players in different outlets' top 10's is very large right now.

Strome
Kylington
Zacha
Werenski
Barzal
Crouse
Rantanen
Merkley
Sprong

etc.

Some other possible top 10 or 15's (based on scouting services):
Provorov
J. Roy
Svechnikov
Connor
Konecny

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad